Using Mean Value Theorem to Prove a Summation Equation?

In summary: Additionally, it seems like the problem is a lot easier if we just choose c_j = x_j, which would make the terms in the sum cancel out nicely.In summary, The Mean Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on an interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b), then there exists a point c in (a,b) such that the slope of the tangent line at c is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval [a,b]. In this problem, we can use the Mean Value Theorem to show that the sum of the squares of the function evaluated at certain points in the interval is equal to the average rate of change of the function over
Yagoda

Homework Statement

Use the mean value theorem to show that [itex] \frac{b^3-a^3}{b-a} = \sum_{j=1}^{n}d_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1}) \text{where} x_{j-1} < d_j < x_j .[/itex]

Homework Equations

The mean value theorem states that if f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b) then there exists a c in (a,b) such that [itex]f(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm approaching this wrong, but I am trying to think of [itex] \sum_{j=1}^{n}d_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1})[/itex] as the derivative of a function [itex] \sum_{j=1}^{n}\frac{d_j^3}{3} (x_j - x_{j-1})[/itex]. This way [itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex] resembles [itex] \frac{b^3-a^3}{b-a}[/itex], but then it's unclear where the function is being evaluated at since you have several different d's. It seems clear that the d's are analogous to c in the MVT, but maybe I'm confused because there is a single c in the MVT and several d's.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it say anything about what the xjs are?

The xj's are a partition of the interval [a,b]. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Yagoda said:

Homework Statement

Use the mean value theorem to show that [itex] \frac{b^3-a^3}{b-a} = \sum_{j=1}^{n}d_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1}) \text{where} x_{j-1} < d_j < x_j .[/itex]

I think you mean
[tex]
\frac{b^3-a^3}{3} = \sum_{j=1}^{n}d_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1})
[/tex]
(The question wants you to find a telescoping Riemann sum for [itex]\int_a^b x^2\,dx[/itex]).

Homework Equations

The mean value theorem states that if f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b) then there exists a c in (a,b) such that [itex]f(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} [/itex].

No, it states that under those conditions there exists [itex]c \in (a,b)[/itex] such that
[tex]
f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm approaching this wrong, but I am trying to think of [itex] \sum_{j=1}^{n}d_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1})[/itex] as the derivative of a function [itex] \sum_{j=1}^{n}\frac{d_j^3}{3} (x_j - x_{j-1})[/itex]. This way [itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex] resembles [itex] \frac{b^3-a^3}{b-a}[/itex], but then it's unclear where the function is being evaluated at since you have several different d's. It seems clear that the d's are analogous to c in the MVT, but maybe I'm confused because there is a single c in the MVT and several d's.

You need to apply the MVT to [itex]f(x) = x^3[/itex] on the subinterval [itex][x_{j-1}, x_j][/itex].

Sorry for the typos. I see how to use the MVT now. Not sure if I should post this is a new thread, but I'm now trying to use this result to prove that integral of f(x)=x^2 on [a,b] both exists and equals [itex]\frac{b^3-a^3}{3}[/itex].

I know that for a quadratic, the point that satisfies the MVT is the midpoint of the interval, [itex]\hat{c_i} = \frac{x_j + x_{j-1}}{2}[/itex]. So to generalize for any point c in any partition we know that any point in [itex][x_{j-1}, x_j ][/itex] is at most [itex] \frac{||P||}{2} [/itex] units away from [itex]\hat{c_i}[/itex], where ||P|| is the norm of the partition. Call the actual distance from the midpoint [itex] \partial_j [/itex].

So I want to show that [itex]\left| \sum_{j=1}^{n} \left(\frac{x_j + x_{j-1}}{2} + \partial_j\right)^3 (x_j - x_{j-1}) - \frac{b^3-a^3}{3} \right| < \epsilon[/itex] when [itex] ||P||< \delta[/itex]. I was hoping to bound the d's by ||P||/2 and use that to find a delta, but this sum turns out very messy and the terms don't cancel nicely like I'd hoped. Is this the right approach?

Yagoda said:
Sorry for the typos. I see how to use the MVT now. Not sure if I should post this is a new thread, but I'm now trying to use this result to prove that integral of f(x)=x^2 on [a,b] both exists and equals [itex]\frac{b^3-a^3}{3}[/itex].

I know that for a quadratic, the point that satisfies the MVT is the midpoint of the interval, [itex]\hat{c_i} = \frac{x_j + x_{j-1}}{2}[/itex]. So to generalize for any point c in any partition we know that any point in [itex][x_{j-1}, x_j ][/itex] is at most [itex] \frac{||P||}{2} [/itex] units away from [itex]\hat{c_i}[/itex], where ||P|| is the norm of the partition. Call the actual distance from the midpoint [itex] \partial_j [/itex].

