Calculus problem involving Mean-value Theorem and Riemann integrable functions

In summary, to prove the inequality, we can use the Mean-value Theorem to show that there exists a c in each interval [x_{j-1},x_j] such that f'(c_j) is equal to the average rate of change of f(x) in that interval. This means that f'(c_j) is always less than or equal to the infimum of f'(x) in the interval, which is represented by m_j. Therefore, we can rewrite the sum L(P,f') as the sum of f'(c_j) times the width of each interval, which is always less than or equal to the sum of m_j times the width of each interval.
CatWhisperer

Homework Statement

Let ##f:[a,b] \rightarrow R## be a differentiable function. Show that if ##P = \{ x_0 , x_1 , ... , x_n \}## is a partition of ##[a,b]## then $$L(P,f')=\sum_{j=1}^n m_j \Delta x_j \leq f(b) - f(a)$$ where ##m_j=inf \{ f'(t) : t \in [x_{j-1} , x_j ] \}## and ##\Delta x_j = x_j - x_{j-1}## for each ##1 \leq j \leq n##. Hint: Use the Mean-value Theorem.

Homework Equations

Mean-value Theorem:
If ##f## is continuous on ##[a,b]## and differentiable on ##(a,b)## then there exists a ##c \in (a,b)## such that $$f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

##f## is differentiable on ##[a,b]##, so it must also be continuous on ##[a,b]##, so by the mean value theorem there exists a ##c \in [a,b]## such that $$f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}$$ $$\sum_{j=1}^n \Delta x_j = b-a$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \sum_{j=1}^n m_j \Delta x_j = (b-a)\sum_{j=1}^n m_j \leq f(b) - f(a)$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \sum_{j=1}^n m_j \leq \frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b-a} = f'(c)$$ (where ##f'(c)## is described by the MVT)

which is about as far as I have gotten. I would really appreciate any assistance. I don't really know how I am supposed to bring MVT into this; how I have done so here doesn't really seem to help me.

Thanks very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It just occurred to me that I can't necessarily assume I can factor out ##(b-a)## unless I know that all ##\Delta x## are of equal width... which I do not. The only thing I can think to do in that case is: $$L(P,f') = \sum_{j=1}^n m_j \Delta x_j \leq f'(b) - f'(a)$$ but I am still stumped as to how I use MVT here, and how this relates to the original inequality.

Last edited:
Apply the mean value theorem not to [itex][a,b][/itex], but to each [itex][x_{j-1},x_j][/itex].

pasmith said:
Apply the mean value theorem not to [itex][a,b][/itex], but to each [itex][x_{j-1},x_j][/itex].

Following your suggestion, I have made a further attempt at solving the problem:

##f## is differentiable and continuous on ##[a,b]## so ##f## must also be differentiable and continuous on every ##\Delta x=[x_{j-1},x_j]##. Thus, there exists a ##c \in [x_{j-1},x_j]## such that $$f'(c)=\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{\Delta x_j}$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \Delta x_j=\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{f'(c)}$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \sum_{j=1}^n m_j\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{f'(c)}\leq f(b)-f(a)$$ Now, I am not sure about this next part.

We know that ##m_j=inf\{ f'(x):x\in [x_{j-1},x_j]\}##, so if we choose ##x=c## then we get ##m_j=inf\{ f'(c):c\in [x_{j-1},x_j]\}## which gives $$\sum_{j=1}^n [f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})]\leq f(b)-f(a)$$ but I don't really know if that's right, or how to explain if it is.

Is anyone able to give me further guidance here? Thanks in advance.

CatWhisperer said:
Following your suggestion, I have made a further attempt at solving the problem:

##f## is differentiable and continuous on ##[a,b]## so ##f## must also be differentiable and continuous on every ##\Delta x=[x_{j-1},x_j]##. Thus, there exists a ##c \in [x_{j-1},x_j]## such that $$f'(c)=\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{\Delta x_j}$$

You don't get the same ##c## on each interval. You could say there exists ##c_j \in [x_{j-1},x_j]## such that$$
f'(c_j)=\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{\Delta x_j}$$

The rest of your argument has gone off the tracks. The next thing you should write down is the sum you are trying to work with:$$
L(P,f') = \sum_{j=1}^n m_j\Delta x_j$$Now think about how ##f'(c_j)## compares with ##m_j##.

