Vector Addition Help: Finding the Resultant Vector using the Component Method

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve a physics problem involving displacement vectors. They provide their attempt at a solution using the component method, but are unable to get the correct answer. They ask for help and provide the correct answer as an angle of 10.2 degrees and a magnitude of 30.2 m.
VectorHugo
EDIT: ****Nevermind, I just mis-typed everything into my calculator. I had to put my X and Y values in parenthesis - ie sqrt((29.47)^2 + (-5.32)^2)**************

I *think* I am doing this right, but I can never get the right answer. Does anybody notice what is going wrong?

The correct answer to this problem is an angle of 10.2 degrees and a magnitude of 30.2 m.

Homework Statement

A football player runs the pattern given in the drawing by the three displacement vectors A, B, and C. The magnitudes of these vectors are A = 5.00 m, B = 15 m, and C = 18 m. Using the component method, find the magnitude and direction (theta) of the resultant vector A + B + C.

http://univirtual.info/elementaryphysics/art/images/cutnell3158c01/image_n/ngr021.gif

Homework Equations

Dx: Ax + Bx + Cx
Dy: Ay + By + Cy

The Attempt at a Solution

Ax: (5 cos 90) = 0 m
Bx: (15 cos 0) = 15 m
Cx: (18 cos 325) = 14.74 m

Ay: (5 sin 90) = 5 m
By: (15 sin 0) = 0 m
Cy: (18 sin 325) = -10.32 m *i measured all the angles from the x axis*

Dx = 29.74 m
Dy = -5.32 m

D = sqrt(29.742 + -5.322) = 29.26 m

theta = tan-1 (Dy/Dx) = 10.1 degrees

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why this isn't working. I just can't seem to get the right answer. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

I would first check to ensure that the values for the displacement vectors A, B, and C were correctly entered into the component method equations. I would also double check the trigonometric calculations for each component to make sure they were accurate. Additionally, I would verify that the angles were measured correctly from the x-axis, as this could impact the final result.

If all of these factors were correct, I would suggest using a different method to solve for the resultant vector, such as the graphical method or the parallelogram method, to see if the results match. This would help to confirm if there is an error in the calculations or if there is an issue with the given values.

I would also recommend reviewing the steps and equations used in the component method to ensure they were applied correctly. Sometimes, a small error in calculation or a missed step can lead to an incorrect result.

Overall, it is important to carefully review and double check all calculations and methods used in order to accurately determine the resultant vector. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or peer to identify any potential errors.

Related to Vector Addition Help: Finding the Resultant Vector using the Component Method

What is Vector Addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to find the resultant vector. It is used to determine the sum of multiple forces or velocities acting on an object.

What is the Component Method?

The Component Method is a technique used to find the resultant vector by breaking down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components. These components can then be added together to find the resultant vector.

How do you use the Component Method to find the Resultant Vector?

To use the Component Method, you first need to find the horizontal and vertical components of each vector. Then, simply add the horizontal components together and the vertical components together. The resultant vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem with the horizontal and vertical components as the legs of a right triangle.

What is the difference between Scalar and Vector Quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, meaning they have a numerical value and unit of measurement. Examples include temperature, mass, and speed. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, meaning they are represented by a magnitude and a direction. Examples include force, displacement, and velocity.

Can the Resultant Vector ever be larger than the individual Vectors?

Yes, the resultant vector can be larger than the individual vectors. This occurs when the individual vectors are acting in the same direction, resulting in a larger magnitude for the resultant vector. However, if the individual vectors are acting in opposite directions, the resultant vector may be smaller or even zero, depending on their magnitudes.