Using sigma sums to estimate the area under a curve

In summary, the problem involves estimating the area under the curve f(x)=x2+1 on the interval [0,2] using 16 partitions. The correct answer is (14/3), but the student's attempt at a solution yields 18.92188. The student is advised to review basic algebra principles and take care to use parentheses and avoid mixing concepts in the same step. They are also reminded to check if their expression for the area is reasonable by taking the limit as n→∞.
kald13

Homework Statement

My apologies in advance for the messiness of the equations; the computers available to us do not correctly process the LaTex code.

I am tasked with estimating the area under the curve f(x)=x2+1 on the interval [0,2] using 16 partitions. Online calculators and my graphing calculator return a result of (14/3) but when I try to do the math by hand, I end up with 18.92188, and I can not find my error.

Homework Equations

[nƩ(i=1)] i2 = (n(n+1)(2n+1))/6
[nƩ(i=1)] f(x) = (n)Ʃ(i=1) f(xi)(Δx)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the given information:
Δx = (2-0)/n = 2/n
xi = 0 + (Δx)*i = 2i/n

[nƩ(i=1)] x2 + 1
[nƩ(i=1)] ((2i/n)2+1)*(2/n)

Moving constants to the left yields:

(2/n) [nƩ(i=1)] (22/n2)i2 + [nƩ(i=1)] 1
(2/n)(22/n2) [nƩ(i=1)] i2 + n

Converting the Ʃ equation to purely terms of n:

((8/n3)*(n(n+1)(2n+1))/6) + n
((8/n3)*((2n3+3n2+n)/6) + n
((16n3+24n2+8n)/6n3) + (6n4/6n3)

Add and factor out a 2n:

(3n3+8n2+12n+4)/(3n2)

Referring to the problem's instructions to use 16 partitions, I substitute 16 for n and I get 18.92188. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have multiple mistakes that fall under the banner of basic algebra. It's fairly common in my experience for calculus students to do just fine on the calculus part of the problem, but mess up the "easy" stuff, so you're not alone. I would advise that you work through it again, but maybe take a little more care to make good use of parentheses. Maybe take a few more steps to get the job done and try to identify the principle that applies to each step. Also, you might find that you make fewer mistakes if you don't try to mix concepts into the same step; i.e. don't use properties of/formulas related to sigma notation (new math to you) while trying to factor, distribute, etc. (old math); until you are more comfortable with the new stuff.

Presumably you know that as n→∞, the expression for the area that you get in terms of n should get closer to the actual area under the curve (since this function is positive on [0,2]). This gives you a way to check if your expression is reasonable; does the limit exist? is it a reasonable number?

Related to Using sigma sums to estimate the area under a curve

1. What is a sigma sum?

A sigma sum is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is written as ∑(n=1 to k) where n is the index or variable, k is the upper limit of the sum, and the expression following the sigma symbol tells us what numbers to add together.

2. How do you use a sigma sum to estimate the area under a curve?

To estimate the area under a curve using a sigma sum, you first divide the interval of interest into smaller subintervals. Then, you use the sigma notation to represent the sum of the areas of all the rectangular strips formed by these subintervals. As the number of subintervals increases, the accuracy of the estimate also increases.

3. What is the relationship between a sigma sum and a Riemann sum?

A sigma sum is a type of Riemann sum, which is a method for approximating the area under a curve using rectangles. The sigma notation is a concise way of representing the terms of the Riemann sum. Both methods involve dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and taking the sum of the areas of the rectangles formed by these subintervals.

4. Can sigma sums be used to estimate the area under any curve?

Yes, sigma sums can be used to estimate the area under any curve as long as the curve can be represented by a function and the interval of interest can be divided into smaller subintervals. However, the accuracy of the estimate may vary depending on the complexity of the curve and the number of subintervals used.

5. Are there any limitations to using sigma sums for estimating the area under a curve?

One limitation of using sigma sums is that they can only provide an estimate of the area under a curve, not the exact value. Additionally, the accuracy of the estimate is dependent on the number of subintervals used, so if too few subintervals are used, the estimate may not be very accurate. Finally, sigma sums may not be suitable for estimating the area under curves with discontinuities or sharp turns.