Vector calculus: divergence of a cross product

In summary: Keep going like that and you'll get it. In summary, the conversation is about proving the identity div (a x b) = b dot (curl a) - a dot (curl b) using the cross product and divergence. The attempt involves finding the cross product and taking partial derivatives, but there is confusion about how to properly differentiate and rearrange terms.
elimenohpee

Homework Statement

I need to prove the identity div (a x b) = b dot (curl a) - a dot (curl b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the proof about 10 times now, and everytime I get the left hand of the identity equal to this:
(all the d's are partial derivatives)
d(a3b1)/dx - d(a2b1)/dx + d(a3b1)/dy - d(a1b3)/dy + d(a1b2)/dz - d(a2b1)/dz
where vector a = a1i + a2j + a3k and vector b = b1i + b2j + b3k
When I do the right hand side I get exactly the same thing above but doubled. So in affect I'm deriving 1 = 2. I'm sure there is an easy identity to manipulate the cross and dot products, but the brute force method should work and it's not, and I'm am completely lost as to where.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi elimenohpee! :smile:

(have a curly d: ∂ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
elimenohpee said:
When I do the right hand side I get exactly the same thing above but doubled. So in affect I'm deriving 1 = 2.

Why? :confused:

You should. for example, be getting b1(∂a3/∂y - ∂a2/∂z) on the left, which is b1(curl a)1 :smile:

I'm having the exact same problem, here's mine re-done with some tex:

Question:
Prove [tex]\nabla \cdot \left( A \times B \right) = B \cdot \left( \nabla \times A \right) - \left( \nabla \times B \right) [/tex]
Where A, B, C are vectors

Attempt:
I started by working with the LHS, by finding the cross product then finding the divergence.

[tex] \nabla \cdot \Left( \left( A_y B_z - A_z B_y \right) i + \left( A_z B_x - A_x B_z \right) j + \left( A_x B_y - A_y B_x \right) \Right) k [/tex]

Then taking the partial derivatives [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex] onto i (and y onto j, z onto k) I keep ending up with zero! Either my working of the cross product is wrong, or my partial derivatives are.

Last edited:
Your cross product is fine, so you're messing up the differentiation. The first term in the divergence will be

[tex]\partial_x (A_yB_z-A_zB_y) = (\partial_x A_y) B_z + A_y (\partial_x B_z) - (\partial_x A_z)B_y - A_z(\partial_x B_y)[/tex]

Is that what you got?

I guess I don't know how to do partial deriv. properly, but I can see how you got that. So the second term would be
[tex]\partial_y (A_zB_x-A_xB_z) = (\partial_y A_z) B_x + A_z (\partial_y B_x) - (\partial_y A_x)B_z - A_x(\partial_y B_z)[/tex]

But from there do the partial derivatives just drop? So does the above 2nd term become
[tex]B_x + A_z - B_z - A_x[/tex]

I'm confused between
[tex]\partial_x x = 1 [/tex]
[tex]\partial_x y = ? [/tex]
[tex]\partial_x xy = x \partial_x y + y \partial_x x = y [/tex]

Last edited:
No, the components of the vectors are functions of x, y, and z. You can't really do anything more with them. Now it's a matter of rearranging the terms until it looks like the other side of the equation. For instance, you can combine two of the terms you have so far like this:

[tex]-A_z(\partial_x B_y)+A_z(\partial_y B_x) = -\A_z(\partial_x B_y - \partial_y B_x) = -A_z (\nabla \times B)_z[/tex]

which is part of [itex]A\cdot(\nabla \times B)[/itex].

Related to Vector calculus: divergence of a cross product

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the use of mathematical operations such as differentiation and integration to analyze vector fields.

2. What is the divergence of a cross product?

The divergence of a cross product is a mathematical operation that takes the dot product of the cross product of two vector fields. It is a way to measure how much a vector field is "spreading out" or "converging" at a given point in space.

3. How is the divergence of a cross product used in physics?

The divergence of a cross product has many applications in physics, including electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It is used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface, which is important in understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and temperature distribution.

4. Is the divergence of a cross product always zero?

No, the divergence of a cross product is not always zero. It depends on the vector fields involved and the region of space being considered. In some cases, the divergence of a cross product may be zero, while in others it may have a non-zero value.

5. What is the relationship between the divergence of a cross product and the curl of a vector field?

The divergence of a cross product is related to the curl of a vector field through the vector calculus identity known as the divergence theorem. This theorem states that the flux of the curl of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface. In other words, the divergence of a cross product is the "source" of the curl of a vector field.