Are these semidirect products of groups isomorphic?

In summary: That's the whole point: ##G(1)## has ##18## elements and ##G(2)## has ##9## elements. How could they be isomorphic?Looking back at your first post, I'm quite surprised you could write the word "isomorphism" that many times and still conclude that they were isomorphic. The only way I can see where you went wrong is that you assumed that ##h(y)(x_1,x_2)=((x_1)^a,(x_2)^a)## for some ##a##, which is not true. For example, ##h_1(y)(x_1,1)=(x_1^{-1},1)##.
pondzo

Homework Statement

Write ##C_3\langle x|x^3=1\rangle## and ##C_2=\langle y|y^2=1\rangle##
Let ##h_1,h_2:C_2\rightarrow \text{ Aut}(C_3\times C_3)## be the following homomorphisms:
$$h_1(y)(x^a,x^b)=(x^{-a},x^{-b})~;~~~~~~h_2(y)(x^a,x^b)=(x^b,x^a)$$
Put ##G(1)=(C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_1}C_2 \text{ and } G(2)=(C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_2}C_2##

Is ##G(1)\cong G(2)##? If so write down an explicit isomorphism. If not, explain why not.

Homework Equations

I think the group operation for this semidirect products is:
$$\cdot ~:~(C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_i}C_2~~~~~~~i=\{1,2\}$$ $$ \text{ Where } ((x_1,x_2),y)\cdot ((x_1',x_2'),y')=((x_1,x_2)h(y)(x_1',x_2'),yy')$$ $$ \text{ for } ((x_1,x_2),y),((x_1',x_2'),y')\in (C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_i}C_2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I'm not too sure if I have the elements in each group in the correct form or if I defined the group operation correctly. Assuming I have done these two things correctly, I will continue with my attempt of a solution.

Write ##C_3\times C_3=\langle x_1,x_2|x_1^3=x_2^3=1, x_2x_1=x_1x_2\rangle##.
Let ##Y=((1,1),y)## and ##X=((x_1,x_2),1)##
I will now do the crucial calculation, ##YX##, in both G(1) and G(2):

Crucial calculation in ##G(1)##:
##YX=((1,1),y)\cdot((x_1,x_2),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x_1,x_2),y1)=(((x_1)^{-1},(x_2)^{-1}),y)=(((x_1)^2,(x_2)^2),y)=X^2Y##
Thus ##G(1)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=X^2Y\rangle\cong D_6 ## (Binary dihedral group of order 6)

Crucial calculation in ##G(2)##:
##YX=((1,1),y)\cdot((x_1,x_2),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x_1,x_2),y1)=((x_1,x_2),y)=XY##
Thus ##G(2)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=XY\rangle \cong C_3\times C_2##

So ##G(1)\ncong G(2)##.

I am not sure If my final conclusions about G(1) and G(2) are correct. I.e. I'm not sure if I can write ##G(1)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=X^2Y\rangle## and ##G(2)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=XY\rangle##

Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:

Homework Statement

Write ##C_3\langle x|x^3=1\rangle## and ##C_2=\langle y|y^2=1\rangle##
Let ##h_1,h_2:C_2\rightarrow \text{ Aut}(C_3\times C_3)## be the following homomorphisms:
$$h_1(y)(x^a,x^b)=(x^{-a},x^{-b})~;~~~~~~h_2(y)(x^a,x^b)=(x^b,x^a)$$
Put ##G(1)=(C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_1}C_2 \text{ and } G(2)=(C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_2}C_2##

Is ##G(1)\cong G(2)##? If so write down an explicit isomorphism. If not, explain why not.

Homework Equations

I think the group operation for this semidirect products is:
$$\cdot ~:~(C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_i}C_2~~~~~~~i=\{1,2\}$$ $$ \text{ Where } ((x_1,x_2),y)\cdot ((x_1',x_2'),y')=((x_1,x_2)h(y)(x_1',x_2'),yy')$$ $$ \text{ for } ((x_1,x_2),y),((x_1',x_2'),y')\in (C_3\times C_3)\rtimes_{h_i}C_2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I'm not too sure if I have the elements in each group in the correct form or if I defined the group operation correctly. Assuming I have done these two things correctly, I will continue with my attempt of a solution.

Write ##C_3\times C_3=\langle x_1,x_2|x_1^3=x_2^3=1, x_2x_1=x_1x_2\rangle##.
Let ##Y=((1,1),y)## and ##X=((x_1,x_2),1)##
I will now do the crucial calculation, ##YX##, in both G(1) and G(2):

Crucial calculation in ##G(1)##:
##YX=((1,1),y)\cdot((x_1,x_2),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x_1,x_2),y1)=(((x_1)^{-1},(x_2)^{-1}),y)=(((x_1)^2,(x_2)^2),y)=X^2Y##
Thus ##G(1)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=X^2Y\rangle\cong D_6 ## (Binary dihedral group of order 6)

Crucial calculation in ##G(2)##:
##YX=((1,1),y)\cdot((x_1,x_2),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x_1,x_2),y1)=((x_1,x_2),y)=XY##
Thus ##G(2)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=XY\rangle \cong C_3\times C_2##

So ##G(1)\ncong G(2)##.

I am not sure If my final conclusions about G(1) and G(2) are correct. I.e. I'm not sure if I can write ##G(1)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=X^2Y\rangle## and ##G(2)=\langle X,Y|X^3=Y^2=1,YX=XY\rangle##

I've checked everything and it is correct. G(1) and G(2) are correctly represented and identified.
(At least I've found nothing wrong and I even checked whether the normal subgroup is on the correct side of ##\rtimes##.)