Okay so I think I understand this a lot better now. I drew a picture to understand all the parts of the problem and how they relate to one another and have attempted to write the proof, however I can't be sure if my explanations are adequate. Any feedback is much appreciated:

##f## is differentiable on ##[a,b]##, so ##f## is differentiable on each ##[x_{j-1},x_j]##, so ##f## is continuous on each ##[x_{j-1},x_j]##. Thus, by the Mean-value Theorem for differentiation, there exists a ##c\in [x_{j-1},x_j]## such that $$f'(c)=\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{\Delta x_j}$$ $$\Leftrightarrow f'(c)\Delta x_j=f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \sum_{j=1}^n f'(c)\Delta x_j=\sum_{j=1}^n f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})$$ for each ##c\in [x_{j-1},x_j]##.

As ##\Delta x_j\rightarrow 0##, ##m_j\rightarrow f'(c)##, thus $$\sum_{j=1}^n m_j\Delta x_j\leq \sum_{j=1}^n f'(c_j)\Delta x_j$$ (this part I am not sure if I need to include additional explanation. I proved it to myself visually but that wouldn't be an acceptable method for this type of problem).

As ##\Delta x_j\rightarrow 0## $$\sum_{j=1}^n f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})\rightarrow f(b)-f(a)$$ Thus, $$\sum_{j=1}^n f'(c_j)\Delta x_j\leq f(b)-f(a)$$ Therefore $$\sum_{j=1}^n m_j\Delta x_j\leq \sum_{j=1}^n f'(c_j)\Delta x_j\leq f(b)-f(a)$$ $$\Leftrightarrow L(P,f')=\sum_{j=1}^n m_j\Delta x_j\leq f(b)-f(a)$$

CatWhisperer said:
Okay so I think I understand this a lot better now.

I don't think so. It's still very confused. There is nothing in this problem about ##\Delta x_j\rightarrow 0##.

Here's what I suggested before:
You could say there exists ##c_j\in[x_{j−1},x_j]## such that
##f′(c_j)=\frac{f(x_j)−f(x_{j−1})}{Δx_j}##The next thing you should write down is the sum you are trying to work with:$$
L(P,f′)=\sum_{j=1}^n m_jΔx_j$$
Now think about how ##f′(c_j)## compares with ##m_j##. Try following that advice without quoting a bunch of extraneous stuff. It only takes about two steps.

Last edited:
Okay...

There exists a ##c_j\in [x_{j-1},x_j]## such that $$f'(c_j)=\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{\Delta x_j}$$ Now, $$L(P,f')=\sum_{j=1}^n m_j\Delta x_j$$ And $$m_j=inf\{ f'(c_j):c_j\in [x_{j-1},x_j]\}$$ $$\Leftrightarrow m_j=\frac{inf\{ f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})\} }{\Delta x_j}$$ $$\Leftrightarrow L(P,f')=\sum_{j=1}^n \frac{inf\{ f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})\} }{\Delta x_j}\Delta x_j=\sum_{j=1}^n inf\{ f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})\} $$ $$\Leftrightarrow L(P,f')=\sum_{j=1}^n m_j\Delta x_j\leq f(b)-f(a)$$

?

CatWhisperer said:
Okay...

There exists a ##c_j\in [x_{j-1},x_j]## such that $$f'(c_j)=\frac{f(x_j)-f(x_{j-1})}{\Delta x_j}$$ Now, $$L(P,f')=\sum_{j=1}^n m_j\Delta x_j$$ And $$m_j=inf\{ f'(c_j):c_j\in [x_{j-1},x_j]\}$$

##c_j## is given on each interval by the MVT. You have no choice about it and you can't vary it so that infimum makes no sense. Look again at your definition of ##m_j## in your original post. Like I asked before, how does ##m_j## compare with ##f'(c_j)## ?

Last edited:

Related to Calculus problem involving Mean-value Theorem and Riemann integrable functions

1. What is the Mean-value Theorem?

The Mean-value Theorem is a fundamental concept in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average slope of the function over that interval.

2. How is the Mean-value Theorem used in calculus problems?

The Mean-value Theorem is often used to prove the existence of a specific number within a given interval, such as a maximum or minimum value. It is also used to solve optimization problems and to prove other important theorems in calculus.

3. What are Riemann integrable functions?

Riemann integrable functions are functions that can be integrated using the Riemann integral, which is a method for finding the area under a curve. These functions must be bounded and have a finite number of discontinuities within a given interval.

4. How is the Mean-value Theorem related to Riemann integrable functions?

The Mean-value Theorem is closely related to Riemann integrable functions because it relies on the continuity and differentiability of a function, both of which are requirements for a function to be Riemann integrable.

5. Can the Mean-value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean-value Theorem can only be applied to continuous functions that are differentiable on the open interval. If a function is not continuous or differentiable, the Mean-value Theorem cannot be used.