Visually representing entangled qubits (i.e., Bell state)

In summary, Elroy is discussing ways to visually represent entangled states and suggests the grid approach and circles with radius equal to the amplitude.
Elroy
Hi All,

I'm in the beginning stages of writing a quantum computer emulator, primarily to get all the concepts down.

I've got an excellent Bloch sphere with a Bloch vector that I can duplicate as many times as I like. However, I'm now tackling entangled states. I'm struggling with identifying the best way to visually represent these states.

I've been studying the Majorana sphere, and it seems to have definite possibilities, with its Majorana points and Closest Product Points (possibly making disks or cones from the center of the sphere).

I'm just wondering if others have different ideas about the best way to represent these entangled states. I'd like to start with the Bell states (EPR pairs of qubits), but would eventually like to generalize my visual representations to any entangled state with any number of qubits and any level of entanglement.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions/opinions.

Elroy

Isn't the various ways of visually representing state tomography pretty much the standard method for this (often represented by 3D bar charts)?

I don't know any good ways to represent entangled states, that aren't the algebraic form like "|00> + |11>" or just a big grid of amplitude representations.

Google's quantum computing playground uses the grid approach; they have a field of boxes where height is amplitude and color is phase.

In my own stuff, like this toy circuit simulator, I also just use the grid of amplitudes. In my case I use circles with radius equal to the amplitude and a line on them pointing along the phase. Also I "fill up" the cell based on the squared amplitude, since that total is preserved by the operations. For example, if you have four qubits where A1 is entangled with B1 such that they always disagree and A2 is entangled with B2 such that they always agree then I show that as:

msvTZDs.png

Basically, entanglement ends up looking like diagonals.

Naturally this becomes a visual mess as you add more qubits. You'd need a 1024-by-1024 grid to show the state of 20 qubits this way.

Related to Visually representing entangled qubits (i.e., Bell state)

1. What is a Bell state?

A Bell state is a specific type of quantum state that describes two qubits that are entangled, meaning their quantum states are correlated with each other even when physically separated. It is named after physicist John Bell, who first described this phenomenon in the 1960s.

2. How are entangled qubits visually represented?

Entangled qubits are often visually represented using a quantum circuit diagram. This diagram consists of horizontal lines that represent the qubits and boxes, or gates, that describe the operations performed on the qubits. In the case of entangled qubits, a special gate called a CNOT gate is used to create the entanglement between the qubits.

3. What does a Bell state look like in a quantum circuit diagram?

A Bell state is represented by a specific arrangement of qubits and gates in a quantum circuit diagram. It consists of two qubits, typically labeled as q0 and q1, with a CNOT gate connecting them. The first qubit (q0) is the control qubit and the second qubit (q1) is the target qubit.

4. How is a Bell state measured in a quantum system?

To measure a Bell state in a quantum system, the qubits must first be prepared in the entangled state. Then, each qubit is measured individually. The results of the measurements will always be correlated, meaning they will have the same outcome. This is a key characteristic of entangled qubits.

5. Why is representing entangled qubits important in quantum computing?

Entangled qubits are a crucial resource in quantum computing, as they allow for the creation of more complex quantum states and enable certain quantum algorithms to run more efficiently. Being able to visually represent entangled qubits helps scientists and researchers understand and manipulate these states in quantum systems, leading to advancements in the field of quantum computing.