Exercise: position vector of a particle

In summary: I think you have included v0 ⋅ t twice in the expression for s(t). You'll need to evaluate s(t) for t = 4 sec.s0 can be written in terms of a position vector with i and j components.All of the integrations can be performed separately to obtain the i and j components of the velocity and the position of the particle as a function of time.v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt + v0s(t) = ∫ v(t) dt + v0 ⋅ (t) + s0where v0 and s0 represent the initial velocity and position, respectively.
Kernul

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle moving only on a horizontal xy plane is given by a = 3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second squared and t is in seconds. At t = 0, the position vector r = (20.0 m)i + (40.0 m)j locates the particle, which then has the velocity vector v = (5.00m/s)i + (2.00m/s)j. At t = 4.00s, what are
(a) its position vector in unit-vector notation and
(b) the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis?

Homework Equations

x = x0 + vox * t + 1/2 * ax * t2
y = y0 + voy * t + 1/2 * ay * t2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since ax = 3t and ay = 4t, I got the following values for the position vector:
(136m)i + (176m)j

The problem is that the values aren't the solution given by the book (which is (72m)i + (90.7m)j ).
I keep reading but nothing comes to my mind besides the fact that probably I did something wrong with the acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kernul said:

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle moving only on a horizontal xy plane is given by a = 3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second squared and t is in seconds. At t = 0, the position vector r = (20.0 m)i + (40.0 m)j locates the particle, which then has the velocity vector v = (5.00m/s)i + (2.00m/s)j. At t = 4.00s, what are
(a) its position vector in unit-vector notation and
(b) the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis?

Homework Equations

x = x0 + vox * t + 1/2 * ax * t2
y = y0 + voy * t + 1/2 * ay * t2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since ax = 3t and ay = 4t, I got the following values for the position vector:
(136m)i + (176m)j

The problem is that the values aren't the solution given by the book (which is (72m)i + (90.7m)j ).
I keep reading but nothing comes to my mind besides the fact that probably I did something wrong with the acceleration.
The equations you cited in Section 2 are valid only for constant acceleration. Your acceleration is changing with time.

The book doesn't give any example with a non-constant acceleration. I don't know how to proceed in this case.
Could you guide me to the solution?

Kernul said:
The book doesn't give any example with a non-constant acceleration. I don't know how to proceed in this case.
Could you guide me to the solution?
Are you sure?

Have you seen these expressions:

v = ds / dt

a = dv /dt

Yes, I know them.
The last one is an instantaneous acceleration, right?

Kernul said:
Yes, I know them.
The last one is an instantaneous acceleration, right?
Yes, it is.

When acceleration is changing with time, you must integrate acceleration w.r.t. time to find the instantaneous velocity, and then integrate velocity w.r.t. time to find position.

v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt + v0

s(t) = ∫ v(t) dt + v0 ⋅ (t) + s0

where v0 and s0 represent the initial velocity and position, respectively.

If from the second equation I simply write
s(t) = ∫ v(t) dt + s0 I have the solution.
Is it okay? Because if I do the second equation as you wrote it, it has a +20 on the first component and a +8 on the second component. I guess it was a typo from you.

Kernul said:
If from the second equation I simply write
s(t) = ∫ v(t) dt + s0 I have the solution.
Is it okay? Because if I do the second equation as you wrote it, it has a +20 on the first component and a +8 on the second component. I guess it was a typo from you.
s0 can be written in terms of a position vector with i and j components.

All of the integrations can be performed separately to obtain the i and j components of the velocity and the position of the particle as a function of time.

Yeah, I know. The last equation you wrote would have these numbers:

s(t) = (3 * t3) / 6 i + (4 * t3) / 6 j + 5 * t i + 2 * t j + 5 * t i + 2 * t j + 20 i + 40 j

Am I right?

Kernul said:
Yeah, I know. The last equation you wrote would have these numbers:

s(t) = (3 * t3) / 6 i + (4 * t3) / 6 j + 5 * t i + 2 * t j + 5 * t i + 2 * t j + 20 i + 40 j

Am I right?
I think you have included v0 ⋅ t twice in the expression for s(t). You'll need to evaluate s(t) for t = 4 sec.

