Vector airplane distance problem

In summary, an air traffic controller observed two aircraft on his radar screen, one at altitude 900 m, horizontal distance 19.0 km, and 25.0° south of west, and the other at altitude 1200 m, horizontal distance 17.6 km, and 17.0° south of west. To find the distance between the two aircraft, the vectors representing their positions were subtracted and the magnitude of the resulting vector was found to be approximately 2.96 km.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

An air-traffic controller observes two aircraft on his radar screen. The first is at altitude 900 m, horizontal distance 19.0 km, and 25.0° south of west. The second aircraft is at altitude 1200 m, horizontal distance 17.6 km, and 17.0° south of west. What is the distance between the two aircraft? (Place the x-axis west, the y-axis south, and the z axis vertical.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my vectors for each airplane are:

<17.22, 8.03, .9>
<16.83, 13.18, 2.1>

adding them together and then getting the resultant i get 36.57 kilometers, however that's wrong and I'm not sure what i did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your second vector, neither the y-component nor the z-component is correct.

Also, adding them together and taking the resultant is not what you want to do. Think about it. Draw a picture.

cepheid said:
For your second vector, neither the y-component nor the z-component is correct.

sorry that was a typo...i accidently wrote down the added values.

cepheid said:
Also, adding them together and taking the resultant is not what you want to do. Think about it. Draw a picture.

ahh i see, i believe i should have subtracted the vectors?

reworking the problem by subtracting, i get 2.96 km...could someone verify my answer?

Subtracting is the right thing to do to find a vector that goes from one plane to the other. Then you need to find the magnitude of this vector.

I get an answer that is pretty close to that.

cepheid said:
Subtracting is the right thing to do to find a vector that goes from one plane to the other. Then you need to find the magnitude of this vector.

I get an answer that is pretty close to that.

ok yes that is what i did for my second answer...thank you for the help!

Related to Vector airplane distance problem

What is the Vector Airplane Distance Problem?

The Vector Airplane Distance Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the distance between two points in three-dimensional space, using vectors. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the distance traveled by an airplane or a projectile.

How do you solve the Vector Airplane Distance Problem?

To solve the Vector Airplane Distance Problem, you need to find the magnitude and direction of each vector, and then use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the distance. It is important to set up a coordinate system and label your vectors correctly before solving the problem.

What are some real-life applications of the Vector Airplane Distance Problem?

The Vector Airplane Distance Problem has many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a plane or a missile, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It is also used in navigation systems, satellite communication, and 3D modeling.

What are some common mistakes when solving the Vector Airplane Distance Problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the Vector Airplane Distance Problem include not correctly labeling the vectors, using the wrong trigonometric functions, and forgetting to convert units. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the vectors, as it can greatly affect the final answer.

Are there any online resources available for practicing the Vector Airplane Distance Problem?

Yes, there are many online resources available for practicing the Vector Airplane Distance Problem. You can find practice problems and step-by-step solutions on math websites and educational platforms. You can also find interactive tools and simulations to help you understand and solve the problem more easily.