Virtual boxes mirror reflection

In summary, when trying to find lightpaths with given starting and ending points via one or more mirrors, think of someone pointing a laser with a narrow beam from point A to point B and mirroring the base cell a few times to find a more accurate solution. The line connecting A to B' represents where the observer would see the image of point B.
PintoCorreia

Homework Statement

Finding lightpaths with given starting and ending points via one or more mirrors.

In those kind of problems you try image someone pointing a laser with a very narrow beam at a certain direction to the mirror, so it will reach point B.

For example:

You are seeing a square mirror room (with mirrorwalls a, b​​, c, d) where you point from point A via the mirrors c, b, d and a to point B. A sketch can be made easily made.

QkWF4e6.png
In order to find a more accurate solution, we flip the base cell with the points A and B
a few times as shown in the image.
After the mirroring is done, the line connecting A is drawn towards the mirror image B '.
Question: Construct the path in the original square.
Complete the drawing.

LkjW29I.png

Homework Equations

mirror images

The Attempt at a Solution

What do I need to do with those virtual squares? And why is the line drawn from A to B' through those other rooms?
LkjW29I.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The drawing looks quite complete to me...

And why is the line drawn from A to B' through those other rooms?
Mirrors do exactly what those virtual boxes represent: They show a "mirror world", like the box above your real box. That is not limited to a single mirror, you can fill the whole grid with those mirror images.
There are mirror arrangements where this is not helpful, but with a quadratic box it is nice.

I guess there suppose to be lines in other virtual boxes.

Then you can draw those lines. There is an infinite number of them, so I guess you have to restrict yourself to a few of them.

And why is the line drawn from A to B' through those other rooms

This is a way of working out where the image appears to be to an observer..

If you stood at point A in the original cell and looked in the direction of the laser beam you would see point B but it would appear to you as if it was at point B'.

Related to Virtual boxes mirror reflection

1. What is a virtual box mirror reflection?

A virtual box mirror reflection is a concept in computer graphics where a virtual box is created and its image is mirrored to create a reflection. It is commonly used in video games and virtual reality applications to create a realistic environment.

2. How does a virtual box mirror reflection work?

A virtual box mirror reflection works by using mathematical algorithms to create a virtual box and then reflecting its image across an imaginary plane. This creates the illusion of a mirrored image, similar to how a real-life mirror works.

3. What are the benefits of using a virtual box mirror reflection?

The benefits of using a virtual box mirror reflection include creating a more realistic and immersive environment in virtual reality applications and video games. It also saves time and resources compared to creating a physical mirror in a virtual environment.

4. Are there any limitations to using a virtual box mirror reflection?

One limitation of using a virtual box mirror reflection is that it can be computationally expensive, especially in complex and detailed environments. It may also require advanced programming skills to implement effectively.

5. Can a virtual box mirror reflection be used in other fields besides computer graphics?

Yes, a virtual box mirror reflection can be used in other fields such as architecture, where it can be used to visualize and simulate the reflections of buildings and structures. It can also be used in scientific simulations to model and analyze the behavior of light in different environments.