Verify the divergence theorem for a cylinder

In summary: The integral over the top and bottom are\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 (1-r^2) r dr dt= (1/2)2\pi= \pi The surface integral over the sides is\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2 (1-r^2) r dz dt= (4/3)2\pi= (8/3)\pi Finally, the integral over the bottom is\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 (1-r^2) r dr dt= (1/2)2\pi= \pi Adding the three together gives 4\
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Verify the divergence theorem if [itex]\textbf{F} = <1-x^{2}, -y^{2}, z >[/itex] for a solid cylinder of radius 1 that lies between the planes z=0 and z=2.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the triple integral part no problem. Where I run into issues is the surface integral part.

Parametrizing a cylinder is done by <rcost,rsint,z>, correct?

So looking at the top part I want it oriented in the positive k direction to get flow OUT of the cylinder - hence S: <cost,sint,2> because it lies in the plane z=2.
Similarly for the bottom S: <cost,-sint,0>

Now for the side, the side never has any k components so S: <cost,sint,0>

Now let's look at the top again. If I take the derivatives with repect to Z and try to cross them I end up with 0 net flow in every direction, it does not agree with the triple integral and isn't correct.
I have a feeling that I'm not parametrizing my cylinder correct, I remember it being a special case.

Another thing that I tried was parametrizing the top as <cost,sint,z>
Then the dS vector becomes
<cost,sint,0>
Now it's showing no component in the z direction - clearly it should have a component in the z direction?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

Verify the divergence theorem if [itex]\textbf{F} = <1-x^{2}, -y^{2}, z >[/itex] for a solid cylinder of radius 1 that lies between the planes z=0 and z=2.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem

I can do the triple integral part no problem. Where I run into issues is the surface integral part.

So looking at the top part I want it oriented in the positive k direction to get flow OUT of the cylinder - hence S: <cost,sint,2> because it lies in the plane z=2.

Now let's look at the top again. If I take the derivatives with repect to Z and try to cross them I end up with 0 net flow in every direction, it does not agree with the triple integral and isn't correct.
I have a feeling that I'm not parametrizing my cylinder correct, I remember it being a special case.

<cost,sint,0>
Now it's showing no component in the z direction - clearly it should have a component in the z direction?!

Clearly dS along the top should be in the +z direction. It should be <0,0,1>dA. How are you getting that it isn't? The coordinates along the top are <rcos(t), rsin(t), 2> take the r derivative and the t derivative and cross them.

Likes 1 person
Ahh I see I thought it was
<1cost,1sint,z> I didn't realize that you allowed R to vary as it is fixed in the problem.

Feodalherren said:
Ahh I see I thought it was
<1cost,1sint,z> I didn't realize that you allowed R to vary as it is fixed in the problem.

The outer radius of the cylinder is fixed at 1. The coordinate r isn't fixed along the top surface. It ranges from 0 to 1. Only z is fixed. Along the sides r is fixed and z isn't.

Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem

No, S can have any value of z between 0 and 2: S: <cos(t), sin(t), z>. A two dimensional surface always requires two parameters! The NORMAL VECTOR has no k component:
writing [itex]\vec{r}= cos(t)\vec{i}+ sin(t)\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex], we have [itex]\vec{r}_t= -sin(t)\vec{i}+ sin(t)\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_z= \vec{k}[/itex] and their cross product is [itex]cos(t)\vec{i}+ sin(t)\vec{j}[/itex]

<cost,sint,0>
The top is NOT "<cos(t), sin(t), z>". That has r fixed at 1 and both t and z varying so is the cylindrical side. The top has both r and t varying and z fixed at 2: <r cos(t), r sin(t), 2> (the bottom is <r cos(t), r(sin t), 0>).
The derivative with respect to r, for the top, is <cos(t), sin(t), 0> and the derivative with respect to t <-r sin(t), cos(t), 0>. Their cross product gives [itex]\vec{n}dS= r \vec{k} drdt[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]\vec{n}dS[/itex] is [itex]-r\vec{k}drdt[/itex] for the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Verify the divergence theorem for a cylinder

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the volume enclosed by the surface.

2. How is the divergence theorem used in the context of a cylinder?

The divergence theorem can be used to evaluate the flux of a vector field through a cylinder by considering the cylinder as a closed surface and the vector field as the divergence of a function within the volume enclosed by the cylinder.

3. What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a curved surface that connects the two bases. It can be thought of as a stack of circles or a tube-like structure.

4. How is the divergence theorem verified for a cylinder?

The divergence theorem can be verified for a cylinder by first calculating the flux of the vector field through the curved surface of the cylinder using the surface integral. Next, the volume enclosed by the cylinder can be divided into infinitely small cubes, and the divergence of the vector field can be calculated at each cube's center. Finally, the sum of all the divergences multiplied by the volume of each cube should equal the flux through the curved surface, thus verifying the divergence theorem.

5. Why is verifying the divergence theorem important?

Verifying the divergence theorem is important because it is a fundamental concept in vector calculus and has many practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics. It also helps to provide a deeper understanding of the relationship between the surface and volume integrals and how they can be used to solve problems in these fields.