Virtual window for a windowless room

In summary: If you want to get REALLY fancy, you can buy a virtual reality setup. I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be really fun.In summary, there are a variety of ways to set up a virtual window in a windowless room. Some people use a camera and TV, others use a computer and monitors. The most expensive option is a virtual reality setup.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to set up a virtual window in a windowless room (or office or shop)? Google search came up with some kind of Apple or Wii set-up, has anyone tried it? Have comments on it? Does anyone have other suggestions?

[Mod: please feel free to move under Tech or other forum as appropriate.]

Physics news on Phys.org
I like that idea. I might take my high-def webcam and set something up. Maybe projector, I don't know yet. But also offers some privacy with a view. Interesting.

Well it depends what you want. If you just want a view out over a city (like a sky scraper style view) then a standard picture would do it.

But if you want something like looking through a shop window onto a busy street then you'd want a HD camera and a good quality monitor.

To get it to work, all you really need is an LCD TV and HD camera. Just plug the camera into the TV (assuming the setup is local).

A Wii is just going to complicate things. Don't know why your Apple specific.

Hm, a camera and a TV sounds like a good idea to explore. In effect that's a cc, I guess.

I once went to a conference in Holland where the windowless conference room had a complete "artificial wall". The whole wall had fake floor-to-ceiling "windows" showing a typical Dutch landscape scene. The "windows" were back-lit so they appeared brighter than the interior lighting in the room.

Apart from the fact that the cows in the artificial fields never moved, it was certainly better than looking at a bare wall for several hours a day.

Something like http://www.rationalcraft.com/Winscape.html" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd like to get fancy, you'll need a stereo HD TV, and you'll have to wear those funny glasses all the time.

Related to Virtual window for a windowless room

1. What is a virtual window for a windowless room?

A virtual window is a high-tech display that can simulate the appearance of a real window by projecting images or videos of outdoor scenes onto a wall or screen. It is a popular solution for rooms that do not have access to natural light or outdoor views.

2. How does a virtual window work?

A virtual window uses advanced technology such as LED screens, projectors, and computer software to display images or videos of outdoor scenes. The images are carefully curated to create a realistic and immersive experience, making it feel like you are looking out of a real window.

3. What are the benefits of having a virtual window in a windowless room?

Having a virtual window in a windowless room can provide a sense of connection to the outdoors and nature. It can also help improve mood and productivity by providing a change of scenery and natural light simulation. Additionally, it can make the room feel more spacious and add a decorative element to the space.

4. Are virtual windows expensive?

The cost of a virtual window can vary depending on the size, quality, and features of the display. However, they are generally more affordable than installing a physical window in a windowless room. It is important to do research and compare prices before making a purchase.

5. Can virtual windows be customized?

Yes, virtual windows can be customized to fit the specific needs and preferences of the user. This includes the type of outdoor scenes displayed, the size and shape of the display, and the level of brightness and color saturation. Some virtual windows also offer additional features such as sound effects and interactive elements.