Vector question (using the cross product I think)

The vectors are associated to the points on the circle.In summary, the unit vectors orthogonal to both given vectors \vec{a} and \vec{b} are all fixed vectors that lie on a circle in a plane passing through the origin, with the circle being concentric to the origin. The vectors are associated to points on the circle and can be found using the dot product or by finding the plane perpendicular to either given vector.
GeauxLSU

Homework Statement

Describe all unit vectors orthogonal to both of the given vectors:

[itex]\vec{a} = 2\vec{i} - 4\vec{j} + 3\vec{k}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{b} = -4\vec{i} + 8\vec{j} - 6\vec{k}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The cross product of two vectors using the determinant, then dividing by the magnitude of the vector solution to find the unit vector

The Attempt at a Solution

Alrighty, so my dumb self didn't recognize that these two vectors were parallel when I started the problem, so I went ahead and did the cross product and got 0, of course.

I also know that the unit vector for the the two vectors is
[itex]\pm 3 \sqrt{3}(\vec{i} - \vec{j} + \vec{k}) [/itex]

So what I need is how to determine what are all the possible vectors orthogonal to those bad boys.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The dot product of orthogonal vectors is zero. You can use this fact to find the required general vector. Also are you sure the unit vector you show is correct? The norm doesn't appear to be 1.

Two vectors are orthagonal when their dot products are zero.

Use the dot product to find [itex]c\cdot a=0[/itex] and [itex]c\cdot b=0[/itex] for some unknown vector c.

The normal vector you find will be orthagonal to both a and b. But they threw you a curve. b=-2a. a and b lie on the same line. so you will get the family of unit othagonal vectors lying in the plane perpendicular to a and b.

Because these vectors are parallel (which I did not notice until I read Phrak's response), the set of all vector orthogonal to them- i.e. orthogonal to the single vector [itex]2\vec{i}- 4\vec{j}+ 3\vec{k}[/itex]- or to the single vector [itex]4\vec{i}- 8\vec{j}+ 6\vec{k}[/itex]- lie on the plane perpendicular to that vector. Use either of the given vectors to find the plane perpendicular to it and containing (0, 0, 0) and write a vector equation for any point in that plane. Note that a plane is two dimensional so the general such vector will depend on two parameters. After you have the general form, divide by the length to get unit vectors.

(Which works out to be very similar to Phrak's "dot product= 0" suggestion.)

Last edited by a moderator:
GeauxLSU said:

Homework Statement

Describe all unit vectors orthogonal to both of the given vectors:

[itex]\vec{a} = 2\vec{i} - 4\vec{j} + 3\vec{k}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{b} = -4\vec{i} + 8\vec{j} - 6\vec{k}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The cross product of two vectors using the determinant, then dividing by the magnitude of the vector solution to find the unit vector

The Attempt at a Solution

Alrighty, so my dumb self didn't recognize that these two vectors were parallel when I started the problem, so I went ahead and did the cross product and got 0, of course.

I also know that the unit vector for the the two vectors is
[itex]\pm 3 \sqrt{3}(\vec{i} - \vec{j} + \vec{k}) [/itex]

So what I need is how to determine what are all the possible vectors orthogonal to those bad boys.

Thanks!

I would try and get unit vectors of a and b then cross-product them ( axb then bxa )

HallsofIvy said:
(Which works out to be very similar to Phrak's "dot product= 0" suggestion.)

Thanks. I wasn't thinking ahead. My idea leads to a messy problem. How did you know?

stallionx said:
I would try and get unit vectors of a and b then cross-product them ( axb then bxa )

NO! That's what you suggested before and both Phrak and I told you that is wrong. Because [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex] are parallel, their cross product (and the cross products of any multiples of them) will be the zero vector. Instead, do what both I and Phrak suggested.

HallsofIvy said:
NO! That's what you suggested before and both Phrak and I told you that is wrong. Because [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex] are parallel, their cross product (and the cross products of any multiples of them) will be the zero vector. Instead, do what both I and Phrak suggested.

Then, can we conclude that the solution is a hollow cylinder in 3-D ?

stallionx said:
Then, can we conclude that the solution is a hollow cylinder in 3-D ?

The solution consist of fixed vectors with their tales at the origin. There will be some plane, passing through the origin. The heads of the vectors lie on a circle in the plane, the circle concentric to the origin.

Related to Vector question (using the cross product I think)

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" or "⨯".

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, A and B, is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the unit vectors i, j, and k, along with the components of A and B. The resulting vector is given by A x B = (AyBz - AzBy)i + (AzBx - AxBz)j + (AxBy - AyBx)k.

3. What is the geometrical interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product has a geometrical interpretation as well. The magnitude of the resulting vector represents the area of the parallelogram formed by the two input vectors, and the direction of the vector is perpendicular to this plane.

4. Can the cross product be used in higher dimensions?

No, the cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors. In higher dimensions, the vector operation known as the cross product is replaced by the vector operation known as the wedge product.

5. In what situations is the cross product useful?

The cross product has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating torque and angular momentum, finding the normal vector to a plane, and determining the direction of magnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics for lighting and shading calculations.