Screen doors/windows disrupting air flow

In summary, the conversation revolved around the issue of fluctuating temperatures in a desert climate and the difficulty of cooling down a room, particularly in the upstairs of a house. Various suggestions were made, including leaving windows open, using fans, and installing an attic fan or swamp cooler. Some debated the effectiveness of screens on windows and the best way to vent trapped heat. One person jokingly suggested taking a sledgehammer to the walls for better air flow. The conversation ended with a suggestion to check the location and type of doors for proper ventilation.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Where I live, temperatures fluctuate like crazy (I technically live in a desert climate) . We can have 80F degree days and have it drop to 40F degrees that night. My house, for whatever reason, will have the upstairs heat up to the 80 degrees, yet when it gets cooler, it will take a long long time for the temperature to drop to even 76 when outside it has already dropped to something ridiculous like 65.

So I figure hey, open some windows! However, it seems to take a while for the temperature to actually start fall. I mean it definitely falls faster than with them closed but its still oddly slow. Now, the windows have screens on them. So the thing I wonder about is how much the screens are affecting the air flow into my room and other rooms where the windows are open. Does anyone know how much screens can cut down the airflow into a room?

I know I know, I COULD just take the damn things off, but they're a pain in the you know what to put back on. I don't know what kinda moron designed these things.

Physics news on Phys.org
GAH, What a nerd, I'm not going to read all that...

*quietly prints up multiple copies and buys a caliper to measure the geometry of his screen*

We have the same problem in our house. Have you considered installing an attic fan? The heat radiating from the ceiling may be overwhelming any cooling that you're getting from the windows.

It's not the screen - it's the size of the windows compared to the volume of the rooms.

Put a fan next to one of the windows and blow the heat out the window. It will increase the air flow into the house at the other windows.

Pengy,

As Borg and Bob stated you need to find a way to vent the trapped heat, blasting a hole in your roof would work, but the collateral damage would be high so, IMHO the next best thing are ceiliing fans or a powerful floor and or window fan. Once you suck the hot air down and push it out, the heavier colder air will eventually fill in. My Mom used to use a swamp cooler in Colorado before she passed away. Keeps the house, nice and dry and in the 70's, cheaper to run (but not to buy) than A/C too. Just an option. They normally mount on the roof.

Rhody... :redface:

My last house had a whole home attic fan. It worked like a charm.

sit on the porch.

Out of all the ideas you've all have come up with, I like the idea of taking a sledgehammer to two of the walls in my computer room the most. Thanks!

Pengwuino said:
Out of all the ideas you've all have come up with, I like the idea of taking a sledgehammer to two of the walls in my computer room the most. Thanks!

Just make sure it's not two walls that hold up the roof or the second floor!

I think the problem is with the doors, I feel it is not installed in proper location and cross ventilation might be missing.It is very essential to install right kind of doors in right location.You can take the help of experts or search in the internet for experienced people's advise.

Related to Screen doors/windows disrupting air flow

1. How do screen doors/windows disrupt air flow?

Screen doors and windows disrupt air flow by creating a barrier between the inside and outside of a space. This barrier can block air from flowing freely, causing turbulence and reducing the overall air flow in a room.

2. Can screen doors/windows affect the efficiency of air conditioning or heating systems?

Yes, screen doors and windows can affect the efficiency of air conditioning or heating systems. By creating a barrier to air flow, they can make it harder for the system to regulate the temperature of a space, resulting in higher energy usage and potentially higher costs.

3. Are there any benefits to using screen doors/windows?

Screen doors and windows can provide ventilation and allow natural light to enter a space. They can also help keep insects and other pests out while still allowing fresh air in.

4. How can I improve air flow in a room with screen doors/windows?

To improve air flow in a room with screen doors/windows, you can try opening additional windows or doors to create a cross-breeze. You can also remove the screens temporarily to allow for better air flow. Additionally, regularly cleaning and maintaining the screens can help reduce any blockages.

5. Are there any alternative options to screen doors/windows?

Yes, there are alternative options to screen doors/windows, such as magnetic screens or retractable screens. These options can provide similar benefits without disrupting air flow as much. Additionally, installing ceiling fans or using portable fans can also help improve air flow in a room.