Given a vector, how to compute orthogonal plane

In summary, to determine the plane that is orthogonal to a given vector in 3-d, you need a normal to the plane and two points on the plane, one of which is arbitrary. The equation for the plane can be found by taking the dot product of the direction vector and the normal vector, where the dot product is equal to 0.
MF2
Given a vector (in 3-d), how do I determine the plane that is orthogonal to it?

I am not quite finding a search term that gets me to this, but instead to several similar, but different questions.

One such is find an equation of a plane perpendicular to a vector and passing through a given point. I may have been staring at this too long, but I am not visualizing why the given point is needed.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When the plane is given by
[tex] a x + b y + c z + d = 0, [/tex]
the normal vector of that plane is [itex] (a,b,c). [/itex] Then, you just replace the normal vector to the vector what you want and find [itex] d [/itex] by using any point on the plane.

Likes Jack Davies
There are infinitely many planes orthogonal to a given vector, so you would also need to specify a point on the plane to calculate its equation. You can write a plane with normal [itex]\bf{n}[/itex] in vector notation as the set of all [itex]\bf{x} [/itex] such that [tex] \bf{x \: . n} = d [/tex] Where [itex] d[/itex] is a scalar determined by a given point. Alternatively you can expand this out in cartesian coordinates as Daeho Ro wrote above.

Likes Daeho Ro
The plane would go through one end of the vector.

For example, a 3-d vector would go from point (0,0,0) to (x,y,z). I want the plane perpendicular to this vector, going through (x,y,z). Do I need another point to define the plane, or is this enough information.

Thanks!

MF2 said:
The plane would go through one end of the vector.

For example, a 3-d vector would go from point (0,0,0) to (x,y,z). I want the plane perpendicular to this vector, going through (x,y,z). Do I need another point to define the plane, or is this enough information.

Thanks!
To get the equation of a plane, you need a normal to the plane, and two points on the plane, one of which is arbitrary and has coordinates (x, y, z). Call these points P(x, y, z) and ##P_0(x_0, y_0, z_0)##, where the coordinates ##x_0, y_0, z_0## are known.
Form a direction vector ##\vec{v} = <x - x_0, y - y_0, z - z_0>##. The normal and this vector are perpendicular, so their dot product ##\vec{v} \cdot \vec{N} = 0##. This dot product will produce the equation of the plane.

Related to Given a vector, how to compute orthogonal plane

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented as an arrow in a coordinate system.

2. What is an orthogonal plane?

An orthogonal plane is a two-dimensional surface that is perpendicular to a given vector. This means that the plane forms a 90-degree angle with the vector.

3. How do you compute an orthogonal plane?

To compute an orthogonal plane, you can use the cross product of the given vector and any other vector that is not parallel to it. This will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors, which in turn can be used to define the plane.

4. Can you find an orthogonal plane for any vector?

No, an orthogonal plane can only be defined for three-dimensional vectors. In two dimensions, a vector is already perpendicular to a one-dimensional line, so there is no need for a separate orthogonal plane.

5. What is the significance of an orthogonal plane in mathematics and science?

The concept of an orthogonal plane is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to visualize and manipulate geometric objects in three-dimensional space, and is an essential tool in solving many mathematical problems.