Variance of mass inside a black hole

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the variance of mass released when a particle jumps between energy levels inside a black hole. However, this may not be possible due to the deconstruction of atoms and particles near the gravitational singularity of a black hole. The poster's professor has approved of this topic, but it may be difficult to merge quantum mechanics with general relativity for a school project. Previous work by Bekenstein has addressed the mass aspect, but not the charge aspect, which is the focus of this project. A book by Yuval Ne'eman is being used as a reference for this project. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
ji2gy
HI,
I need to calculate the variance of mass released when a particle jumps down or up between energy levels
inside a black hole , i don't know where to begin
any advice will help
thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ji2gy said:
HI,
I need to calculate the variance of mass released when a particle jumps down or up between energy levels
any advice will help
thanks
We have no idea what happens to mass when it gets to the singularity in a black hole, but I doubt it's still able to jump energy levels. Why do you need to calculate this?

its for my final project degree
helping my professor, i regret it now for choosing this subject :)
thanks anyway

ji2gy said:
its for my final project degree
helping my professor, i regret it now for choosing this subject :)
thanks anyway
Welcome to the PF.

Your professor is okay with this topic? Can you post links to other work that has been published in this area? As phinds says, on the surface of it, the question would seem not to make sense.

ji2gy said:
HI,
any advice will help
thanks
Wouldn't that require you to successfully merge quantum mechanics with general relativity? Seems difficult for a school project.

Changes in energy levels are typically associated with electrons in an atom jumping from one shell to another. This cannot happen at the 'surface' or interior of a black hole because atoms and even their constituent particles are deconstructed before they can get that close to a gravitational singularity. It probably cannot even occur in the case of a neutron star or white dwarf for similar reason. Electrons are disassociated from atoms in degenerate matter states..

thanks everyone for their answer
but my task is only in statistical quantum-thermal approach to the problem , i found that bekenstein already did it for mass but i need the same for charge,he assumed Q=0 , and i guess its not the same solution
i uploaded it ,its from the book to fulfill a vision - Yuval Ne'eman http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9780201052893?cm_sp=bdp-_-9780201052893-_-isbn10
anything will be very helpful
thanks

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 319

Related to Variance of mass inside a black hole

1. What is the variance of mass inside a black hole?

The variance of mass inside a black hole refers to the changes in mass that occur within the event horizon, the point of no return for matter and light. This is where the strong gravitational pull of the black hole causes even light to be unable to escape, making it difficult to directly observe the mass inside.

2. How is the mass inside a black hole measured?

The mass inside a black hole can be measured indirectly through its effects on surrounding matter and light. Scientists can also estimate the mass by studying the orbital patterns of objects around the black hole, such as stars or gas clouds.

3. Can the mass inside a black hole change over time?

Yes, the mass inside a black hole can change over time. As matter and energy fall into the black hole, the mass will increase. However, black holes can also lose mass through a process called Hawking radiation, where particles are emitted from the event horizon.

4. What happens to the mass inside a black hole?

The mass inside a black hole is compressed to an infinitely small point known as a singularity. This is where the laws of physics as we know them break down and we do not fully understand what happens to the mass at this point.

5. Is the mass inside a black hole evenly distributed?

No, the mass inside a black hole is not evenly distributed. It is concentrated at the singularity, with the density increasing as you get closer to it. This creates a strong gravitational pull that affects the surrounding space-time.