Vector addition. finding x & y components, the magnitude, & the angle

In summary: A.In summary, the problem involves finding the components and magnitude of two vectors with equal magnitude of 14.8 m and angles of theta 1 = 32 deg and theta 2 = 108 deg. The x component is found by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the angle, while the y component is found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle. The vector sum is found by adding the x and y components, and the magnitude of the vector sum is found using the Pythagorean theorem. To find the angle that the vector sum makes with the positive direction of the x-axis, the inverse tangent of the y component over the x component is taken. However, in this case, theta 2 should
pizzie

Homework Statement

Two vectors have equal magnitude of 14.8 m and the angles are theta 1 = 32 deg & theta 2 = 108 deg. Find a) their x component b)their y component of vector sum [tex]\vec{}r[/tex] c) the magnitude of [tex]\vec{}r[/tex] & d) the angle [tex]\vec{}r[/tex] makes with the positive direction of the x axis.

Homework Equations

Ax = Acos(theta)
Ay = Asin(theta)
Rx = Ax + Bx
Ry = Ay + By
R = sqrt of [Rx (squared) + Ry (squared)]
theta = arctan of (Ry/Rx)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) First, I found Ax by doing 14.8 * cos32 which gave me 12.55
then i found Bx by multiplying 14.8*cos108 which gave me -4.57
I added those two for Rx] & got 7.98 m

b) i found the y of A by doing 14.8sin32 = 7.8428. i found the y of B by doing 14.8sin108 = 14.0756. i added 7.8 & 14.0756 to get Ry & got 21.9 m

c) i took the square root of (7.98(squared) + 21.9(squared) & got 23.3 m

d) to find theta i took the inverse tangent of 21.9/7.98 & got 7.9776 degrees

the problem is that all of my answers are wrong & I'm not sure where my issue is. any help would be much appreciated. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers look fine to me except for the angle r makes with the x-axis. Your approach is fine, so you probably just plugged it into the calculator incorrectly.

thanks. i figured it out. i needed to use 140 for theta 2 (108+32). because B's angle was 108 plus the 32

Related to Vector addition. finding x & y components, the magnitude, & the angle

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to find a resultant vector. It is used to determine the overall direction and magnitude of motion when multiple forces are acting on an object.

2. How do you find the x and y components of a vector?

The x and y components of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions. The x component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle it makes with the x-axis. The y component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the sine of the angle.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length or size of the vector. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components.

4. What is the angle of a vector?

The angle of a vector is the direction it is pointing in relation to a reference axis, usually the positive x-axis. It can be calculated using trigonometric functions or by using the inverse tangent function, tan⁻¹, to find the angle between the y and x components.

5. How can vector addition be applied in real-world situations?

Vector addition is commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation to determine the resultant force or motion of an object. It can also be applied in sports, such as finding the overall velocity of a moving object in track and field events, or in aviation to determine the resultant velocity of an aircraft.