Volume of a Pond (Triple Integral)

In summary: Thanks guys,In summary, the total volume of the pond is larger when the pond shape is a paraboloid rather than a hemisphere.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A circular pond with radius 1 metre and a maximum depth of 1 metre has the shape of a paraboloid, so that its depth z is z = x 2 + y 2 − 1. What is the total volume of the pond? How does this compare with the case where the pond has the same radius but has the shape of a hemisphere?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

\int _{-1}^0\left(\int _{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\left(\int _{x^2+y^2-1}^0\left(\right)dz\right)dy\right)dx

I was just wondering if this triple integral accurately describes what the question is asking? I searched online but can't find any anything similar.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:

Homework Statement

A circular pond with radius 1 metre and a maximum depth of 1 metre has the shape of a paraboloid, so that its depth z is z = x 2 + y 2 − 1. What is the total volume of the pond? How does this compare with the case where the pond has the same radius but has the shape of a hemisphere?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int _{-1}^0\left(\int _{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\left(\int _{x^2+y^2-1}^0\left(\right)dz\right)dy\right)dx$$

I was just wondering if this triple integral accurately describes what the question is asking? I searched online but can't find any anything similar.
Now (with the ##\$\$## around the ##\TeX##) it looks OK. You can see the bounds sitting there properly.

Likes Woolyabyss
Woolyabyss said:
Doesn't seem to work. If you want to integrate in Cartesian variables, you should identify the correct limits for each variable. I suggest that you work in cylindrical coordinate instead, because in this case there is only one variable whose integration limits are a function of the other two variables.

Likes Woolyabyss
blue_leaf77 said:
Doesn't seem to work. If you want to integrate in Cartesian variables, you should identify the correct limits for each variable. I suggest that you work in cylindrical coordinate instead, because in this case there is only one variable whose integration limits are a function of the other two variables.
So in cylindrical coordinates if we integrate in the order z,r,θ
would the limits be r-1 to 0,-r to r and 0 to 2*pi?

EDIT
or should it be r-1 to 0,0 to r and 0 to 2*pi?

Neither. z is not r-1 to 0 (that would be a cone)

(PS post #2 only said something about the look of things..., not the solubility)

Likes Woolyabyss
BvU said:
Neither. z is not r-1 to 0 (that would be a cone)

(PS post #2 only said something about the look of things..., not the solubility)
is it r^2 -1 to 0 ,0 to r and 0 to 2*pi?

For your purpose, it will be helpful to think of the pond as being made of a stack of infinitesimally thick disks put on top of another in z direction such that they form a paraboloidal volume. Now consider a disk located at a fixed plane ##z##. The thickness of this disk is ##dz##. For the area of this disk, how will you calculate it using the integral in polar coordinate ##r##, ##\theta##? To do this, first you need to express the radius of this disk as a function of ##z##.

Likes Woolyabyss
Thanks guys,
I realized in my original integral x should have been from -1 to 1 and not 0 to 1. also in polar coordinates if I use is it r^2 -1 to 0 ,0 to 1 and 0 to 2*pi, I get the same answer of (1/2)*pi

Related to Volume of a Pond (Triple Integral)

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a pond using triple integrals?

The formula for calculating the volume of a pond using triple integrals is V = ∭ f(x,y,z) dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function representing the shape of the pond and dV is the infinitesimal volume element.

2. How do you set up the bounds for a triple integral when calculating the volume of a pond?

The bounds for a triple integral when calculating the volume of a pond depend on the shape and dimensions of the pond. Generally, the bounds for x, y, and z will correspond to the width, length, and depth of the pond, respectively. These bounds can be determined by visualizing the pond and understanding the limits of the x, y, and z coordinates within that space.

3. Can the volume of a pond be calculated using a single integral?

No, the volume of a pond cannot be calculated using a single integral. A single integral only accounts for one variable, whereas the volume of a pond is determined by three variables (x, y, and z) and thus requires a triple integral.

4. How is the volume of a pond affected by changes in its depth?

The volume of a pond is directly affected by changes in its depth. As the depth of the pond increases, the volume also increases. This relationship can be visualized by imagining a cube of water and increasing its depth, which would result in an increase in volume.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the volume of a pond using triple integrals?

Yes, calculating the volume of a pond using triple integrals has many real-world applications, especially in fields such as hydrology and environmental science. Understanding the volume of a pond is crucial for managing water resources, predicting flood risk, and designing irrigation systems.