Vectors in Planes: Solving for m & n, Finding Orthogonal Plane

In summary: However, we don't actually need to solve for A, B, and C; we can just use those values to find the equation of the plane:Ax+ By+ Cz= 1Since the plane is perpendicular to mx- 7my+ 5z+ 3= 0, the equation of the plane is simply:C(1,2,0)=-1c) To find the area of the parallelogram which has two vertices on l2 and to other vertices are K, and another point E(1,2,-2) which is on l1, we can use the Pythagorean theorem:A^2+B^2+C^
Lancelot1
Hiya,

I have a question in high school math, vectors to be precise:

The point K(3.5,-0.5,-2) is the intersection point of the plane S1: mx-7my+5z+3=0 with the line l1: (n,1,-2)+t(-1,1,0)

a) find the parameters n and m
b) find the equation of the plane that contains the line l1 and is orthogonal to the plane S1.
c) Another line is given, l2: (2,0,-1)+t(3,-3,0). Find the area of the parallelogram which has two vertices on l2 and to other vertices are K, and another point E(1,2,-2) which is on l1.

I managed to solve (a) and found that m=1, n=2 and t=-1.5.

I need your assistance with the other part of the question.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lancelot said:
Hiya,

I have a question in high school math, vectors to be precise:

The point K(3.5,-0.5,-2) is the intersection point of the plane S1: mx-7my+5z+3=0 with the line l1: (n,1,-2)+t(-1,1,0)

a) find the parameters n and m
b) find the equation of the plane that contains the line l1 and is orthogonal to the plane S1.
c) Another line is given, l2: (2,0,-1)+t(3,-3,0). Find the area of the parallelogram which has two vertices on l2 and to other vertices are K, and another point E(1,2,-2) which is on l1.

I managed to solve (a) and found that m=1, n=2 and t=-1.5.

I need your assistance with the other part of the question.

Thank you.

a) To find the parameters $n$ and $m$, we can plug in the coordinates of the given point to the plane and the line:

\(\displaystyle m(3.5)-7m(-0.5)+5(-2)+3=0\)

Solving for $m$, we find:

\(\displaystyle m=1\quad\checkmark\)

\(\displaystyle n-t=3.5\)

\(\displaystyle t+1=-0.5\)

Adding, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle n+1=3\implies n=2\quad\checkmark\)

b) To find a plane, all we need is a point in the plane, and a vector perpendicular to the plane. Can you find those?

For (b) let the unknown plane be Ax+ By+ Cz= D. Since it is perpendicular to mx- 7my+ 5z+ 3= 0, its normal vector must be perpendicular to the normal vector of that plane: mA- 7mB+ 5C= 0. The fact that line (n,1,-2)+t(-1,1,0) lies in the plane means that A(n- t)+ B(1+ t)- 2C= D for all t. We already know that m= 1 and n= 2 so those equations become A- 14B+ 5C= 0 and A(2- t)+ B(1+ t)- 2C= 2A- At+ B+ Bt- 2C= (B- A)t+ 2A+ B- 2C= D for all t. Since that last equation is true for all t, corresponding coefficients must be equal: B- A= 0, 2A+ B- 2C= D.

We have the three equations A- 14B+ 5C= 0, B- A= 0, and 2A+ B- 2C= D. Normally, three equations would not be enough to solve for four unknowns, but we could always add or multiply Ax+ By+ Cz= D by a non-zero number to get another equation for the same plane. In particular, we can assume, say, that D= 1 so we have A- 14B+ 5C= 0, B- A= 0, and 2A+ B- 2C= 1, three equations to solve for A, B, and C.

1. What are vectors in planes?

Vectors in planes refer to the representation of two or more vectors in a two or three-dimensional plane. These vectors can be used to describe the direction and magnitude of an object's motion, or the orientation of a physical object.

2. How do you solve for m and n in vectors in planes?

To solve for m and n in vectors in planes, you can use the cross product of two vectors. This will give you a system of equations that can be solved using algebraic methods.

3. What does it mean to find an orthogonal plane?

Finding an orthogonal plane means finding a plane that is perpendicular, or at a 90-degree angle, to another plane. This is useful in physics and engineering when calculating forces or motion in multiple dimensions.

4. How do you find an orthogonal plane using vectors in planes?

To find an orthogonal plane using vectors in planes, you can use the dot product of two vectors. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the two vectors are perpendicular and the plane they define is orthogonal to another plane.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors in planes and finding orthogonal planes?

Vectors in planes and finding orthogonal planes have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to calculate forces and motion in multiple dimensions, design 3D models, and create realistic simulations. They are also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine the position and orientation of objects.