Finding Internal Resistance of a Battery

In summary: Ah yes I guess I forgot the voltmeter is just along a wire. Now current is given by ##i=\frac{v_0}{R_i+R_v}## and then voltage across ##R_v## will be ##V_{Rv}=iR_v=\frac{v_0R_v}{R_i+R_v}## which will be equal to the voltmeter reading of 0.9V, after solving gives ##R_i=\frac{R_v(v_0-0.9V)}{0.9V}=666.67\Omega##, I can't comprehend why it measures voltage across ##R_v## though
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

A real battery can be modeled as an ideal voltage source in series with a resistor. A voltmeter with input resistance of ##1000\Omega## measures the voltage of a 1.5V worn out battery as 0.9V. What is the internal resistance of the battery.

Homework Equations

##V=IR##

The Attempt at a Solution

After I had already drawn the circuit I realized it's wrong to have a wire with nothing on it along the right side but it's painful to draw the circuits so I'll just mention to ignore that section rather than redraw it.
confused.png

I'm quite lost as to how to solve this question, the battery has a voltage of 1.5V so ##V_0=1.5V## but the voltmeter is reading 0.9V. Now without the right hand portion of the circuit ##R_v## and ##R_i## are in series so the current is given by ##i=\frac{v_0}{R_v+R_i}##, now from KVL ##v_0=i(R_v+R_i)## but my ##i## will just cancel out everything and I'll end up with essentially nothing. Not really sure what to do with the voltmeter reading 0.9V.

Physics news on Phys.org
Having found the expression for the current, as you have, figure out all the voltage drops.

Likes Potatochip911
haruspex said:
Having found the expression for the current, as you have, figure out all the voltage drops.
Ok then the voltage drop across ##R_i## is ##V_{Ri}=\frac{v_0}{R_v+R_i}R_i## and across ##R_v## is ##V_{Rv}=\frac{v_0}{R_v+R_i}R_v##, I'm not really sure what to do with these though, KVL gives ##v_0=V_{Rv}+V_{Ri}## but this doesn't seem to be leading to the solution.

Potatochip911 said:
Ok then the voltage drop across ##R_i## is ##V_{Ri}=\frac{v_0}{R_v+R_i}R_i## and across ##R_v## is ##V_{Rv}=\frac{v_0}{R_v+R_i}R_v##, I'm not really sure what to do with these though, KVL gives ##v_0=V_{Rv}+V_{Ri}## but this doesn't seem to be leading to the solution.
What voltage drop does the voltmeter measure?

Likes Potatochip911
haruspex said:
What voltage drop does the voltmeter measure?
Ok I think I understand now, I believe the voltmeter measures the drop across ##v_0## and ##R_i## so ##0.9V=V_0-iR_i##?

Potatochip911 said:
Ok I think I understand now, I believe the voltmeter measures the drop across ##v_0## and ##R_i## so ##0.9V=V_0-iR_i##?
Refer back to the voltage drops you listed in post #3. The equations you had for those were more useful. But which one does the voltmeter measure?
It may be that your diagram is confusing you. What is the purpose of the fat resistor in the voltmeter?

Likes Potatochip911
haruspex said:
Refer back to the voltage drops you listed in post #3. The equations you had for those were more useful. But which one does the voltmeter measure?
It may be that your diagram is confusing you. What is the purpose of the fat resistor in the voltmeter?
On second thoughts, sorry, you can use what you posted in post #5. It's just not quite the route I had in mind, but it comes to the same.

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

After I had already drawn the circuit I realized it's wrong to have a wire with nothing on it along the right side but it's painful to draw the circuits so I'll just mention to ignore that section rather than redraw it.
View attachment 98631
Not only that wire on the right is wrong: The real voltmeter can be considered as an ideal one (with infinite internal resistance) connected parallel with its resistance. And the voltmeter measures the voltage across its internal resistance.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-6_7-59-57.png
    upload_2016-4-6_7-59-57.png
    932 bytes · Views: 464
Likes Potatochip911
@haruspex @ehild Ok I think I finally got the answer, since ##R_v## is in parallel with the ##R_i## branch voltage across ##R_i## is the same as the voltage measured by the voltmeter. Now the current in the circuit will be given by ##i=\frac{v_0}{R_{eq}}=\frac{v_0(R_i+R_v)}{R_iR_v}## and voltage across ##R_v## will be 0.9V since this is what's measured by the voltmeter and we obtain $$0.9V=iR_v=\frac{V_0(R_i+R_v)}{R_i} \\
\frac{0.9R_i}{v_0}=R_i+R_v \\
R_i=\frac{R_v}{1-0.9/v_0}=2500\Omega$$

Potatochip911 said:
Ok I think I finally got the answer, since ##R_v## is in parallel with the ##R_i## branch voltage across ##R_i## is the same as the voltage measured by the voltmeter.
NO, it is wrong. Ri and Rv are in series, and the voltmeter measures the voltage across Rv. The ideal voltmeter is not part of the circuit, it just shows the voltage between its terminals.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
NO, it is wrong. Ri and Rv are in series, and the voltmeter measures the voltage across Rv. The ideal voltmeter is not part of the circuit, it just shows the voltage between its terminals.
Ah yes I guess I forgot the voltmeter is just along a wire. Now current is given by ##i=\frac{v_0}{R_i+R_v}## and then voltage across ##R_v## will be ##V_{Rv}=iR_v=\frac{v_0R_v}{R_i+R_v}## which will be equal to the voltmeter reading of 0.9V, after solving gives ##R_i=\frac{R_v(v_0-0.9V)}{0.9V}=666.67\Omega##, I can't comprehend why it measures voltage across ##R_v## though since then our expression for ##R_i## makes no sense if we let ##R_v\to\infty##

