Questions about these Trigonometry Graphs involving sin() and cos()

pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
a sin(x) - b cos(y) = y
a sin(x) + b cos(y) = 1
Hi.
I have two trigonometric equations whose graphs I am trying to understand.
Here are the equations:
1. a sin(x) - b cos(y) = y; a = 2, b = 2

Web capture_20-8-2023_152359_www.desmos.com.jpeg

2. a sin(x) + b cos(y) = 1; a = 1, b = 1

Web capture_20-8-2023_15261_www.desmos.com.jpeg

My question is why the graphs are the way they are.
What should I do to understand them?
Can anyone explain these graphs?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you consider level sets ##\{(x,y)\mid f(x,y)=const\}## it is important to find critical points of the function ##f## and understand which kind these critical points are.
So first find the points such that ##df=0##.
It is like drawing a phase portrait of a Hamiltonian system with the Hamiltonian f.

Last edited:
Thanks. So, I need to do Analysis first?

pairofstrings said:
Thanks. So, I need to do Analysis first?
The second graph looks off to me. You have
$$\cos y = 1 - \sin x$$If ##\sin x <0##, then there are no solutions for ##y##. You have solutions for ##0 \le x \le \pi##, with symmetry about ##x = \frac \pi 2##. Whatever solutions you have in this range are repeated every ##2\pi## units along the x-axis.

It would be better have units of ##\pi## along both axes.

Does that get you started?

1. What is the difference between a sine graph and a cosine graph?

The main difference between a sine graph and a cosine graph is the starting point. A sine graph starts at the origin (0,0) and moves upwards, while a cosine graph starts at the maximum point (1,0) and moves downwards. Additionally, the shape of the curves are slightly different, with the sine graph being more curved and the cosine graph being more straight.

2. How do I determine the period of a trigonometry graph?

The period of a trigonometry graph is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the graph. To determine the period, you can divide the full circle (360 degrees or 2π radians) by the coefficient of the variable inside the trigonometric function. For example, if the function is sin(2x), the period would be 360/2 = 180 degrees or 2π/2 = π radians.

3. What is the amplitude of a sine or cosine graph?

The amplitude of a trigonometry graph is the distance from the midline of the graph to the peak or trough. It is equal to half the distance between the maximum and minimum values of the function. For example, if the function is sin(x), the amplitude would be 1, while if the function is 2cos(x), the amplitude would be 2.

4. How can I determine the vertical shift of a trigonometry graph?

The vertical shift of a trigonometry graph is the amount by which the graph is shifted up or down from the midline. It can be determined by looking at the constant term (C) in the function. If the function is sin(x) + 3, the vertical shift would be 3 units upwards, while if the function is cos(x) - 2, the vertical shift would be 2 units downwards.

5. Can the period and amplitude of a trigonometry graph be negative?

No, the period and amplitude of a trigonometry graph cannot be negative. The period is always a positive value, as it represents the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs. The amplitude is also always positive, as it represents the distance from the midline to the peak or trough. However, the vertical shift can be negative, as it represents the amount by which the graph is shifted up or down from the midline.