Using Stokes' Theorem for Hemispherical Surface Area Calculation

In summary, Homework Equations can be integrated to find the circle of radius a in the xy-plane. The circle is written in terms of the parameter \theta and the dot product of F(r) and r'(t). If t is between 0 and 2pi, then the result is negative.
sci-doo

Homework Statement

Calculate
[tex]\int \int _{S}\nabla \times \overline{F} \cdot \hat{N}dS[/tex]

where [tex]\overline{F} = 3y\hat{i} - 2xz\hat{j} + (x^{2}-y^{2})\hat{k}[/tex] and S is a
hemispherical surface x2 + y2 + z2 = a2, z ≥ 0 and [tex]\hat{N}[/tex] is a normal of the surface outwards. Can you use Stokes' theorem?

Homework Equations

I think I can use Stokes' theorem

[tex]\int \int _{S}\nabla \times \overline{F} \cdot \hat{N}dS = \oint_{C} \overline{F} \cdot d\overline{r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \oint_{C} \overline{F} \cdot d\overline{r} = \oint_{C} 3y\hat{i} - 2xz\hat{j} + (x^{2}-y^{2})\hat{k} \cdot (dx\hat{i} + dy\hat{j} + dz\hat{k}) [/tex]
[tex] = \oint_{C} (3y dx - 2xz dy + (x^{2}-y^{2})dz) [/tex]

I don't know how to continue!

I should probably integrate closed line C that is the perimeter curve of the surface (circle radius a), but I have no further idea how to do that. I'm new to this subject and I simply don't understand what I could do/write .. :cry:

Help is highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Odd, most people learn how to integrate on curves before getting to Stokes' theorem.

The circle of radius a, in the xy-plane can be written in terms of the parameter [itex]\theta[/itex] as
[itex]x= a cos(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]y= a sin(\theta)[/itex]
z= 0.

[tex]dx= -a sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
[tex]dy= a cos(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
dz= 0

HallsofIvy said:
Odd, most people learn how to integrate on curves before getting to Stokes' theorem.
:smile:
HallsofIvy said:
The circle of radius a, in the xy-plane can be written in terms of the parameter [itex]\theta[/itex] as
[itex]x= a cos(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]y= a sin(\theta)[/itex]
z= 0.

[tex]dx= -a sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
[tex]dy= a cos(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
dz= 0

Ok, I got a solution -3a2pi

What I did I made
[tex]\overline{r}(t) = a cos t + a sin t [/tex] where [tex]0 \leq t \leq 2 \pi[/tex]

and then dot product of F(r) and r'(t)

I integrated that from 0 to 2pi with respect to t.

Can I somehow expect a negative result?

Related to Using Stokes' Theorem for Hemispherical Surface Area Calculation

What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of the surface.

What is the significance of Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem allows us to relate a difficult surface integral to an easier line integral, making it a powerful tool in solving problems involving vector fields and their flows.

What are the prerequisites for using Stokes' theorem?

To use Stokes' theorem, one must have a strong understanding of vector calculus, including the concepts of vector fields, surface and line integrals, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operations.

When is it appropriate to use Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is appropriate to use when the surface integral over a closed surface can be difficult to evaluate, but the line integral around the boundary of the surface is easier to calculate.

What are some common applications of Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in the study of differential geometry and topology.