Derivation of the Optical Law of Reflection

In summary, dt/dx = 0 means that the light takes the same time to travel from point A to point B regardless of the distance between the points.
Fernando Rios
Homework Statement
Derive the optical law of reflection. Hint: Let light go from the point A (x1, y1) to B (x2, y,2) via an arbitrary point P = (x, 0) on a mirror along the x axis. Set dt/dx = (n/c) dD/dx = 0, where D = distance APB, and show that then theta = phi.
Relevant Equations
t = nD/c
Problem Statement: Derive the optical law of reflection. Hint: Let light go from the point A (x1, y1) to B (x2, y,2) via an arbitrary point P = (x, 0) on a mirror along the x axis. Set dt/dx = (n/c) dD/dx = 0, where D = distance APB, and show that then theta = phi.
Relevant Equations: t = nD/c

I already derived the optical law of refraction with the information given. However, I want to know why dt/dx = 0. How do I know it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fernando Rios said:
Problem Statement: Derive the optical law of reflection. Hint: Let light go from the point A (x1, y1) to B (x2, y,2) via an arbitrary point P = (x, 0) on a mirror along the x axis. Set dt/dx = (n/c) dD/dx = 0, where D = distance APB, and show that then theta = phi.

I already derived the optical law of refraction with the information given. However, I want to know why dt/dx = 0. How do I know it?
Suppose you have a function [itex] D [/itex] that represents the total distance that the light will travel from point [itex] A [/itex] to [itex] B [/itex]. You may assume that [itex] D [/itex] is a function of [itex] x [/itex]. You'll have to come up with such a function before the problem is finished, but it's not necessary to know it to answer your specific question above.

Now find a relation that shows time, [itex] t, [/itex] that the light takes to traverse that distance. Make this equation as a function of [itex] D [/itex].

Now minimize [itex] t [/itex] with respect to [itex] x [/itex].

If all is well and good, that should answer your question.

Thank you for your answer.

It is really helpful for me. Thank you for your answer.

Related to Derivation of the Optical Law of Reflection

1. What is the optical law of reflection?

The optical law of reflection states that when a ray of light hits a smooth surface, the angle of incidence (the angle between the incident ray and the normal to the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle between the reflected ray and the normal). In other words, the incident ray, the reflected ray, and the normal all lie in the same plane.

2. How was the optical law of reflection derived?

The optical law of reflection was first derived by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid around 300 BCE. He used basic geometry and the principle of least time to show that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

3. What is the significance of the optical law of reflection?

The optical law of reflection is a fundamental law of physics and optics, and it is used to explain the behavior of light when it interacts with smooth surfaces. It is also the basis for many optical devices, such as mirrors, which use reflection to form images.

4. Can the optical law of reflection be applied to all types of surfaces?

No, the optical law of reflection only applies to smooth, flat surfaces. When a ray of light hits a rough or irregular surface, the light scatters in all directions and the law of reflection does not hold.

5. How is the optical law of reflection used in real-world applications?

The optical law of reflection is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of mirrors, lenses, and other optical instruments. It is also used in everyday life, such as when we see our reflection in a mirror or when light bounces off a still body of water.