Volume of Grand Coulee Dam: Calc via Slices

• Thread starter Shinaolord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, a dam has a rectangular base 1500 meters long and 140 meters wide. Its cross-section is shown in the figure. (The Grand Coulee Dam in Washington state is roughly this size.) By slicing horizontally, set up and evaluate a definite integral giving the volume of material used to build this dam.
Shinaolord

Homework Statement

A dam has a rectangular base 1500 meters long and 140 meters wide. Its cross-section is shown in the figure. (The Grand Coulee Dam in Washington state is roughly this size.) By slicing horizontally, set up and evaluate a definite integral giving the volume of material used to build this dam.

The height at the top is 10m, bottom is 140m, and the height is 130m.

Homework Equations

I tried to use similar triangles but I really have no idea how to do this.
Any suggestions?

The Attempt at a Solution

130-h / 130 = w/140
w= 130-(h/130)
but integrating this and multiplying by the base (1500) gives the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shinaolord said:

Homework Statement

A dam has a rectangular base 1500 meters long and 140 meters wide. Its cross-section is shown in the figure. (The Grand Coulee Dam in Washington state is roughly this size.) By slicing horizontally, set up and evaluate a definite integral giving the volume of material used to build this dam.

Homework Equations

Any suggestions?

130-h / 130 = w/140
w= 130-(h/130)
Can you post the figure?

Likes 1 person
Yes, here.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 800
Shinaolord said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Any suggestions?

130-h / 130 = w/140
w= 130-(h/130)

When h= 0 you are getting w = 130 and when h = 130 you are getting w = 129. Both wrong. Redo your linear equation. You will know it's right when you get the correct values for w.

So, I am not even sure how to obtain the formula, i tried using the two points (5,130) and (70,0). I got this by placing the coordinate system's origin down the middle of the dam. Doing this I got the equation

$$f(x) = -12x +190$$
maybe insead of 12, the slope i 1.2?

which is obviously wrong. But I want to explain my method so I know if I'm at least on the right path

I defined A(x) as the area between y=130 and f[x], giving me the formula
/begin{equation*}$$\int_{0}^{5} 130 dx + \int_{5}^{70} f(x) dx =\frac{A(x)}{2}$$/end{equation*}
The 1/2 A(x) comes from the symmetry across the y-axis using my coordinate system.
Is that part right? FOr some reason, finding the equation of the line is proving to be very difficult even though I know how to find the formulas for lines. Geometric problems are challenging for me.

Last edited:
I have an idea. Would the slope, m, be equal to -130/70?

it seems correct.

Shinaolord said:
I have an idea. Would the slope, m, be equal to -130/70?

it seems correct.
If you are using the points, (5,130) and (70,0) , then the slope is not -130/70 , although that's pretty close.

Neither is it -12 nor -1.2 .

Slope is rise over run, right?

Likes 1 person
-130/65?

Wow, I feel stupid.

Shinaolord said:
-130/65?

Yup.

and -130/65 = -2 .

Likes 1 person
So, I can just use that equation as F of X in the integral equation I posted above? And if not where did I go wrong in that equation? Please don't explicitly tell me, but hints are great thank you very much for your assistance

Edit:
If this post in the above post look weird, it's because I'm using Siri on my iPhone to translate my words into text and it's not good with math

Shinaolord said:
So, I can just use that equation as F of X in the integral equation I posted above? And if not where did I go wrong in that equation? Please don't explicitly tell me, but hints are great thank you very much for your assistance

Edit:
If this post in the above post look weird, it's because I'm using Siri on my iPhone to translate my words into text and it's not good with math

What do you now get for f(x) ?

Likes 1 person
I get $$f(x) = -2x +140$$.

Shinaolord said:
I get $$f(x) = -2x +140$$.

Looks good.

Now set-up that integral.

Likes 1 person
Okay, so...

$$ \int_{0}^{5} 130 dζ + \int_{5}^{70} -2ζ+140 dζ = \frac{A(ζ)}{2} $$

Which come out to
$$ \int_{0}^{5} 130 dζ = 650 $$
$$ \int_{5}^{70} -2ζ+140 = 4,255 $$

$$ A(ζ) = 2( 650+4,255) = 9,750$$ m2

Now, we have a dam that is 1,500 meters long, and

$$V(ζ , x ) = A(ζ) *Δx$$ where $$Δx = 1,500$$ m

$$V(ζ , x ) = 9,750*1,500 = 14,625,000$$ m3

That is correct. Note that this problem could have been done without calculus. Using the midline of the trapezoid whose length is the average of the top and bottom widths you get (ave.width)(height)(depth) = (75)(130)(1500) =14,625,000

Yes I realize that and I used that to check my answer at the end, but were supposed to use slices to find it otherwise we do not get points so I had to do it this way thanks for the alternative method though!

Related to Volume of Grand Coulee Dam: Calc via Slices

1. How is the volume of Grand Coulee Dam calculated using slices?

The volume of Grand Coulee Dam is calculated using the formula for the volume of a solid of revolution, which involves integrating the cross-sectional area of the dam along the length of the dam. This is essentially breaking the dam into infinitely thin slices and summing up the volumes of each slice to get the total volume of the dam.

2. What is the cross-sectional area of the dam?

The cross-sectional area of the dam varies along the length of the dam. It can be calculated by measuring the width and height of each section of the dam and using the formula for the area of a triangle or rectangle, depending on the shape of the cross-section.

3. How accurate is the calculation of the volume of Grand Coulee Dam using slices?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the measurements taken for the cross-sectional areas and the assumptions made about the shape of the dam. However, it is a commonly used method for estimating the volume of curved structures and is generally considered to be a reliable method.

4. Can the volume of Grand Coulee Dam be calculated using other methods?

Yes, the volume of the dam can also be estimated using 3D modeling software or physical measurement techniques. However, using slices is a more accessible and straightforward method for approximating the volume of a complex structure like Grand Coulee Dam.

5. Why is it important to calculate the volume of Grand Coulee Dam?

Calculating the volume of Grand Coulee Dam is important for understanding the capacity of the dam and its impact on the surrounding area. It can also help with future maintenance and construction projects, as well as assessing the potential risks and benefits of the dam.