How Do You Calculate Direction and Vector Components in Physics Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with their physics homework. They asked for help with a problem involving an airplane traveling between three cities and someone responded with the answer and a second problem about vector components. The second problem is still unsolved and someone suggested finding the x-component using trigonometry.
Scropion
Physics HWK? Someone help?
An airplane flies 200 km due west from city A to city B and then 330 km in the direction of 33.0° north of west from city B to city C.
(a) In straight-line distance, how far is city C from city A?
I got this and its 509

b) Relative to city A, in what direction is city C?
this problem is killing me someone help mee!

This too
The magnitude of vector vector A is 41.9 units and points in the direction 307° counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Calculate the x-component of this vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out the first problem.

The second problem is killing me now. =[

Code:
The magnitude of vector vector A  is 41.9 units and points in the direction 307° counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Calculate the x-component of this vector.

anyone?/

Scropion said:
The magnitude of vector vector A is 41.9 units and points in the direction 307° counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Calculate the x-component of this vector.

307 degrees counterclockwise is 53 degrees clockwise, right,,, now you can say Ax=A*cos53

Related to How Do You Calculate Direction and Vector Components in Physics Problems?

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at both the macroscopic and microscopic level.

2. How is physics related to other branches of science?

Physics is considered to be the most fundamental and overarching of all the sciences. It provides the foundation for other branches of science such as chemistry, biology, and astronomy. Many concepts and principles in these fields can be explained and understood through the laws of physics.

3. What are the main areas of study in physics?

The main areas of study in physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and quantum mechanics. Other subfields include astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.

4. What are some common tools and techniques used in physics?

Some common tools and techniques used in physics include mathematical models and equations, experiments, simulations, and various scientific instruments such as microscopes, telescopes, and particle accelerators. Computers also play a crucial role in data analysis and simulations in modern physics research.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage in problem-solving and practice. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to discuss and clarify concepts. Additionally, staying updated on current research and developments in physics can also enhance your understanding of the subject.