So I want to show that [itex]\left| \sum_{j=1}^{n} \left(\frac{x_j + x_{j-1}}{2} + \partial_j\right)^3 (x_j - x_{j-1}) - \frac{b^3-a^3}{3} \right| < \epsilon[/itex] when [itex] ||P||< \delta[/itex]. I was hoping to bound the d's by ||P||/2 and use that to find a delta, but this sum turns out very messy and the terms don't cancel nicely like I'd hoped. Is this the right approach?

That is not the right approach.

It is enough if you can find a Riemann sum whose value is independent of the norm of the partition. Then the function is integrable and its integral is the value of that sum. The MVT allows you to do that.

Thus, by the MVT applied to [itex]x^3[/itex] on [itex][x_{j-1},x_j][/itex] there exists [itex]z_j \in [x_{j-1},x_j][/itex] such that
[tex]3z_j^2 = \frac{x_j^3 - x_{j-1}^3}{x_j - x_{j-1}}.[/tex]
Hence, after multiplying by [itex](x_j - x_{j-1})/3[/itex] and summing over j,
[tex]
\sum_{j=1}^n z_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1}) = \frac13 \sum_{j=1}^n (x_j^3 - x_{j-1}^3)
[/tex]
The sum on the right can now be evaluated.

The MVT only says that there exists a [itex]z_j[/itex] such that [itex]\sum_{j=1}^n z_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1}) = \frac13 \sum_{j=1}^n (x_j^3 - x_{j-1}^3)[/itex], but not that this is necessarily true of any point in the interval.

We were shown a similar example where [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] and we chose to evaluate the Riemann sum at the midpoint of the interval [itex]c_j = \frac{x_{j-1}+ x_j}{2}[/itex] so it turned out to be that [itex] \sigma = \frac12 \sum_{j=1}^n (x_{j-1}+ x_j) (x_j - x_{j-1}) = \frac12 (b-a)[/itex], which does not appear to depend on ||P||, but we were told then that we had to show that this answer was independent of the choice of [itex]c_j[/itex], which we did by bounding the distance of any point in the interval [itex](x_{j-1}, x_j)[/itex] from the midpoint by ||P||/2.

I am curious why this last step is not necessary with the [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] problem because it seems like using the MVT to find the sum at a certain point is similar to evaluating the sum at the midpoint.

Yagoda said:
The MVT only says that there exists a [itex]z_j[/itex] such that [itex]\sum_{j=1}^n z_j^2 (x_j - x_{j-1}) = \frac13 \sum_{j=1}^n (x_j^3 - x_{j-1}^3)[/itex], but not that this is necessarily true of any point in the interval.

We were shown a similar example where [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] and we chose to evaluate the Riemann sum at the midpoint of the interval [itex]c_j = \frac{x_{j-1}+ x_j}{2}[/itex] so it turned out to be that [itex] \sigma = \frac12 \sum_{j=1}^n (x_{j-1}+ x_j) (x_j - x_{j-1}) = \frac12 (b-a)[/itex], which does not appear to depend on ||P||, but we were told then that we had to show that this answer was independent of the choice of [itex]c_j[/itex], which we did by bounding the distance of any point in the interval [itex](x_{j-1}, x_j)[/itex] from the midpoint by ||P||/2.

I am curious why this last step is not necessary with the [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] problem because it seems like using the MVT to find the sum at a certain point is similar to evaluating the sum at the midpoint.

I appear to have been implicitly assuming that you have already proven that [itex]x^2[/itex] is integrable by some other means.

I think what you want to do to show that the sum is independent of the choice of point in each subinterval is to show that for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]\|P\| < \delta[/itex] then
[tex]
\left| \sum_{j} (z_j + \eta_j)^2(x_j - x_{j-1}) - \frac{b^3 - a^3}3 \right| < \epsilon
[/tex]
where [itex]|\eta_j| < \frac12(x_j - x_{j-1})[/itex] and [itex]z_j[/itex] is given by the MVT.

Likes 1 person

Related to Using Mean Value Theorem to Prove a Summation Equation?

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function on that interval.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a way to calculate the average rate of change of a function over an interval using only the endpoints of that interval. This is useful in many applications, such as in physics and economics, where finding the average rate of change is important.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real-world problems?

The Mean Value Theorem is commonly used in real-world problems to calculate average rates of change, estimate values of functions, and prove the existence of solutions to equations. It is also used to optimize functions and determine the behavior of functions near critical points.

What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

For the Mean Value Theorem to hold, the function must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the function must not have any vertical asymptotes or corners within the interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem related to Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem, where the average rate of change is equal to zero. In other words, the slope of the tangent line at the point of intersection is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints. This is useful in proving the existence of solutions to equations.