Using Determinant Properties to Simplify a 3x3 Matrix

In summary, the problem is that the determinant is not invertible, so the cofactor expansion is not the same as the determinant expansion.
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Use the properties of the determinant of a matrix to show that[tex]\begin{vmatrix}1+x^2 & x & 1 \\ 1+y^2 & y & 1 \\ 1+z^2 & z & 1\end{vmatrix}=(x-y)(x-z)(y-z)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Properties of determinants. There's 10 of them, according to my notes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the property where the scalar multiple of -1 of the third column added to the first column gives:[tex]\begin{vmatrix}x^2 & x & 1 \\ y^2 & y & 1 \\ z^2 & z & 1\end{vmatrix}[/tex]
And then I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:

Homework Statement

Use the properties of the determinant of a matrix to show that[tex]\begin{vmatrix}1+x^2 & x & 1 \\ 1+y^2 & y & 1 \\ 1+z^2 & z & 1\end{vmatrix}=(x-y)(x-z)(y-z)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Properties of determinants. There's 10 of them, according to my notes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the property where the scalar multiple of -1 of the third column added to the first column gives:[tex]\begin{vmatrix}x^2 & x & 1 \\ y^2 & y & 1 \\ z^2 & z & 1\end{vmatrix}[/tex]
And then I'm stuck.
What do you get when you expand [itex](x-y)(x-z)(y-z)\ ?[/itex]

Hi SammyS
SammyS said:
What do you get when you expand [itex](x-y)(x-z)(y-z)\ ?[/itex]

The expansion gives: [tex]x^2y-xy^2-2xyz+y^2z-x^2z-xz^2-yz^2[/tex]But I'm not sure how to relate this to the determinant.

I grouped the squared terms, as it seemed to me that they formed the cofactor expansion by the first column of the determinant:
[tex]x^2(y-z) -y^2(x-z) -z^2 (x+y) -2xyz[/tex]But it's different, as the actual cofactor expansion is: [tex]x^2(y-z) -y^2(x-z) +z^2 (x-y)[/tex]

Last edited:
sharks said:
Hi SammyS

The expansion gives: [tex]x^2y-xy^2-2xyz+y^2z-x^2z-xz^2-yz^2[/tex]But I'm not sure how
to relate this to the determinant.
Not quite right.

There's a xyz and a -xyz which cancel .

You are correct. :redface: So, to write the solution, meaning how i got to the product of the 3 factors, i just trace back my steps from the factors' expansion.

Thanks, SammyS.

Related to Using Determinant Properties to Simplify a 3x3 Matrix

1. What are the properties of determinants?

Determinants have several important properties, including:

• Additive property: The determinant of a sum of two matrices is equal to the sum of their determinants.
  • Multiplicative property: The determinant of a product of two matrices is equal to the product of their determinants.
  • Scalar multiplication property: Multiplying a matrix by a scalar will result in the determinant being multiplied by that same scalar.
  • Transpose property: The determinant of a matrix is equal to the determinant of its transpose.
  • Identity matrix property: The determinant of an identity matrix is always equal to 1.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated by using a specific formula depending on the size of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the formula is ad - bc, where a, b, c, and d are the elements of the matrix. For larger matrices, the calculation becomes more complex and usually involves using row operations to simplify the matrix into triangular form.

3. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant plays a crucial role in linear algebra as it can provide important information about a matrix, such as whether it is invertible or not. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and in finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

4. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative if the number of row swaps required to simplify the matrix into triangular form is an odd number. This is because the determinant changes sign with each row swap.

5. Are there any real-world applications of determinants?

Yes, determinants have various real-world applications, including computer graphics, economics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve systems of equations, calculate areas and volumes, and determine whether a system is stable or unstable. They also play a significant role in solving optimization problems and in determining the flow of fluids and electrical circuits.