Quick question about Bloch's sphere

• B
  • Thread starter Joao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the Bloch Sphere is a way to represent the state of a qubit, with the North pole representing state 0 and the South pole representing state 1. The qubit can also be in a superposition of both states, with the odds of being 0 or 1 determined by a complex number. The labeling on the Bloch Sphere is arbitrary, but for qubit notation, North is set to be |0> and South is set to be |1>. There are also other representations of the Bloch Sphere, such as using vertical and horizontal polarizing vectors. Despite the qubit only being able to resolve into 0 or 1, the Bloch Sphere can have values like -1. There are
Joao
Hi everyone! Sorry for the bad English!

Please, I'm trying to understand Dirac' s notation and the Bloch sphere, but I'm stuck here:

I've read that, thinking about the Bloch Sphere as a compass, the North pole would be 1 and the South pole would be 0. And in the classical bits the bit could be only in North or South pole. In qubits, there would be a vector with 1 unit length (or something like it), since it is in a superposition of states 0 or 1 until it's measured. And the odds of it turning into 0 or 1 is determined by a complex number, in the power of two (not sure how to say it in english). And the odds of being 0 added to the odds of being 1 must sum to "1".

Ok, but in many places I've seen the Bloch Sphere represented as something like this: North means 1, east also 1, South- 1 and West -1.

And I've seen a vector representing "vertical polarizing" going straight to North and "horizontal polarizing" going straight to east...
(If I remember correctly).

Anyway, since the qubit can only "resolves" into 0 or 1, how can it be that the Bloch Sphere can have values like -1?

Thanks a lot! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes Joao
Thanks a lot! These videos really helped! =) thanks again! =)

Related to Quick question about Bloch's sphere

1. What is Bloch's sphere?

Bloch's sphere is a geometric representation of the quantum state of a two-level quantum system, such as a spin-1/2 particle. It is named after Swiss physicist Felix Bloch who first introduced it in 1946.

2. How is Bloch's sphere used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Bloch's sphere is used to visualize and analyze the state of a two-level quantum system. It allows for a simple and intuitive understanding of concepts such as superposition and quantum gates.

3. What does the vertical axis represent on Bloch's sphere?

The vertical axis on Bloch's sphere represents the state of the quantum system, with the top representing the "up" state and the bottom representing the "down" state. The points on the equator represent superposition states.

4. How is Bloch's sphere related to quantum entanglement?

Bloch's sphere can be used to visualize the entanglement of two or more quantum systems. Entanglement is represented by the points on the sphere that cannot be described as a single state of any individual system, but rather as a combined state of the entangled systems.

5. Can Bloch's sphere be used for multi-level quantum systems?

No, Bloch's sphere is only applicable for two-level quantum systems. For higher-level systems, a different geometric representation, such as the Poincaré sphere, is used.