Calculating Circuit Resistance: Regular Hexagon Wire with Diagonal Resistance

• Thread starter mercury
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with the effective resistance of a circuit. The circuit contains a 10V battery and the resistance consists of a wire in the shape of a regular hexagon with all sides equal and all diagonals drawn. The resistance of each side and each portion of the diagonal is R. The person is seeking help to rearrange the resistors, similar to arranging a cube of resistors in series and parallel connections. They are unsure how to identify points with the same potential and are looking for more detailed instructions or a visual aid. The other person is not confident in solving this type of problem but is willing to help if a picture is provided.
mercury
hey i have a problem with effective reisitance of a circuit

what is the current in a circuit containing a 10V battery , the resistance consists of a wire in the shape of a regular hexagon (all sides equal) with all the diagonals drawn. each side of the hexagon and each portion of the diagonal has a resistance R .
(say the hexagon is ABCDEF and O is the pt. of intersection of all the diagonals then resistance of AB = resistance of BC= ...= resistance of OA = resistance of OC ...)
i hope u understand..i would display a diagram if i could..but right now i am not able to..nevertheless , would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
try to rearrange all the resistors
just like with a cube of resistors, where you end up with (R//R//R)+(R//R//R//R//R//R)+(R//R//R)

do u mean..that i should try and figure out series and parallel connections..if that's what u mean..i did try.but i was'nt able to identify pts. having the same potential ,which is what one ought to do...isn't it ?

is there anyway u could explain what should be done a little more in detail?
thanks in advance

what you said is what i meant, i am not good in that solving that kind of problems
but if you can make a picture maybe i can help, am now in doubt whoich circuit you mean i can think of 2 different circuits now

1. How do I calculate the resistance of a regular hexagon wire with diagonal resistance?

To calculate the resistance of a regular hexagon wire with diagonal resistance, you will need to use the formula R = ρL/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. You will also need to take into account the diagonal resistance, which can be calculated using R_diagonal = (ρL_diagonal)/A_diagonal. Once you have both resistances, you can add them together to get the total resistance of the wire.

2. What is the resistivity of a regular hexagon wire?

The resistivity of a material is a measure of its ability to resist the flow of electric current. The resistivity of a regular hexagon wire will depend on the material it is made of. Common materials used for wires include copper, aluminum, and steel, each with different resistivity values. You can find the resistivity of a specific material in a table or by researching online.

3. How does the length of the wire affect the resistance?

The longer the wire, the higher the resistance. This is because the longer the wire, the more collisions there will be between the electrons and the atoms in the wire, which will impede the flow of current. This relationship is described by the formula R = ρL/A, where R is directly proportional to L (length).

4. What is the cross-sectional area of a regular hexagon wire?

The cross-sectional area of a regular hexagon wire is the area of the cross-section of the wire, perpendicular to the direction of the current flow. This can be calculated using the formula A = (3√3/2) x s^2, where s is the length of one side of the hexagon.

5. How does the diagonal resistance affect the overall resistance of a regular hexagon wire?

The diagonal resistance of a wire can significantly increase the overall resistance of the wire. This is because the diagonal resistance is calculated using the same formula as the regular resistance, and when added together, they will result in a higher total resistance. It is important to take into account the diagonal resistance when calculating the total resistance of a regular hexagon wire.