How to Find Vector Components Along an Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum and difference of two vectors, A and B, with given magnitudes and directions. Additionally, the concept of finding the components of a vector along the x and y axes is discussed. The conversation ends with a request for conceptual help on finding the components of a vector along the axes.
anti404
1. Vector A has a magnitude of 3 m and makes an angle of 10o with the positive x axis. Vector B also has a magnitude of 10 m and is directed along the negative x axis. Enter your answers in distance then angle(in degrees).
Find A + B
Find A - B

2. R = sqrroot(Cx^2+Cy^2)
Cx = Ax+Bx
Cy = Ay+By
A*sin(theta)=x
B*sin(theta)=y

3. 3*sin10=.5209 = Ay; 3*cos10=2.954=Ax

basically, I don't know how to get By and Bx values from a vector that is following either axis. if I could get those, then I would become unstuck from this problem very quickly. any conceptual help would be appreciated.
Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
anti404 said:
1. Vector A has a magnitude of 3 m and makes an angle of 10o with the positive x axis. Vector B also has a magnitude of 10 m and is directed along the negative x axis. Enter your answers in distance then angle(in degrees).
Find A + B
Find A - B

2. R = sqrroot(Cx^2+Cy^2)
Cx = Ax+Bx
Cy = Ay+By
A*sin(theta)=x
B*sin(theta)=y

3. 3*sin10=.5209 = Ay; 3*cos10=2.954=Ax

basically, I don't know how to get By and Bx values from a vector that is following either axis. if I could get those, then I would become unstuck from this problem very quickly. any conceptual help would be appreciated.
Justin

Just draw out the B vector on its own. The Bx and By components have to add up to the total B vector. If the vector is ONLY in the x direction, what do you think the y component would be?

Related to How to Find Vector Components Along an Axis

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector. It involves adding the corresponding components of each vector to find the resultant vector.

2. What are the properties of vector addition?

The properties of vector addition include commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. Commutativity means that the order of addition does not affect the result, associativity means that the grouping of vectors in the addition does not affect the result, and distributivity means that the addition of two or more vectors can be done separately and then added together.

3. How do you add two vectors graphically?

To add two vectors graphically, you first draw the two vectors on a graph with their tails at the same point. Then, you draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resultant vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

4. How do you add two vectors algebraically?

To add two vectors algebraically, you add the corresponding components of each vector. For example, to add two 2D vectors (a,b) and (c,d), the resultant vector would be (a+c, b+d). This can also be extended to 3D vectors by adding the corresponding x, y, and z components.

5. What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

Vector addition involves adding two or more vectors to create a new vector, while scalar addition involves adding a scalar (a single numerical value) to a vector. Scalar addition only affects the magnitude of the vector, while vector addition affects both the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.