Very simple exponential function quesiton

In summary: If you apply the chain rule to e^(2x) and not to e^(u) just because u is a "single letter," you won't get the same result.
phospho
The derivative of e^(2x):

let y = e^(2x), let u = 2x, so y = e^u

chain rule: du/dx * dy/du = 2*e^u = 2e^u = 2e^(2x)

this is the solution copied from my book, my question is why do they let u = 2x? is e^u the same as e^x? If so then wouldn't all derivatives of the exponential functions be in the form of f`(x)e^(f(x))??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the derivative of e^(f(x)) is f'(x) e^(f(x)), regardless of what f(x) is. Does that answer your question?

phyzguy said:
Yes, the derivative of e^(f(x)) is f'(x) e^(f(x)), regardless of what f(x) is. Does that answer your question?
Why in the solutions do they let u = 2x? Is differentiating e^u the same as differentiating e^x?

You have to keep in mind which variable you are differentiating with respect to.
\begin{align*}
\frac{d}{du} e^u &= e^u \\
\frac{d}{dx} e^u &= e^u\frac{du}{dx}
\end{align*}

phospho said:
Why in the solutions do they let u = 2x? Is differentiating e^u the same as differentiating e^x?

They are just using (d/dx) e^f(x) = f'(x) e^f(x) [an equation which YOU wrote!], with f(x) = 2x.

RGV

vela said:
You have to keep in mind which variable you are differentiating with respect to.
\begin{align*}
\frac{d}{du} e^u &= e^u \\
\frac{d}{dx} e^u &= e^u\frac{du}{dx}
\end{align*}

thanks for all the replies, how did you figure out the second line of your reply? (differentiating e^u with respect to x) as I don't think I've seen that before (I've only just started calc).

It's just the chain rule.

vela said:
It's just the chain rule.

My book says this about the chain rule:
BtiOv.png

How does what you said about differentiating e^u with respect to x apply to what my book said? Could you explain further as I'm confused.

Because u is a function of x.

So e^u's derivative, by the chain rule, is u'e^u.

Can you explain what's confusing you? I mean, we can keep telling you "It's the chain rule," but it's hard to see what's troubling you.

vela said:
Can you explain what's confusing you? I mean, we can keep telling you "It's the chain rule," but it's hard to see what's troubling you.

I just don't really understand the chain rule.

Perhaps it would help to write u as u(x). Then can you see that the chain rule gives:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{u(x)} =e^{u(x)}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

If u is not a function of x, then:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{u} =0[/tex]

Does this help?

phospho said:
I just don't really understand the chain rule.

In my opinion, written out, it looks much more complicated than it is.

Take the derivative of the outer function, still evaluated for the inner function, then multiply the whole thing by the derivative of the inner function.

One thing that is cool about the derivative rules is that they always work. For example, take a function that you know the derivative of, like 2x. You can apply the chain rule, product rule, etc. to that and you will get the correct result.

2(x).

Derivative of the outer function, evaluated for x, multiplied by the derivative of x, is just 2(1), or 2.

phyzguy said:
Perhaps it would help to write u as u(x). Then can you see that the chain rule gives:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{u(x)} =e^{u(x)}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

If u is not a function of x, then:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{u} =0[/tex]

Does this help?

Not really, I don't understand if u is not a function of x then that makes the derivative = 0,

1MileCrash said:
In my opinion, written out, it looks much more complicated than it is.

Take the derivative of the outer function, still evaluated for the inner function, then multiply the whole thing by the derivative of the inner function.

One thing that is cool about the derivative rules is that they always work. For example, take a function that you know the derivative of, like 2x. You can apply the chain rule, product rule, etc. to that and you will get the correct result.

2(x).

Derivative of the outer function, evaluated for x, multiplied by the derivative of x, is just 2(1), or 2.

Yes, but I don't really see how this applies when differentiating with respect to another variable as above

thank you for everyone who has bared with me, I'll probably sleep as I just don't understand it at all.

Yes, but I don't really see how this applies when differentiating with respect to another variable as above

thank you for everyone who has bared with me, I'll probably sleep as I just don't understand it at all.

Put it this way:

If I say u = 2x, then I ask you to find the derivatives of e^(2x) and e^(u), you had better get the same answer.

If you apply the chain rule to e^(2x) and not to e^(u) just because u is a "single letter," you won't get the same result.

Not really, I don't understand if u is not a function of x then that makes the derivative = 0,

What's the derivative of e^(6)?

Last edited:

Related to Very simple exponential function quesiton

What is a very simple exponential function?

A very simple exponential function is a mathematical equation in the form of y = ab^x, where a is a constant and b is the base of the exponent. It is a function that grows or decays at a constant rate.

What is the difference between an exponential function and a linear function?

An exponential function has a variable in the exponent, causing the function to grow or decay at an increasing or decreasing rate. A linear function, on the other hand, has a constant rate of change and produces a straight line on a graph.

How do you graph a simple exponential function?

To graph a simple exponential function, first choose values for x and plug them into the equation. Then, plot the resulting points on a coordinate plane. The shape of the graph will depend on the value of b. If b is greater than 1, the graph will be exponential growth, if b is between 0 and 1, the graph will be exponential decay.

What is the significance of the constant "a" in a simple exponential function?

The constant "a" in a simple exponential function is the initial value or starting point of the function. It is the value of y when x = 0. This constant can affect the shape and position of the graph, but it does not change the rate of growth or decay.

How can you solve for the exponent in a simple exponential function?

To solve for the exponent in a simple exponential function, you can use logarithms. Taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation will allow you to isolate the exponent and solve for it. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to find the value of the exponent.