How Do You Calculate Velocity and Acceleration from a Position Vector?

In summary, the position vector of an object of mass 0.10 kg at time t in seconds is given by r=(t^3+5t)i−4tj+2t^2k. To find the velocity, the equation is differentiated, giving 3t^2i+5i-4j+4tk. To find the magnitude, the sum of the squares of each vector quantity must be taken, and the relation between velocity and acceleration is that acceleration is the derivative of velocity.
Seven of Nine

Homework Statement

The position vector of an object of mass 0.10 kg at time t in seconds is given by
=(^3+5)−4+2^2
Find the velocity and the acceleration as a function of t

Homework Equations

=(^3+5)−4+2^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For velocity I think the equation needs to be differentiated giving; 3t^2i+5i-4j+4tk

To find the magnitude I have to find the square root of the squares of the value of each vector quantity - but no idea what to do about the square or how to find the acceleration.

Dont need the answers just the information needed to find the values and where I'm going wrong and what I can't remember

Physics news on Phys.org
Seven of Nine said:
=(^3+5)−4+2^2
It looks like something went wrong with the notation here.
Seven of Nine said:
For velocity I think the equation needs to be differentiated
Right.
Seven of Nine said:
To find the magnitude I have to find the square root of the squares of the value of each vector quantity
Of the sum of squares, yes.
Seven of Nine said:
but no idea what to do about the square
What is unclear?
Seven of Nine said:
or how to find the acceleration.
What is the relation between velocity and acceleration?

mfb said:
It looks like something went wrong with the notation here.Right.Of the sum of squares, yes.What is unclear?What is the relation between velocity and acceleration?
Yes sorry the equation is
r=(t^3+5t)i−4tj+2t^2k

and do I have to do anything with the t^2 value and what do I do about the 3t^2i +5i how do I find the sum of the square of of i? And yes after I asked about the acceleration I realized I was being a bit thick. Thank you

Seven of Nine said:
how do I find the sum of the square of of i
The magnitude of a vector is given by ##|\vec v|=\sqrt{\vec v.\vec v}##, where the dot represents the dot product. Do you know how to find the dot product of ##x\hat i+y\hat k## with itself?

Related to How Do You Calculate Velocity and Acceleration from a Position Vector?

1. What is velocity from position vector?

Velocity from position vector is a concept in physics that describes the change in position over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object is moving in a particular direction.

2. How is velocity from position vector calculated?

Velocity from position vector is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This can be represented as v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures magnitude.

4. How does velocity from position vector relate to acceleration?

Velocity from position vector and acceleration are closely related. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. This means that if there is a change in velocity, there must also be an acceleration, which can be calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt.

5. What are some real-life applications of velocity from position vector?

Velocity from position vector is used in many real-life applications, including sports, transportation, and space travel. It is essential for understanding the movement of objects and is used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.