Want to learn about string theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding string theory and the necessary background knowledge needed to fully comprehend it. References and resources are recommended, including books and online courses, but it is emphasized that a deep understanding of the theory requires extensive education in math and physics. The conversation also warns against relying solely on a single book, as it may cause more confusion than clarity. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and challenges of understanding string theory, especially for someone who has just graduated from high school.
Mary curie
Hello !
I have just graduated from high school but I have a big interest in the strings theory. I am trying to understand its roots aka from where/ how did it come!
To that I Need some references for my research, references to make me understand the bases only !
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As my high school physics teacher said, this is "beyond the scope of this course, the next one, and the one after that". You're about twenty or thirty courses away from where you need to be.

Well, to fully understand the "why"s and "how"s, I believe you'd have to be a theoretical physicist. But I did read a book that gave me some good first insights into it, so I guess it can help you.
The book is: "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.
But before you read that, if you'd like to have a better first look into quantum mechanics, I'd recommend : "Big Bang" by Simon Singh.
The later is the book that got me into physics in the first place. It starts off slowly, but it covers much physics up to the present (or at least up to 2005), ranging through astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology and quantum theory.
Other than that, I'd recommend getting a PhD. And watching some Youtube videos (Sixty Symbols and PB Space Time are great channels)

Likes Mary curie
The only undergraduate-level book that tries to teach string theory that I am aware of is by Professor Zwiebach at MIT:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521880327/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There is an MIT OpenCourseWare University course that is based on the book, using the first edition from 2007:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-251-string-theory-for-undergraduates-spring-2007/index.htm

However, even this is a bit of a misnomer because the 'average' undergraduate senior at MIT is likely in the top 1% of all students in the country.

You need to have three years of college-level math and physics at a high level (as in MIT level, hardcore stuff) to have a reasonable chance of understanding most of what is in the simplest textbook on string theory. Even that is a slightly watered-down version of the theory.

Professor Zwiebach taught an online course on quantum mechanics that was pretty challenging - it was actually at the level of the real course taught at MIT.

If you are a second year student in college you *might* have a reasonable chance at understanding physics at that level.

I fear that if you try to dive into string theory you would be like a JV high school student who gets tackled by a NFL linebacker. You are not ready for things at that level if you just graduated from high school. You will most likely get crushed.

Likes Mary curie
Vanadium 50 said:
As my high school physics teacher said, this is "beyond the scope of this course, the next one, and the one after that". You're about twenty or thirty courses away from where you need to be.

So no way !?

ensign_nemo said:
The only undergraduate-level book that tries to teach string theory that I am aware of is by Professor Zwiebach at MIT:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521880327/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There is an MIT OpenCourseWare University course that is based on the book, using the first edition from 2007:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-251-string-theory-for-undergraduates-spring-2007/index.htm

However, even this is a bit of a misnomer because the 'average' undergraduate senior at MIT is likely in the top 1% of all students in the country.

You need to have three years of college-level math and physics at a high level (as in MIT level, hardcore stuff) to have a reasonable chance of understanding most of what is in the simplest textbook on string theory. Even that is a slightly watered-down version of the theory.

Professor Zwiebach taught an online course on quantum mechanics that was pretty challenging - it was actually at the level of the real course taught at MIT.

If you are a second year student in college you *might* have a reasonable chance at understanding physics at that level.

I fear that if you try to dive into string theory you would be like a JV high school student who gets tackled by a NFL linebacker. You are not ready for things at that level if you just graduated from high school. You will most likely get crushed.

Thank you and I am taking your words into consideration!

abilolado said:
Well, to fully understand the "why"s and "how"s, I believe you'd have to be a theoretical physicist. But I did read a book that gave me some good first insights into it, so I guess it can help you.
But before you read that, if you'd like to have a better first look into quantum mechanics, I'd recommend : "Big Bang" by Simon Singh.
The later is the book that got me into physics in the first place. It starts off slowly, but it covers much physics up to the present (or at least up to 2005), ranging through astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology and quantum theory.
Other than that, I'd recommend getting a PhD. And watching some Youtube videos (Sixty Symbols and PB Space Time are great channels)

Yeah I also found the documentaries of the first book! Thank you sooo match!

abilolado said:
There have been numerous posts here on PF about how his books cause more confusion than illumination, so @Mary curie I recommend against them. Do a forum search for his name if you want to see what I mean. For example I particularly recommend reading this entire thread (it's not too long).

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...imension-x4-using-limits.880038/#post-5528934

Mary curie said:
So no way !?

No right away.

I'm not saying you can't ever learn it, but you can't jump to the end. There's a lot of middle left to cover.

Mary curie said:
Hello !
I have just graduated from high school but I have a big interest in the strings theory. I am trying to understand its roots aka from where/ how did it come!
Hi, Mary curie!

"Physics is the path to string theory. Physics leads to quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics leads to particle physics. Particle physics leads to string theory. String theory leads to suffering." - Master Yoda on String Theory

Seriously, here are two introductory clips which briefly describe some of what you are asking about:

Brian Cox and Leonard Susskind on String Theory

Superstrings (Fermilab)

Last edited:
@Mary curie , you are enthusiasm is good . But its not the right time for you to start learning it . If you do start things will be very very complicated to you . You must build yourself appropriately first .

Related to Want to learn about string theory

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force). It proposes that particles are not point-like objects, but rather tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These vibrations give rise to the different properties and behaviors of particles.

Why is it called string theory?

String theory is called so because it describes particles as tiny strings rather than point-like objects. These strings are thought to be one-dimensional and have no width or height, only length. This concept is based on the idea that if we could zoom in far enough on a particle, we would see that it is not a tiny point, but a tiny vibrating string.

What are the implications of string theory?

If string theory is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would provide a framework for a unified theory of physics, merging quantum mechanics and general relativity into one cohesive theory. It could also potentially explain phenomena that are currently unexplainable, such as the behavior of black holes and the origin of the universe.

How is string theory different from other theories of physics?

String theory differs from other theories of physics because it attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and the forces of nature in a more comprehensive and unified way. It also introduces the concept of extra dimensions, beyond the three dimensions of space and one of time that we experience in our everyday lives. These extra dimensions are thought to be curled up and not directly observable, but they play a crucial role in the behavior of strings.

Is string theory testable?

Currently, string theory is a theoretical framework and has not been proven through experiments. However, there are ongoing efforts to test some of its predictions, such as the existence of extra dimensions and the properties of particles. As technology advances, it is possible that experiments will provide evidence for or against string theory in the future.