Volumes of revolution not around the axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a revolved curve using integral formulas for volumes by discs, washers, and cylinders. The suggested approach is to translate the curve so that the axis of revolution is along the X axis, then integrate and subtract from the volume of a cylinder with a radius of 8 and height of 2. The method is confirmed by another contributor using the washer method.
SheldonG

Homework Statement

Find the volume of [itex] y = 2x^2 [/itex] y = 0, x = 2 when it is revolved around the line y = 8.

Homework Equations

Integral formulas for volumes by discs, washers and cylinders.

The Attempt at a Solution

Translate the curve so that axis of revolution is along the X axis. Is this the right idea? This gives [itex] y = 2x^2 - 8 [/itex] . I would integrate this and subtract from the volume of the cylinder with radius 8 and height 2:

[tex] \pi(8^2)(2) - \int_0^2 \pi(2x^2 - 8)^2\,dx [/tex]

Is this the right approach?

Thanks,
Sheldon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks correct to me.

Thanks Dick, I really appreciate it.

[tex]\pi\int_0^2 [ (8)^2 - (8 - 2x^2)^2 ] \,dx[/tex]

I think that works, because if you use the washer method, the outer radius is just the part that has a y-length of 8, and the inner radius is the part above the function and under y=8, so using pi (R^2 - r^2) integrated, that's what I get. Hope that helps :)

orb said:
[tex]\pi\int_0^2 [ (8)^2 - (8 - 2x^2)^2 ] \,dx[/tex]

I think that works, because if you use the washer method, the outer radius is just the part that has a y-length of 8, and the inner radius is the part above the function and under y=8, so using pi (R^2 - r^2) integrated, that's what I get. Hope that helps :)

It's the same thing he already wrote.

Related to Volumes of revolution not around the axis

1. What is a volume of revolution not around the axis?

A volume of revolution not around the axis is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis that is not one of its sides. This creates a solid shape with a hole in the middle. It is also known as a torus or a ring-shaped solid.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution not around the axis?

The volume of a solid of revolution not around the axis can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(R(x))^2 dx, where R(x) is the distance from the axis to the edge of the shape at any given point. This formula is similar to the formula for calculating the volume of a solid of revolution around the axis, but instead of using the radius, we use R(x) to account for the varying distance from the axis.

3. What shapes can be used to create volumes of revolution not around the axis?

Any two-dimensional shape can be used to create a volume of revolution not around the axis. Some common shapes include circles, squares, triangles, and even more complex shapes like ellipses or parabolas. The only requirement is that the shape is rotated around an axis that is not one of its sides.

4. What are some real-life applications of volumes of revolution not around the axis?

Volumes of revolution not around the axis have various real-life applications. Some examples include doughnuts, inner tubes, and car tires, which are all shaped like volumes of revolution not around the axis. In mathematics, these shapes are also used to model objects like pipes, tunnels, and roller coasters.

5. Are there any limitations to using volumes of revolution not around the axis in mathematical calculations?

One limitation of using volumes of revolution not around the axis is that the shape must be symmetrical. This means that the shape must be rotated around an axis that passes through its center of mass. Additionally, the shape must also have a continuous boundary, meaning it has no holes or gaps. These limitations must be considered when using volumes of revolution not around the axis in mathematical calculations.