Volume of bounded by 2 surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a body bounded by two symmetric paraboloids using a double integral in polar coordinates. By finding the intersection of the two surfaces and shifting it down to z=0, the volume of one part can be calculated and multiplied by 2 to get the total volume. The use of polar coordinates is also mentioned as a helpful approach.
manenbu

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of the body bounded by the following surfaces:
z = x2 + y2
z = 1 - x2 - y2

Homework Equations

Volume of a body between z=o and the upper surface:
[tex]\iint_{D} z(x,y) dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this is something I need to do with a double integral, not a triple integral.
So those are 2 symmetric paraboloids, creating in between a body shaped like a lens.
Since I need to find the volume of a body from z=o to the surface, I thought about this.
The 2 surfaces are symmetrical, so if I take their intersection (which is a circle radius 2-1/2 at z=1/2) and shift it down to z=0, I can calculate the volume of the upper half of the solid and then multiply by 2.
I'll need it in polar coordinates of course, so:
[tex]x=r\cos{\theta}, y=r\sin{\theta}[/tex]
and the function after shifting it is:
z = 1/2 - x2 - y2 = 1/2 - r2(sin2θ + cos2θ) = 1/2 - r2
So the integral is:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} (\frac{1}{2} - r^2) r dr d\theta = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} (\frac{r}{2} - r^3) dr d\theta = [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4} \int_{0}^{2\pi} (r^2-r^4)_{0}^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} d\theta = \frac{1}{8} \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

And since it was the upper half, I need to multiply by 2 to get the entire volume, it being [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

Was I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Yes, your approach and solution are correct. By finding the intersection of the two surfaces and shifting it down to z=0, you have essentially divided the body into two symmetric parts and only need to calculate the volume of one part and multiply by 2. Your use of polar coordinates is also a good choice for this problem. Keep up the good work!

Related to Volume of bounded by 2 surfaces

What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a shape or object is the amount of space it occupies in three-dimensional space.

How do you calculate the volume of a bounded shape?

The volume of a bounded shape can be calculated by finding the area of the base and multiplying it by the height.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

Can the volume of a bounded shape be negative?

No, the volume of a bounded shape cannot be negative as it represents the amount of space within the shape and cannot be less than zero.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the volume of a bounded shape?

The volume of a bounded shape is used in various fields such as construction, architecture, engineering, and manufacturing to determine the amount of material needed for a project or to design structures that can hold a certain volume of fluid or gas.