Vector calculus double integrals

Here you are finding the volume over a rectangle, so rectangular coordinates are appropriate.In summary, to find the volume of the solid under the surface z=4-x^2-y^2 and over the rectangle R consisting of all points (x,y) such that 0<=x<=1 and 0<=y<=2, we use the formula \int^{2}_{0}\int^{1}_{0} 4-x^{2}-y^{2} dx dy and do not need to convert to polar coordinates.
braindead101
Find the volume V of the solid under the surface z=4-x^2-y^2 and over the rectangle R consisting of all points (x,y) such that 0<=x<=1 and 0<=y<=2.

I have started, but am unsure if my approach is correct or not.

x = 4-x^2-y^2
[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\int^{1}_{0} 4-x^{2}-y^{2} dx dy[/tex]
is this correct?

or should i be putting it in polar coordinates, in which case how do i set up the limit of integration
[tex]\int\int_{\Omega} f(x,y) dA[/tex]
[tex]\Omega = \left\{ (x,y) | 0<=x<=1, 0<=y<=2 \right\}[/tex] ? is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for the volume under the surface, within the bounds of the rectangle, right? Your first one is fine, though I think you meant to say f(x,y) = 4-x^2-y^2.

braindead101 said:
Find the volume V of the solid under the surface z=4-x^2-y^2 and over the rectangle R consisting of all points (x,y) such that 0<=x<=1 and 0<=y<=2.

I have started, but am unsure if my approach is correct or not.

x = 4-x^2-y^2
I'm not sure why you would write that: z= 4- x2- y2, not x.

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\int^{1}_{0} 4-x^{2}-y^{2} dx dy[/tex]
is this correct?

or should i be putting it in polar coordinates, in which case how do i set up the limit of integration
[tex]\Omega = \left\{ (x,y) | 0<=x<=1, 0<=y<=2 \right\}[/tex] ? is this right?
Of course, your first calculation is correct. In fact, the second formula,
is also correct- it's just a general statement of the formula for volume.
But there is no reason to change to polar coordinates. Polar coordinates would be appropriate if you were finding the volume over a disk.

Related to Vector calculus double integrals

1. What is a double integral in vector calculus?

A double integral in vector calculus is a type of integration that involves two variables and is used to find the volume under a curved surface or the area between two curves in three-dimensional space. It is represented by the symbol ∬ and is calculated by integrating an inner function with respect to one variable, and then integrating the resulting function with respect to the other variable.

2. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

The main difference between a single integral and a double integral is the number of variables involved. A single integral involves only one variable, while a double integral involves two variables. This means that a single integral is used to find the area under a curve in two-dimensional space, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

3. How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated by using the same techniques as a single integral, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus and integration by substitution. However, in the case of a double integral, the integration is done in two stages, first integrating with respect to one variable and then integrating the resulting function with respect to the other variable.

4. What are the applications of double integrals in vector calculus?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to calculate the volume of three-dimensional objects, such as tanks or containers, and to find the mass of a three-dimensional object with a variable density. They are also used in calculating moments of inertia and solving problems related to fluid flow and surface area.

5. Can a double integral be extended to more than two variables?

Yes, a double integral can be extended to more than two variables, resulting in a triple integral. This is useful for finding the volume of objects in four-dimensional space or for solving problems involving functions with three independent variables. However, as the number of variables increases, the calculation becomes more complex and often requires advanced techniques such as change of variables and iterated integrals.