Vacuum an aluminum tank as a function of volume of change

In summary, when an aluminum fuel tank is half-filled with diesel and its vent is plugged, the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the tank can cause it to implode. To calculate the required pressure for this to happen, you need to determine the vapor pressure of the diesel fuel inside the tank and use Boyle's Law to calculate the pressure differential. Other factors such as the tank's material and shape should also be taken into account.
abe_cooldude
Hi all,

I am working on thermodynamics problems, and can't even seem to figure out how to start it.
I came across a scenario in which an 100gallon aluminum horizontal half-filled diesel fuel tank imploded because the vent was plugged. I know the basic concept behind the happening, i.e. pressure differential exerted a force on the tank causing it to crush. Since the vent was plugged, I am assuming it created vacuum in the tank, so the maximum pressure on the outside of the tank would have been 14.7psi. Am I right?

Now I am trying to do some detailed calculations to see how much pressure would be required to implode the tank sitting outside in ambient conditions if the vent was plugged and the volume of diesel inside the tank was decreasing. So pressure as a function of volume change of diesel inside the tank. I am getting confused because I would have to take into account diesel vapor pressure inside the tank, temperature change, etc, and since it won't be an ideal gas situation, I can't use pV=nRT.

Can anyone get me started?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!</code>First of all, you need to determine the vapor pressure of diesel fuel inside the tank. This will depend on the temperature inside the tank and the composition of the fuel. Once you have that information, you can calculate the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the tank. This pressure differential is a function of the volume of the diesel fuel inside the tank.Assuming that the tank is in a static condition (i.e. no flow or movement of the diesel fuel inside the tank), then the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the tank can be calculated using Boyle's Law: P1V1 = P2V2 Where P1 is the pressure inside the tank, V1 is the volume of the diesel fuel inside the tank, P2 is the atmospheric pressure outside the tank (14.7psi) and V2 is the total volume of the tank (100 gallons). Once you have calculated the pressure differential, you can use this value to determine the maximum pressure that would be required to implode the tank. This will depend on the strength of the tank material, as well as other factors such as the shape of the tank and the amount of air trapped inside the tank. I hope this helps to get you started. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Vacuum an aluminum tank as a function of volume of change

1. How does the volume of change affect the vacuum level of an aluminum tank?

As the volume of the tank increases, the vacuum level decreases. This is because the same amount of air molecules are spread out over a larger volume, resulting in a lower density and therefore a lower vacuum level.

2. What is the relationship between vacuum level and pressure in an aluminum tank?

The vacuum level and pressure are inversely proportional in an aluminum tank. As the vacuum level increases, the pressure decreases. This is because as the vacuum level decreases, the number of air molecules in the tank increases, leading to a higher pressure.

3. How does the material of the tank affect the vacuum level as the volume changes?

The material of the tank does not significantly affect the relationship between vacuum level and volume change. As long as the tank is airtight, the vacuum level will decrease as the volume increases.

4. Can the vacuum level of an aluminum tank be maintained as the volume changes?

It is possible to maintain a vacuum level in an aluminum tank as the volume changes, but it requires a constant source of vacuum pressure. This can be achieved through a vacuum pump or by continuously removing air molecules from the tank.

5. What factors can affect the vacuum level of an aluminum tank?

The vacuum level of an aluminum tank can be affected by factors such as temperature, air leaks, and the presence of other gases. Changes in temperature can cause fluctuations in air pressure, while air leaks and the presence of other gases can decrease the vacuum level by introducing more air molecules into the tank.