Verifying Trig Identities help

In summary: Integral! and hypermorphism, sorry i just can't see how to get rid of the fractions... I'm sure its very easy and i will feel really dumb though...You have this equation, from hypermorphism's last post:\frac{\cos x - \cos y}{\sin x + \sin y} = \frac{\sin y - \sin x}{\cos x + \cos y}
InFiNiTeX
cos x - cos y sin x - sin y
sin x + sin y + cos x + cos y = 0

or to see better i guess...

(cos x - cos y)/(sin x + sin y) + (sin x - siny)/(cos x + cos y) = 0

can you guys help me? I'm really stuck on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
InFiNiTeX said:
cos x - cos y sin x - sin y
sin x + sin y + cos x + cos y = 0

or to see better i guess...

(cos x - cos y)/(sin x + sin y) + (sin x - siny)/(cos x + cos y) = 0

can you guys help me? I'm really stuck on this!
What have you tried and where are you stuck ?

Substitute [tex]\cos \theta = \displaystyle\frac{e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\sin \theta = \displaystyle\frac{e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}}{2i}[/tex] with the understanding that [itex]i^2=-1[/itex].

How about just combining the fractions?

robphy said:
Substitute [tex]\cos \theta = \displaystyle\frac{e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\sin \theta = \displaystyle\frac{e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}}{2i}[/tex] with the understanding that [itex]i^2=-1[/itex].
There's actually a simpler way to solve this without resorting to complex identities that the original poster may not know. :smile:

hypermorphism said:
There's actually a simpler way to solve this without resorting to complex identities that the original poster may not know. :smile:

While this may be true, this exponential method never fails, of course. :smile:

In fact it is nearly trivial, obvious to casual inspection.

OP , What have you tried?

well this is what i tried to do...

first i tried to combine them

(cos x - cos y) ( sin x - sin y)/ (sin x + sin y) (cos x + cos y)

then i got

(cos^2 x ) - (cos^2 y)/(sin x + sin y) (cos x + cos y) + (sin^2 x)(sin^2 y)/ (sin x + sin y) (cos x + cos y)

and after that part i kinda just confused myself but i just thought of this...

that part changes to

(1 - sin^2 x) - (1 - sin^2 y) / (sin x + sin y) (cos x + cos y) + (1 - cos^2 x) (1 - cos y) / (sin x + sin y) (cos x + cos y)

which i can turn into

(1 - sin x) - (1 - sin y) / cos x + cos y + (1 - cos x) (1 - cos y) / (sin x + sin y)

now those fractions cancel out right? cause (1 - sin x) and (1 - sin y) is the same as cos x and cos y as (1 - cos x) and (1 - cos y) are the same as (sin x) and (sin y) right? so if all that cancels out i get 0!

while in the shower it struck me that 1 - sin x = cos x , so i went from there..

i hope that is the right answer, if not could you please help me go in the right direction? thanks for your guys much appreciated help!

Last edited:
InFiNiTeX said:
while in the shower it struck me that 1 - sin x = cos x , so i went from there..
This isn't correct. The equation you may be attempting to reference is sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1.
Regarding your original equation, try putting the fractions on opposite sides of the equation:
[tex]\frac{\cos x - \cos y}{\sin x + \sin y} + \frac{\sin x - \sin y}{\cos x + \cos y} = 0[/tex]
is the same as
[tex]\frac{\cos x - \cos y}{\sin x + \sin y} = -\frac{\sin x - \sin y}{\cos x + \cos y}[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{\cos x - \cos y}{\sin x + \sin y} = \frac{\sin y - \sin x}{\cos x + \cos y}[/tex]
Do you see a way to get rid of the fractions from here ?

Yes, look at hypermorphism's last post for ideas. You seem to have made several errors in simplification.

I have bolded your error
(cos^2 x ) - (cos^2 y)/(sin x + sin y) (cos x + cos y) + (sin^2 x)( sin^2 y)/ (sin x + sin y) (cos x + cos y)

go back and double check where this came from, it is not correct. Everything else is ok

ok thanks for your help Integral! and hypermorphism, sorry i just can't see how to get rid of the fractions... I'm sure its very easy and i will feel really dumb though...

Last edited:
You have this equation, from hypermorphism's last post:

[tex]\frac{\cos x - \cos y}{\sin x + \sin y} = \frac{\sin y - \sin x}{\cos x + \cos y}[/tex]

Do you remember cross multiplication?

Last edited:
OHH! see i told you it would probably be very easy... thanks for your help!

Related to Verifying Trig Identities help

What are some tips for verifying trig identities?

1. Use basic trig identities to simplify the expression: This can help you see patterns and make it easier to verify the identity.

2. Work on one side of the equation at a time: Start with the more complex side and simplify it until it matches the other side.

3. Keep track of your steps: Write down each step you take and make sure they are reversible so you can go back and check your work.

4. Use the Pythagorean identities: These identities involve squares of trig functions and can be helpful in simplifying expressions.

5. Use trig identities in reverse: If you are stuck, try working backwards from the identity you are trying to prove and see if you can get to the original expression.