Volume of solid formed by revolution of one loop of Lemniscate of bernoulli

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid formed by the revolution of one loop of the lemniscate of Bernoulli about the initial line θ = 0. Using a relevant formula and a trig identity, a substitution can be used to simplify the integral and solve the problem.
raghavhv
Hello ppl. I have a problem in finding out the volume of solid formed by the revolution of one loop of lemniscate of bernoulli ( r²=a²cos2θ) about the initial line θ =0
Using the relevant forumula for the volume of the solid generated by the revolution of one loop of the polar curve about the initial line,

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/4228/93696380jt5.jpg ,

where V is the volume of the solid and π/4 and 0 are the upper and lower limits respectively.

In this problem ,

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6624/19344682ul0.jpg

But i am not able to integrate further. I am kinda stuck here. What substitution should i take?Please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
raghavhv said:
Hello ppl. I have a problem in finding out the volume of solid formed by the revolution of one loop of lemniscate of bernoulli ( r²=a²cos2θ) about the initial line θ =0

Using the relevant forumula for the volume of the solid generated by the revolution of one loop of the polar curve about the initial line,

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/4228/93696380jt5.jpg ,

where V is the volume of the solid and π/4 and 0 are the upper and lower limits respectively.

In this problem ,

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6624/19344682ul0.jpg

But i am not able to integrate further. I am kinda stuck here. What substitution should i take?Please help me.

Try using the following trig identity:

[tex]cos(2 \theta )=2cos^2( \theta )-1[/tex]

And then use a substitution like [tex]u \equiv \sqrt{2} cos( \theta ) [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Volume of solid formed by revolution of one loop of Lemniscate of bernoulli

What is the definition of "Volume of solid formed by revolution of one loop of Lemniscate of Bernoulli"?

The volume of solid formed by revolution of one loop of Lemniscate of Bernoulli is the three-dimensional space enclosed by the surface created when a loop of the Lemniscate of Bernoulli is rotated around an axis. This surface is known as a Lemniscate Torus.

How is the volume of the Lemniscate Torus calculated?

The volume of the Lemniscate Torus can be calculated using the formula V = π²r³, where r is the distance from the center of the torus to the center of the loop. This formula is derived from the parametric equations of the Lemniscate of Bernoulli.

What is the significance of the Lemniscate of Bernoulli in mathematics?

The Lemniscate of Bernoulli is a special type of curve with a unique shape that has fascinated mathematicians for centuries. It is named after Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli and has many interesting properties and applications, including in the calculation of the volume of the Lemniscate Torus.

What are some real-life examples of the Lemniscate Torus?

The Lemniscate Torus appears in various natural and man-made structures, such as the shape of a donut, the orbits of planets around the sun, and the shape of some DNA molecules. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as in the design of pipelines and water turbines.

Are there any other interesting facts about the Lemniscate Torus?

Yes, there are many interesting facts about the Lemniscate Torus, including its connection to the Pythagorean theorem and its ability to be constructed using only a compass and straightedge. It is also a beautiful and elegant shape that has inspired many artists and mathematicians throughout history.