Aren't ##G(1)## and ##G(2)## supposed to have ##18## elements? Why do you suddenly conclude they have ##6## elements?

micromass said:
Aren't ##G(1)## and ##G(2)## supposed to have ##18## elements? Why do you suddenly conclude they have ##6## elements?

Upon further consideration I agree with you. I think my conclusions had something to do with how I represented the generators of the ##(C_3\times C_3)## part of the semidirect product. Would it be correct to denote ##X_1=((x,1),1)## and ##X_2=((1,x),1)## and then do the crucial calculations ##YX_1## and ##YX_2## in both G(1) and G(2)?

So, the crucial calculations in G(1) would be:
##YX_1=((1,1),y)\cdot((x,1),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x,1),y1)=((x^{-1},1),y)=((x^2,1),y)=X_1^2Y##
##YX_2=((1,1),y)\cdot((1,x),1)=((1,1)h(y)(1,x),y1)=((1,x^{-1}),y)=((1,x^2),y)=X_2^2Y##
Thus ##G(1)\cong \langle X_1,X_2,Y|X_1^3=X_2^3=Y^2=1,YX_1=X_1^2Y,YX_2=X_2^2Y,X_2X_1=X_1X_2 \rangle\cong ??## (Is there a name for this?)

And the crucial calculations in G(2) would be:
##YX_1=((1,1),y)\cdot((x,1),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x,1),y1)=((x,1),y)=X_1Y##
##YX_2=((1,1),y)\cdot((1,x),1)=((1,1)h(y)(1,x),y1)=((1,x),y)=X_2Y##
Thus ##G(1)\cong \langle X_1,X_2,Y|X_1^3=X_2^3=Y^2=1,YX_1=X_1Y,YX_2=X_2Y,X_2X_1=X_1X_2 \rangle\cong C_3\times C_3 \times C_2##

And so ##G(1)\ncong G(2)## since one of these groups is abelian and the other isn't.

pondzo said:
Upon further consideration I agree with you. I think my conclusions had something to do with how I represented the generators of the ##(C_3\times C_3)## part of the semidirect product. Would it be correct to denote ##X_1=((x,1),1)## and ##X_2=((1,x),1)## and then do the crucial calculations ##YX_1## and ##YX_2## in both G(1) and G(2)?

So, the crucial calculations in G(1) would be:
##YX_1=((1,1),y)\cdot((x,1),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x,1),y1)=((x^{-1},1),y)=((x^2,1),y)=X_1^2Y##
##YX_2=((1,1),y)\cdot((1,x),1)=((1,1)h(y)(1,x),y1)=((1,x^{-1}),y)=((1,x^2),y)=X_2^2Y##
Thus ##G(1)\cong \langle X_1,X_2,Y|X_1^3=X_2^3=Y^2=1,YX_1=X_1^2Y,YX_2=X_2^2Y,X_2X_1=X_1X_2 \rangle\cong ??## (Is there a name for this?)
No. It's simply the direct product of the symmetric group ##S_3 ≅ D_3## with ##C_3##. (You denoted ##D_3## as ##D_6##.)

And the crucial calculations in G(2) would be:
##YX_1=((1,1),y)\cdot((x,1),1)=((1,1)h(y)(x,1),y1)=((x,1),y)=X_1Y##
##YX_2=((1,1),y)\cdot((1,x),1)=((1,1)h(y)(1,x),y1)=((1,x),y)=X_2Y##
Thus ##G(1)\cong \langle X_1,X_2,Y|X_1^3=X_2^3=Y^2=1,YX_1=X_1Y,YX_2=X_2Y,X_2X_1=X_1X_2 \rangle\cong C_3\times C_3 \times C_2##

And so ##G(1)\ncong G(2)## since one of these groups is abelian and the other isn't.
I would have concluded with the normal subgroups ##<YX>## you defined in the first place.
If ##G(1)## and ##G(2)## were isomorphic, you could consider the quotient groups and the fact there is only one group of order three.

Last edited:

Related to Are these semidirect products of groups isomorphic?

1. What is a semidirect product of groups?

A semidirect product of groups is a mathematical concept in group theory that combines two groups in a specific way. It is denoted by G = H ⋊ K, where H and K are groups and ⋊ denotes the semidirect product. This operation is used to create new groups from existing ones.

2. How do you determine if two semidirect products of groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two semidirect products of groups are isomorphic, you need to check if they have the same underlying set, the same group operation, and the same group structure. This can be done by comparing their group tables or by finding a bijective homomorphism between the two groups.

3. What are the properties of isomorphic semidirect products of groups?

Isomorphic semidirect products of groups have the same group structure, meaning that they have the same subgroup and normal subgroup. Additionally, they have the same group order, meaning that they have the same number of elements.

4. Can a semidirect product of groups be isomorphic to one of its subgroups?

Yes, a semidirect product of groups can be isomorphic to one of its subgroups. This is because the subgroup and the semidirect product may have the same group structure and order, satisfying the conditions for isomorphism.

5. How are semidirect products of groups used in mathematics and science?

Semidirect products of groups have many applications in mathematics and science. They can be used to create new groups with desired characteristics, to study symmetry and group actions, and to solve problems in number theory, cryptography, and physics. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as topology and algebraic geometry.