Visa Type for Neel Applying to US Grad School in Fall 2011

• Thread starter neelakash
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an Indian student applying for US grad schools in Fall 2011. They are not currently married, but plan to get married by next June. The speaker's future spouse is in medical school and will be doing their internship in the US. The speaker is unsure which visa type to select for their spouse's arrival, and is seeking advice. They are considering the F1 visa, but are not sure if it is the best option. The speaker is also advised to seek guidance from their chosen university's international student advisor and provided with a guide to student visas.
neelakash
Hi everyone, I applying (from India) to US grad schools in Fall 2011. Although I am not married now, I might get married by next June. My would be wife is in her medical school and is doing her internship here. We are planning so that she will go a year later (~2012) after completing 1st and 2nd steps of USMLE. When she arrives, she will be my dependent until she gets the residency. Can anyone suggest which VISA type I should select? The school application forms wants to know that and I am not sure if F1 VISA will be good for me...

-Neel

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid I really don't know. I bet someone at the US university you plan to attend would know - do they have an international student advisor?

Related to Visa Type for Neel Applying to US Grad School in Fall 2011

1. What is the visa type required for international students applying to US grad school in Fall 2011?

The visa type required for international students applying to US grad school in Fall 2011 is the F-1 student visa. This visa is specifically for academic studies and allows students to stay in the US for the duration of their program.

2. Is there a specific deadline for obtaining an F-1 visa for Fall 2011?

Yes, there is a specific deadline for obtaining an F-1 visa for Fall 2011. Generally, students should plan to apply for their visa no earlier than 120 days before their program start date and no later than 30 days before their program start date.

3. What documents are required to apply for an F-1 visa?

The required documents for an F-1 visa application include a valid passport, Form I-20 from the university, proof of financial support, and any additional documents requested by the US embassy or consulate. It is important to check the specific requirements for the embassy or consulate where you will be applying.

4. Can I apply for an F-1 visa while I am in the US?

No, you cannot apply for an F-1 visa while you are in the US. F-1 visas can only be obtained at a US embassy or consulate outside of the country.

5. Can I work during my studies with an F-1 visa?

Yes, F-1 visa holders are allowed to work on-campus part-time while enrolled in their program. They may also be eligible for off-campus work authorization after their first academic year, depending on their program and circumstances. However, it is important to consult with your designated school official (DSO) before beginning any work.