Integral of a area under a straight line as summation

In summary: S_n=\frac{b^2}{2n^2}(1+3+5+...+2n-1)$$In summary, the homework equations state that:-1+2+3+...+n=n(n+1)-1^2+2^2+3^2+...+n^2=n(n+1)(2n+1)-\Delta x=\frac{b}{n}-S_n=f\left( \frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x+f\left( \Delta x+\frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap2.jpg

Homework Equations

Summs:
$$1+2+3+...+n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}$$
$$1^2+2^2+3^2+...+n^2=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\Delta x=\frac{b}{n}$$
$$S_n=f\left( \frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x+f\left( \Delta x+\frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x+...+f\left( (n-1)\Delta x+\frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x$$
$$S_n=\left( \frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}+\left( \frac{b}{n}+\frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}+\left( 2\frac{b}{n}+\frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}+...+\left( (n-1)\frac{b}{n}+\frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}$$
$$S_n=\frac{b^2}{2n^2}(1+3+5+...+2n-1)$$
But i was taught, in that chapter, only the two sums from the Relevant Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint to get you a better start. Let ##\Delta x_k = x_k - x_{k-1}## and ##c_k = \frac{x_k+x_{k-1}}{2}## with ##x_0=0,~x_n = b##. Then$$
S_n = \sum_{k=1}^n f(c_k)\Delta x_k =\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{(x_k+x_{k-1})}{2}(x_k - x_{k-1})$$Try simplifying that product in the sum and write out a few terms to see what happens. I don't think you will need any of your fancy sum formulas.

And if you want to continue with your attempt as well, consider the sum ##1+2+\cdots+(2n-1)+2n## and split it up into a sum of the even and odd terms.

LCKurtz said:
$$S_n = \sum_{k=1}^n f(c_k)\Delta x_k =\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{(x_k+x_{k-1})}{2}(x_k - x_{k-1})$$
$$S_n=\frac{x_1+x_0}{2}(x_1-x_0)+\frac{x_2+x_1}{2}(x_2-x_1)+\frac{x_3+x_2}{2}(x_3-x_2)+...+\frac{x_n+x_{n-1}}(x_n-x_{n-1})=...=\frac{1}{2}x_n^2$$

Karol said:
$$S_n=\frac{x_1+x_0}{2}(x_1-x_0)+\frac{x_2+x_1}{2}(x_2-x_1)+\frac{x_3+x_2}{2}(x_3-x_2)+...+\frac{x_n+x_{n-1}} 2 (x_n-x_{n-1})=...=\frac{1}{2}x_n^2$$
Do you see why it equals ##\frac{1}{2}x_n^2##? Did you multiply out the products in the sum as I suggested in post #2? Do you understand how to get the answer, or are you just copying stuff?

I know how to get to the answer, i just shortened. but i don't understand the other method suggested:
vela said:
And if you want to continue with your attempt as well, consider the sum ##1+2+\cdots+(2n-1)+2n## and split it up into a sum of the even and odd terms.
I calculated that ##~1+3+5+...+n=n^2##, but not as a split sum of even and odd numbers.

Related to Integral of a area under a straight line as summation

What is the concept behind finding the integral of a area under a straight line as summation?

The integral of a area under a straight line as summation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the total area underneath a given straight line by breaking it into smaller, simpler shapes and adding up their individual areas. This allows for the calculation of the exact area under the curve, rather than just an approximation.

Why is finding the integral of a area under a straight line important?

The integral of a area under a straight line is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in calculating distance, displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics. It is also used in economics, engineering, and other scientific fields to determine the total value or quantity of a variable over a given range.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it is calculated within a defined range or interval. An indefinite integral, on the other hand, has no limits of integration and represents a general solution to the integral equation.

What are the key steps to finding the integral of a area under a straight line as summation?

The key steps to finding the integral of a area under a straight line as summation include breaking the curve into smaller shapes, determining their individual areas using geometric formulas, and then adding them together to get the total area. This process can be simplified using calculus techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution.

Are there any limitations to using the integral of a area under a straight line as summation?

While the integral of a area under a straight line as summation is a powerful tool for solving a variety of problems, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to continuous functions, meaning there cannot be any gaps or breaks in the curve. Additionally, it may not be applicable to complex or non-linear functions, and can only provide an exact solution if the curve is integrable.