Volume and Related Rates: Solving Homework Problems with Triangle Base

In summary, the volume of a grain of wheat as it grows in a trough is a function of the depth of the grain.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jz5YbMhv91p6K.png

Homework Equations

Volume is the area of the base (or cross section) times height.

The Attempt at a Solution

The base is a triangle. The area of a triangle is (0.5)(base length)(height). In this case that's 0.5*20*15, or 10 times 15, or 150.

V = 150(h).

We differentiate volume with respect to time, since the problem gives us dV/dt and expects us to find dh/dt.

dV/dt = 150(dh/dt).

24 = 150(dh/dt)

The change in height with respect to time is 24/150 inches/second.

This is an unfamiliar problem and I am unsure if I proceeded correctly. Am I right? It seems as if the height variable disappeared; that h = 8 as stated in the problem is extraneous information and that the rate of height increase is constant. Intuitively, this feels correct. But is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jz5YbMhv91p6K.png

Homework Equations

Volume is the area of the base (or cross section) times height.

The Attempt at a Solution

The base is a triangle. The area of a triangle is (0.5)(base length)(height). In this case that's 0.5*20*15, or 10 times 15, or 150.

V = 150(h).

We differentiate volume with respect to time, since the problem gives us dV/dt and expects us to find dh/dt.

dV/dt = 150(dh/dt).

24 = 150(dh/dt)

The change in height with respect to time is 24/150 inches/second.

This is an unfamiliar problem and I am unsure if I proceeded correctly. Am I right? It seems as if the height variable disappeared; that h = 8 as stated in the problem is extraneous information and that the rate of height increase is constant. Intuitively, this feels correct. But is it?

No. Draw a picture of your trough with the grain at depth ##y## where ##y## is between ##0## and ##h=15##. Write a formula for the volume of the grain when its depth is ##y##. You should be able to get ##V## as a function of ##y## alone. Then differentiate that equation with respect to time to get started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Alright, I think I got it now. What I had in mind was something like a triangular prism standing up on its triangular base with the height as the length of the side.

This is my work. I used similar triangles to derive a formula relating b to h so I wouldn't be doing multivar. calculus.

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1452080_10200999313166755_1652918791_n.jpg?oh=69422d2b2355ac1a310473f4c2c1814e&oe=5279C052

Last edited:
Qube said:
Alright, I think I got it now. What I had in mind was something like a triangular prism standing up on its triangular base with the height as the length of the side.

That isn't what you want. A trough has its wide opening at the top and a point at the bottom. So the two vertical ends of the trough are the triangles standing on their point with the 20 inch side on top and parallel to the ground. Let's see your work.

[Edit] Apparently you added the picture after your original post. I will look at it. OK I looked and it looks good.

LCKurtz said:
That isn't what you want. A trough has its wide opening at the top and a point at the bottom. So the two vertical ends of the trough are the triangles standing on their point with the 20 inch side on top and parallel to the ground. Let's see your work.

[Edit] Apparently you added the picture after your original post. I will look at it.

Yeah ... I guess English is important to the interpretation of math! Thanks again. :)

Related to Volume and Related Rates: Solving Homework Problems with Triangle Base

1. What is volume and how is it related to related rates?

Volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object. Related rates refer to the change in one quantity with respect to the change in another quantity. In the context of volume, related rates refer to the change in volume with respect to the change in another variable, such as time.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object?

The formula for calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object depends on the shape of the object. For example, the volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. The volume of a cylinder is calculated by multiplying the area of the base by the height.

3. What is the difference between instantaneous and average rates?

Instantaneous rate refers to the rate of change at a specific moment in time, while average rate refers to the overall rate of change over a given period of time. In the context of volume and related rates, instantaneous rate refers to the rate of change of the volume at a specific time, while average rate refers to the average rate of change of the volume over a given time period.

4. How does changing one variable affect the volume of an object?

The effect of changing one variable on the volume of an object depends on the shape of the object and the relationship between the variable and the volume. For example, increasing the length of a rectangular prism will result in a proportional increase in volume, while changing the radius of a cylinder will result in a non-proportional change in volume.

5. What real-life applications are related to volume and related rates?

Volume and related rates are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the rate at which water is being pumped into a swimming pool, determining the amount of medication needed for a patient based on their weight, and analyzing the growth rate of a population. They are also important in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.