Finding the y-component of a velocity vector

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equations for the paths of a player and a ball, and then finding the derivative of these equations to determine their velocities. The goal was to find the time when the paths of the player and ball cross, but the solution was incorrect due to using the wrong value for D. The correct value of D is 2 m, not 20 m.
valentina
Homework Statement
Two players are playing football.
Player A is running in a straight line. Player B is going to pass the ball to player A with v_b constant when they're at a distance D=2m.
At that instant, player A has a velocity v_a=3m/s and he's accelerating at 12 m/s^2.
We know that the y-component of the velocity of the ball is 5 m/s.
Find the x-component of the velocity such that player A catches the ball.
Relevant Equations
$$x(t)=x_0+v_{x_{0}}t+\frac{1}{2}at^2$$
The first thing I did, was to find the equations for player A (p) and ball's (b) path (for each i and j component I used the equation I wrote in the relevant equations) and then I found the derivative of both equations so I could have the velocity:

$$\vec{r}_p(t)=(6t^2+3t)\hat{i}+20\hat{j} \Rightarrow \vec{v}_p(t)=(12t+3)\hat{i}$$
$$\vec{r}_b(t)=(v_{0_{x}}t)\hat{i}+5t\hat{j} \Rightarrow \vec{v}_b(t)=(v_{0_{x}})\hat{i} + 5 \hat{j}$$

Now, I tried to find the time when both paths cross:

$$(6t^2+3t)\hat{i}+20\hat{j} = (v_{0_{x}}t)\hat{i}+5t\hat{j} \iff 6t^2+3t=v_{0_x}t \land 20=5t \iff t=4s \Rightarrow v_{0_x}=27 \frac{m}{s}$$

Looking at the solution, what I did is wrong. Can someone guide me please ?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 114
Physics news on Phys.org
D is given as 2 m. But it looks like you took D to be 20 m.

Likes valentina
TSny said:
D is given as 2 m. But it looks like you took

Oh! I can't believe this lol. Thank you so much!

Likes TSny

1. What is the y-component of a velocity vector?

The y-component of a velocity vector is the vertical component of the velocity, representing the rate of change of an object's position in the y-direction.

2. How do you find the y-component of a velocity vector?

To find the y-component of a velocity vector, you can use the formula vy = v * sin(θ), where v is the magnitude of the velocity and θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the y-axis.

3. What is the difference between the y-component and the x-component of a velocity vector?

The y-component and x-component of a velocity vector represent the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity, respectively. They are perpendicular to each other and together make up the overall velocity of an object.

4. Can the y-component of a velocity vector be negative?

Yes, the y-component of a velocity vector can be negative if the velocity vector is pointing downwards or in the negative y-direction.

5. How is the y-component of a velocity vector used in physics?

The y-component of a velocity vector is used in physics to calculate the motion of an object in the vertical direction. It is also used in equations related to acceleration, force, and energy in the y-direction.