Victoria's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a separable first order ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses the general solution of an ODE involving constants k and b. The solution involves separating variables and using partial fraction decomposition and integration. The solution also involves a constant C, which can lead to multiple solutions including the trivial solution y = 0. The conversation also mentions the possibility of encountering traps or multiple solutions when dealing with this type of ODE.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

General solution of dy/dt=k((y)(b-y))?

B is a constant (in this case, initial temperature)
K is a constant of proportionality
I know you have to use separable variables, but i oeep
Getting stuck. Thanks for the help!

Here is a link to the question:

General solution of dy/dt=k((y)(b-y))? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Victoria,

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=ky(b-y)\) where $k$ and $b$ are constants.

First, let's separate the variables:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y(b-y)}\,dy=k\,dt\)

Using partial fraction decomposition on the left, and integrating, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{b}\int\left(\frac{1}{y}-\frac{1}{y-b} \right)\,dy=k\int\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle \ln\left|\frac{y}{y-b} \right|=bkt+C\)

Converting from logarithmic to exponential form, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{y-b}=Ce^{bkt}\)

Solving for $y$, we get:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{b}{1-Ce^{-bkt}}\) where \(\displaystyle 0<C\).

To Victoria and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post of differential equations problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f17/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Last edited:
For completeness sake it should be specified that it exists also the solution y=0 that can't be obtained fon any value of the constant C. In general that happens when an ODE has the form $\displaystyle \frac{d y}{d x} = f(y)$ where is $\displaystyle f(0)=0$ ... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Good catch, chisigma!

I failed to mention that during the process of separation of variables, we in fact did lose the trivial solution \(\displaystyle y \equiv 0\).

A good example of the 'traps' into which one can bump with this type of ODE is given in... http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f17/interesting-ordinary-differential-equation-3684/#post16751

... where some cases in which the initial condition $y(0)=0$ leads to multiple solutions are reported...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Victoria's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a separable first order ODE

1. What is a separable first order ODE?

A separable first order ODE is a type of ordinary differential equation where the independent variable and the dependent variable can be separated into two functions. This makes it easier to solve the equation using integration.

2. How do you solve a separable first order ODE?

To solve a separable first order ODE, you need to separate the variables and then integrate both sides of the equation. This will result in an equation with the independent variable on one side and the dependent variable on the other. You can then solve for the dependent variable using algebraic manipulation and the initial conditions.

3. What are the applications of separable first order ODEs?

Separable first order ODEs are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to model real-world phenomena. They can be used to describe growth and decay processes, population dynamics, and many other physical and biological processes.

4. What are the limitations of using separable first order ODEs?

One limitation of using separable first order ODEs is that not all differential equations can be separated. In some cases, higher order derivatives or more complex functions may be required. Also, separable first order ODEs may not always accurately represent the behavior of a system due to simplifications made during the separation process.

5. Are there any tips for solving separable first order ODEs?

Some tips for solving separable first order ODEs include carefully checking the initial conditions, using substitution to simplify the equation, and always double-checking your final solution by differentiating it with respect to the independent variable. It's also helpful to have a good understanding of integration techniques and algebraic manipulation.