That's exactly what I wanted to make you notice. In your equations I have two of them:
SteamKing said:
v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt + v0

s(t) = ∫ v(t) dt + v0 ⋅ (t) + s0
With:
v(t) = (3 * t2) / 2 i + (4 * t2) / 2 j + 5 i + 2 j
and
s(t) = (3 * t3) / 6 i + (4 * t3) / 6 j + 5 * t i + 2 * t j + (5 i + 2 j) * t + 20 i + 40 j

Kernul said:
That's exactly what I wanted to make you notice. In your equations I have two of them:

With:
v(t) = (3 * t2) / 2 i + (4 * t2) / 2 j + 5 i + 2 j
and
s(t) = (3 * t3) / 6 i + (4 * t3) / 6 j + 5 * t i + 2 * t j + (5 i + 2 j) * t + 20 i + 40 j

v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt + v0

∫ v(t) dt = s(t)

∫ v(t) dt = ∫ [∫ a(t) dt + v0] dt = ∫∫ a(t) dt dt + ∫ v0 dt = s(t) + v0 ⋅ t + s0

Since:
v0 = 5 i + 2 j

If you multiply v0 by t, then you have 5 ⋅ t i + 2 ⋅ t i

You are doing only one integration where v0 is present, not two.

Wait, I'm getting confused.
First we do this integral:
v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt + v0 = (3 * t2) / 2 i + (4 * t2) / 2 j + 5 i + 2 j
after this, we do this other integral:
s(t) = ∫ v(t) dt + v0 ⋅ (t) + s0 = ∫ (3 * t2) / 2 i + (4 * t2) / 2 j + 5 i + 2 j dt + v0 ⋅ (t) + s0
Am I right? Because this is what comes out from your equations.

Kernul said:
Wait, I'm getting confused.
First we do this integral:
v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt + v0 = (3 * t2) / 2 i + (4 * t2) / 2 j + 5 i + 2 j
after this, we do this other integral:
s(t) = ∫ v(t) dt + v0 ⋅ (t) + s0 = ∫ (3 * t2) / 2 i + (4 * t2) / 2 j + 5 i + 2 j dt + v0 ⋅ (t) + s0
Am I right? Because this is what comes out from your equations.
No, it's not.

v0 is a constant vector, namely v0 = 5i + 2j. It does not depend on t.

When integrating a(t), v0 is added after the integration is done, which is why v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt + v0

When integrating v(t), then another constant of integration, which is called s0, is added after the integration of v(t) is done.
But because v(t) includes v0, when v(t) is integrated, the v0 term must be integrated at well. Since v0 is a constant, its integral is just v0 ⋅ t.

s(t) = ∫ (v(t) + v0) dt = ∫ v(t) dt + ∫ v0 dt = ∫ v(t) dt + v0 ⋅ t

I think your confusion stems from the fact that the v(t) inside the integral sign involves only the part of v(t) which varies with time.

I think these equations will be more clear:

v(t) = ∫ a(t) dt = v1(t) + v0

s(t) = ∫ v (t) dt = ∫ (v1(t) + v0) dt = ∫ v1(t) dt + ∫ v0 dt = ∫ v1(t) dt + v0 ⋅ t + s0

Oooh! So the second equation was simply "s(t) = ∫ v (t) dt".
Okay, I got it now.
Thank you!

Related to Exercise: position vector of a particle

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a particle in space. It includes both the magnitude (distance) and direction of the displacement from a reference point.

2. How is the position vector of a particle calculated?

The position vector of a particle is calculated by finding the displacement from the reference point to the particle's location. This can be done using the distance formula or by subtracting the coordinates of the reference point from the coordinates of the particle.

3. Why is the position vector important in exercise science?

The position vector is important in exercise science because it allows us to track the movement and position of a particle (such as a body part) during physical activity. This can help us understand the mechanics of movement and assess the effectiveness of different exercises.

4. Can the position vector change during exercise?

Yes, the position vector can change during exercise as the particle (e.g. body part) moves through space. It may also change due to external factors such as gravity, friction, or resistance.

5. How does the position vector relate to other vectors in exercise science?

The position vector is a type of displacement vector, which is a type of motion vector. In exercise science, we may also use other types of vectors such as force vectors and velocity vectors to analyze and understand physical activity.