Volume of a solid of revolution

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid formed by revolving the region bounded by the curves y=16-x^{2} and y=16-4x around the line x=8. This can be done using either the shell or washer method. When using the shell method, the volume can be calculated using the equation 2*pi*R*(y val on parabola - y val on slanted line)*dx, with R measured from the line x=8. When using the washer method, the volume can be calculated using the equation pi(R^2 - r^2)dy, with R and r measured from the vertical line and the respective curves. It is recommended to work with the original graphs rather than
jason177

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid that results when the region bounded by the curves y=16-x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and y=16-4x is revolved around x=8.

If you could show me how to do it with both the shell method and washer method it would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When trying the shell method i tried to shift the graph to the left 8 units and then revolving it about the y-axis and got:
y=16-(x+8)[tex]^{2}[/tex] and y = 16-4(x+8) which gave me

2[tex]\pi[/tex]*[tex]\int^{-4}_{-8}[/tex]x(16-(x+8)[tex]^{2}[/tex] - (16-4(x+8))) dx

and that gave me a negative answer so I know that can't be right

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest working with the graphs as they are. Your way could work, but seems prone to errors that might not otherwise occur, and doesn't really simplify things that I can see.

If you use washers you will need to solve each of your equations for x in terms of y. The volume of a typical volume element is
pi(R^2 - r^2)dy

For R, the larger radius, measure from the vertical line to the x value on the slanted line. For r, the smaller radius, measure from the vertical line to the x value on the parabola. For example, R = 8 - <x value on slanted line>. And similar for r, the smaller radius. Since R > r, then R^2 > r^2, so you'll get a positive value for V.

Using shells, the volume of the typical volume element is
2*pi*R*(y val on parabola - y val on slanted line)*dx. R is the radius of the shell, measured from the line x = 8. If you measure it the right way you should get a positive value for V.

Related to Volume of a solid of revolution

What does "Volume of a solid of revolution" mean?

The volume of a solid of revolution refers to the amount of space occupied by a 3-dimensional object that is formed by rotating a 2-dimensional shape around an axis.

How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the disk method or the shell method. For the disk method, the volume is calculated by taking the integral of the cross-sectional area of the shape and multiplying it by the height. For the shell method, the volume is calculated by taking the integral of the circumference of the shape and multiplying it by the height.

What types of shapes can be used to create a solid of revolution?

Any 2-dimensional shape can be used to create a solid of revolution, as long as it is rotated around an axis. Common shapes used include circles, rectangles, triangles, and more complex curves.

What real-life applications use the concept of volume of a solid of revolution?

The concept of volume of a solid of revolution is used in many engineering and design applications, such as calculating the volume of water in a cylindrical tank, determining the amount of material needed to create a curved structure, and designing objects with rotational symmetry.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when calculating the volume of a solid of revolution?

One limitation is that the shape must have a defined axis of rotation. Additionally, the calculations assume that the shape is continuous and has a uniform density throughout, which may not always be the case in real life. These limitations may lead to slightly inaccurate results.