Validating Logic in a Group Theory Problem

In summary: I am so confused right now.Ok, here is what I understand of factor group: If ##b \in H_i## then the factor group ##H_i / H_{i-1} = \{ bH_{i-1} \}##, am I correct? And then since ##H_i / H_{i-1}## is abelian, therefore ##bH_{i-1} = H_{i-1}b##? Am I...I am so confused right now.In summary, the commutator subgroup A' is equal to the commutator subgroup of the trivial group consisting of the identity element {1}.
A.Magnus
To make a very long story short, in a group theory problem I am working on, I need to prove this:

##A \lhd B \Rightarrow A'\neq A##,
where ##A## and ##B## are finite and ##A'## is called the commutator subgroup:

##\begin{align}
A' :&= [A, A] \\
&= \langle [x, y] \mid x, y \in A \rangle \\
&= \langle x^{-1}y^{-1}xy \rangle
\end{align}##.
Here are the lines I made out: Since ##A## is a normal subgroup, therefore it is commutative. For ##\forall x, \forall y \in A##,

##\begin{align}
xy &= yx && (1)\\
y^{-1}xy &= x && (2)\\
y^{-1}xy &\in A && (3)\\
x^{-1}y^{-1}xy &\notin A && (4)\\
\langle x^{-1}y^{-1}xy \rangle &\neq A && (5)\\
\langle [x, y] \rangle &\neq A && (6)\\
[A, A] &\neq A && (7)\\
A' &\neq A && (8)
\end{align}##.​

With this posting, I am very interested to know if the logic from line (3) to (4) and to (5) are valid, and if they are not, I would love to learn how they should be instead. Thank you for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can think of no basis at all for your step (3) to (4). Indeed, isn't the term on the left in (4) the identity element?
A.Magnus said:
Since A is a normal subgroup, therefore it is commutative.
Are you sure? A long time since I studied groups, but that doesn't sound familiar.

haruspex said:
I can think of no basis at all for your step (3) to (4). Indeed, isn't the term on the left in (4) the identity element?
Honestly I am so doubtful of this logic that I decided to put it up here as a question. Do you have any other suggestion then?

A.Magnus said:
Honestly I am so doubtful of this logic that I decided to put it up here as a question. Do you have any other suggestion then?
Why do you think what you are trying to prove is even true?
Isn't the trivial group consisting of the identity {1} a normal subgroup of B? And is it not equal to its own commutator subgroup?

haruspex said:
Are you sure? A long time since I studied groups, but that doesn't sound familiar.
What I am trying to imply is that since the definition of normal subgroup goes like this:
##N \lhd G \Leftrightarrow \forall n \in N, \forall g \in G, ng = gn##,​
does this imply that ##n## is then abelian? Let me know and thanks.

A.Magnus said:
What I am trying to imply is that since the definition of normal subgroup goes like this:
##N \lhd G \Leftrightarrow \forall n \in N, \forall g \in G, ng = gn##,​
does this imply that ##n## is then abelian? Let me know and thanks.
No, that's not the definition of a normal subgroup. g-1ng is an element of N, but not necessarily n.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_subgroup

haruspex said:
Isn't the trivial group consisting of the identity {1} a normal subgroup of B? And is it not equal to its own commutator subgroup?
Let me type in the whole question so that you can see it as a big picture, give me about 5 minutes, if you will. Thanks.

haruspex said:
I typed in the original question couple of days on MSE here, but I did not get any help perhaps because I typed in the question way TOO LONG, therefore nobody gets interested and therefore it is lost forever, and there is no way to resuscitate it back from dead. I would love to get any idea from you. Thanks.

Ok. In this thread you omitted the key constraint that A is not simply {1}.
Can you show that if Hi/Hi-1 is abelian then Hi-1 = Hi'?

haruspex said:
Is this the direction you are hinting me to pursue: If I can prove that ##H_{i-1} = H'_i##, then it implies ##H_i \neq H'_i##?