Potatochip911 said:
@haruspex @ehild Ok I think I finally got the answer, since ##R_v## is in parallel with the ##R_i## branch voltage across ##R_i## is the same as the voltage measured by the voltmeter. Now the current in the circuit will be given by ##i=\frac{v_0}{R_{eq}}=\frac{v_0(R_i+R_v)}{R_iR_v}## and voltage across ##R_v## will be 0.9V since this is what's measured by the voltmeter and we obtain $$0.9V=iR_v=\frac{V_0(R_i+R_v)}{R_i} \\
\frac{0.9R_i}{v_0}=R_i+R_v \\
R_i=\frac{R_v}{1-0.9/v_0}=2500\Omega$$
Let me take you back to what you had in post #3
Potatochip911 said:
##V_{Rv}=\frac{v_0}{R_v+R_i}R_v##
Relate the measured voltage to that.

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:
Ah yes I guess I forgot the voltmeter is just along a wire. Now current is given by ##i=\frac{v_0}{R_i+R_v}## and then voltage across ##R_v## will be ##V_{Rv}=iR_v=\frac{v_0R_v}{R_i+R_v}## which will be equal to the voltmeter reading of 0.9V, after solving gives ##R_i=\frac{R_v(v_0-0.9V)}{0.9V}=666.67\Omega##, I can't comprehend why it measures voltage across ##R_v## though since then our expression for ##R_i## makes no sense if we let ##R_v\to\infty##
As Rv increases, i decreases, increasing the measured voltage. In the limit the measured voltage is v0.

Likes Potatochip911
haruspex said:
As Rv increases, i decreases, increasing the measured voltage. In the limit the measured voltage is v0.
The final equation I obtained was (not sure if the correct word) independent of ##i## and only the resistors mattered. Is it due to the measured voltage 0.9V?
@ehild
Edit: Seems to just be a property of the fact that the resistance is in series with the battery's internal resistance? Does it even make sense that the internal resistance of the battery depends on the internal resistance of the DMM?

Last edited:
Potatochip911 said:
The voltage across Rv is the same as the voltage across the terminals of the battery. If the voltmeter resistance tends to infinity, the current tends to zero, the voltage read by the voltmeter is ##\lim_{R_v \rightarrow∞} \frac {V_0 R_v}{R_v+R_i}=V_0##
Or you can think the way that infinite Rv means zero current, then there is no voltage drop across Ri and the voltmeter reads the emf of the battery , 1.5 V.

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:
The final equation I obtained was (not sure if the correct word) independent of ##i## and only the resistors mattered. Is it due to the measured voltage 0.9V?
Yes. ##V_{Rv}=\frac{v_0R_v}{R_i+R_v}##, so as ##R_v\rightarrow \infty##, ##V_{R_V}\rightarrow v_0##

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:
@ehild
Edit: Seems to just be a property of the fact that the resistance is in series with the battery's internal resistance? Does it even make sense that the internal resistance of the battery depends on the internal resistance of the DMM?
The internal resistance of the battery does not depend on the resistance of the voltmeter, but the voltage measured depends on it. You would get a higher terminal voltage with a better voltmeter and you would read the emf with an ideal voltmeter.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
The voltage across Rv is the same as the voltage across the terminals of the battery.

It seems to me from KVL that the voltage across the terminals of the battery is equal to the voltage across both resistors, ##v_0=i(R_i+R_v)##?

haruspex said:
Yes. ##V_{Rv}=\frac{v_0R_v}{R_i+R_v}##, so as ##R_v\rightarrow \infty##, ##V_{R_V}\rightarrow v_0##
Ok I understand now, I was taking the limit as ##R_v\to\infty## for a function with a value of ##v_R## that would only be possible if ##R_v## was finite.

Potatochip911 said:
It seems to me from KVL that the voltage across the terminals of the battery is equal to the voltage across both resistors, ##v_0=i(R_i+R_v)##?
No, Ri is inside the battery (the yellow box) The red dots are the terminals, and they are connected to the voltmeter.
upload_2016-4-6_11-11-50.png

Likes Potatochip911

Related to Finding Internal Resistance of a Battery

1. What is internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery is the resistance that exists within the battery itself. This resistance causes a voltage drop when a current is drawn from the battery, resulting in a decrease in the battery's output voltage.

2. Why is it important to know the internal resistance of a battery?

Knowing the internal resistance of a battery can help determine its overall health and performance. It can also impact the battery's ability to power devices and how quickly it drains.

3. How can you measure the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be measured by using a multimeter and a known load. By measuring the voltage drop across the load, the internal resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I).

4. What factors can affect the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be affected by various factors such as the battery's age, temperature, and the type of material used in its construction. High temperatures and aging can increase the internal resistance, while using materials with low resistivity can decrease it.

5. How can the internal resistance of a battery be reduced?

The internal resistance of a battery can be reduced by using materials with low resistivity, such as copper, in its construction. Keeping the battery at a moderate temperature and avoiding overcharging can also help reduce the internal resistance.