Find volume of solid generated (Calc 2)

In summary, the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region in the first quadrant bounded by the coordinate axes, the curve y=e^x, and the line x = ln 2 about the line x= ln 2 is 4π.
lovex25
[solved]Find volume of solid generated (Calc 2)

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region in the first quadrant bounded by the coordinate axes, the curve y=e^x, and the line x = ln 2 about the line x= ln 2.

So I tried graphing it to see visually, and the expression I got for calculating the volume was ∫π(ln2-lny)^2dy, evaluating from 0 to 2 using disk method, and the answer I got was 4π, but apparently that doesn't match the answer in the back of the book. I'd really appreciate if someone can help me out!

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9792/xll8.jpg

Off topic: First time posting a thread here, may I ask how do you type the mathematical symbols such as the integral sign and whatnot, or do I have to manually copy and paste from other website?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello lovex25,

As you did, a good first step for these problems is to sketch a graph of the region to be revolved, and the axis of rotation:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1349._xfImport

Using the shell method, the volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=\ln(2)-x\)

\(\displaystyle h=e^x\)

and so we find:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi \left(\ln(2)-x \right)e^x\,dx\)

Now, you want to sum up the shells by integrating:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^{\ln(2)}\left(\ln(2)-x \right)e^x\,dx\)

To make things a bit simpler, I would use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=e^x\,\therefore\,du=e^x\,dx\)

and we now may state:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_1^2\ln(2)-\ln(u)\,du\)

Can you proceed?

Now, as far as posting mathematical expressions, this site supports $\LaTeX$, and a good tutorial written by our own Sudharaka can be found here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-tips-tutorials-56/math-help-boards-latex-guide-pdf-1142.html

Attachments

• lovex25.jpg
    lovex25.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 74
MarkFL said:
Hello lovex25,

As you did, a good first step for these problems is to sketch a graph of the region to be revolved, and the axis of rotation:

View attachment 1349

Using the shell method, the volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=\ln(2)-x\)

\(\displaystyle h=e^x\)

and so we find:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi \left(\ln(2)-x \right)e^x\,dx\)

Now, you want to sum up the shells by integrating:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^{\ln(2)}\left(\ln(2)-x \right)e^x\,dx\)

To make things a bit simpler, I would use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=e^x\,\therefore\,du=e^x\,dx\)

and we now may state:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_1^2\ln(2)-\ln(u)\,du\)

Can you proceed?

Now, as far as posting mathematical expressions, this site supports $\LaTeX$, and a good tutorial written by our own Sudharaka can be found here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-tips-tutorials-56/math-help-boards-latex-guide-pdf-1142.html

thanks so much! finally i was able to match the answer to the back of the book, and I realized what went wrong with my attempt: I didn't separate the integrals to 2 different functions. As for the LaTeX software I'll look into it soon, thanks again!

I personally prefer the discs method. Here you would need to split up your region of integration into two regions, the first being the rectangle below the point (0,1), and the second being the remaining region above it.

As for the volume of the region below (0,1) generated when rotating, that's easy, it's simply a cylinder of radius [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{(2)} \end{align*}[/tex] units and height 1 unit, so its volume is [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \pi \left[ \ln{(2)} \right] ^2 \end{align*}[/tex].

As for the volume of the region above (0,1), if we consider horizontal discs, they will each have radius [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{(2)} - \ln{(y)} \end{align*}[/tex] and a height [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \Delta y \end{align*}[/tex], where [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \Delta y \end{align*}[/tex] is some small change in y. So their total volume can be approximated by

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &\approx \sum \pi \left[ \ln{(2)} - \ln{(y)} \right] ^2 \Delta y \\ &= \pi \sum \left[ \ln{(2)} - \ln{(y)} \right] ^2 \Delta y \\ &= \pi \sum \left\{ \left[ \ln{(2)} \right] ^2 - 2\ln{(2)}\ln{(y)} + \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^2 \right\} \Delta y \end{align*}[/tex]

And then as we increase the number of discs, making [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \Delta y \end{align*}[/tex] smaller, the sum converges on an integral and the approximation becomes exact, so the total volume is

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \pi \int_1^2{ \left[ \ln{(2)} \right] ^2 - 2\ln{(2)}\ln{(y)} + \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^2 \, dy }\end{align*}[/tex]

which is possible to be integrated :)

Related to Find volume of solid generated (Calc 2)

1. How do you find the volume of a solid using calculus?

To find the volume of a solid generated using calculus, you will need to use the technique of integration. This involves breaking down the solid into smaller, more manageable pieces and then summing up their volumes using the integral formula.

2. What is the difference between finding the volume of a solid using integration and using geometry?

The main difference between finding the volume of a solid using integration and using geometry is that integration can handle more complex shapes and can also find the volume of solids with curved surfaces. On the other hand, geometry is limited to finding the volume of simple shapes such as cubes, cylinders, and cones.

3. Can you give an example of finding the volume of a solid using integration?

One example would be finding the volume of a cone with a height of 10 cm and a base radius of 5 cm. Using the formula for the volume of a cone, V = (1/3)πr^2h, and integrating from 0 to 10, we can find that the volume of the cone is approximately 261.8 cm^3.

4. What are some common solid shapes that are generated using calculus?

Some common solid shapes that can be generated using calculus include spheres, cylinders, cones, pyramids, and more complex shapes such as toroids and spheroids.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding the volume of solids using calculus?

Yes, there are many practical applications for finding the volume of solids using calculus. Some examples include calculating the volume of tanks, containers, and other 3D objects for engineering and construction purposes. It can also be used in physics to find the volume of objects with irregular shapes, such as rocks or biological structures.