A.Magnus said:
Is this the direction you are hinting me to pursue: If I can prove that ##H_{i-1} = H'_i##, then it implies ##H_i \neq H'_i##?
No, that would be trivial. ##H_{i-1} \neq H_i## by definition, so if ##H_{i-1} = H'_i##, then ##H_i \neq H'_i##.

haruspex said:
Ok, here is what I understand of factor group: If ##b \in H_i## then the factor group ##H_i / H_{i-1} = \{ bH_{i-1} \}##, am I correct? And then since ##H_i / H_{i-1}## is abelian, therefore ##bH_{i-1} = H_{i-1}b##? Am I correct?

A.Magnus said:
since ##H_i / H_{i-1}## is abelian, therefore ##bH_{i-1} = H_{i-1}b##?
I don't see why. It certainly implies ##bH_{i-1} aH_{i-1} = aH_{i-1} bH_{i-1}## for all a, b in ##H_i##.
Take a look at https://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Abelian_Quotient_Group

haruspex said:
I don't see why. It certainly implies ##bH_{i-1} aH_{i-1} = aH_{i-1} bH_{i-1}## for all a, b in ##H_i##.
Thanks! I think I am about to get it now, I will keep working on it. Thanks again and again.

haruspex said:

Are you still there? I am continuing the conversation, suppose that ##N## is normal subgroup of ##G## and ##G/H## is abelian:

##\begin{align}
\forall aH,bH &\in G/H \\
aHbH &= bHaH \qquad \qquad &&(1) \\
abH &= baH &&(2) \\
ab(ba)^{−1} &\in H &&(3a) \\
ab(ba)^{−1} &=H &&(3b) \\
\ldots & \ldots \\
aba^{−1}b^{−1} &= H &&(4)\\
[a, b] &= H &&(5)\\
G' &= H &&(6) \\
\end{align} ##
My question is: Which one is correct, the (3a) or (3b)? As you advise, my final goal is ##G' = H##. Please advise and thanks again.

A.Magnus said:
Are you still there? I am continuing the conversation, suppose that ##N## is normal subgroup of ##G## and ##G/H## is abelian:

##\begin{align}
\forall aH,bH &\in G/H \\
aHbH &= bHaH \qquad \qquad &&(1) \\
abH &= baH &&(2) \\
ab(ba)^{−1} &\in H &&(3a) \\
ab(ba)^{−1} &=H &&(3b) \\
\ldots & \ldots \\
aba^{−1}b^{−1} &= H &&(4)\\
[a, b] &= H &&(5)\\
G' &= H &&(6) \\
\end{align} ##
My question is: Which one is correct, the (3a) or (3b)? As you advise, my final goal is ##G' = H##. Please advise and thanks again.

I assume you mean H, not N.
Clearly 3(b) is not right, but maybe you meant ##<ab(ba)^{−1}> =H##.
My reading of the link I posted is that you can only say ##<ab(ba)^{−1}> \leq H##.
But maybe that's enough to get to the result you are after.

Thank you for your time and help.

Related to Validating Logic in a Group Theory Problem

1. What does it mean for lines to be "logical"?

In the context of science, lines are considered logical if they are based on evidence and follow a logical progression of reasoning.

2. How do you determine if lines are logical?

In order to determine if lines are logical, a scientist will carefully examine the evidence used to support the lines and evaluate the reasoning used to connect them.

3. What are some common characteristics of logical lines?

Logical lines are typically based on reliable and verifiable evidence, and they follow a clear and coherent flow of reasoning.

4. Can lines be both logical and incorrect?

Yes, it is possible for lines to be logical but still be incorrect. This can happen if the evidence used to support the lines is flawed or if there are gaps in the reasoning process.

5. Why is it important for lines to be logical in science?

In science, logical lines are essential for building accurate and reliable theories and models. By using logical reasoning and evidence-based lines, scientists can better understand and explain the natural world.