Vector Calculus II: Flux Integrals

In summary, to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface, we use the integral of the dot product of the vector field and the surface normal vector, which can be found using the parametrization method. In this particular problem, the flux through the given square surface is -8.
Tylerdhamlin

Homework Statement

Calculate the flux of the vector field through the surface: F = i + 2j through a square of side length 2, lying in the plane x + y + z = 1, oriented away from the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I need to take the integral over the surface of F dotted with dA. I've solved for dA already. I'm trying to think of the limits of integrations, but I can't figure them out. Often these relatively simply things seem to slip my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for flux through a surface, which is the integral of the dot product of the vector field and the surface normal vector, dA. In this case, since the surface is a square, we can use the parametrization method to find the surface normal vector.

First, let's parametrize the surface using two variables, u and v, with the following equations:

x = u
y = v
z = 1 - u - v

Next, we can find the partial derivatives of x, y, and z with respect to u and v:

∂x/∂u = 1
∂x/∂v = 0
∂y/∂u = 0
∂y/∂v = 1
∂z/∂u = -1
∂z/∂v = -1

Using these partial derivatives, we can find the cross product of the two tangent vectors, which will give us the surface normal vector:

n = (∂x/∂u, ∂y/∂u, ∂z/∂u) x (∂x/∂v, ∂y/∂v, ∂z/∂v)
= (1, 0, -1) x (0, 1, -1)
= (-1, -1, -1)

Now, we can set up the integral:

∫∫F⋅dA = ∫∫(i + 2j)⋅(-1, -1, -1)dA
= ∫∫-i - 2j - k dA

Since the surface is a square with side length 2, the limits of integration for u and v will be from -1 to 1. Therefore, the integral becomes:

∫∫-i - 2j - k dA = ∫-1^1 ∫-1^1 -i - 2j - k du dv

Evaluating this integral, we get a flux of -8 through the surface. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the steps.

Related to Vector Calculus II: Flux Integrals

1. What is a flux integral?

A flux integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface. It represents the overall magnitude of a vector field passing through a specified surface area.

2. How is a flux integral calculated?

A flux integral is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the surface's normal vector, and then integrating the result over the surface. This can be done using various techniques such as Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, or the Divergence theorem.

3. What is the difference between a surface integral and a flux integral?

A surface integral is the general term for integrating a function over a surface, while a flux integral specifically refers to integrating a vector field over a surface. A flux integral is a type of surface integral, but not all surface integrals are flux integrals.

4. What is the significance of a negative flux integral?

A negative flux integral indicates that the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the surface's normal vector. This means that the flow is entering the surface rather than exiting it.

5. In what real-world applications is flux integral used?

Flux integrals have various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flow of fluid through a surface, determining the amount of light or heat passing through a surface, and modeling the electric or magnetic field around a surface.