Checking if the following lines are coplanar

• Thread starter Kernul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary: It was crucial.In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an orthonormal reference system in Euclidean space and finding the mutual position of three lines in this space. The lines are given in parametric form and are then converted to Cartesian form. The directional vectors and points for each line are found, and then a determinant is used to determine the mutual position of each possible couple of lines. The correct calculations show that two of the couples are non-coplanar, while one couple is parallel and another is intersecting.
Kernul

Homework Statement

Set an orthonormal reference system in the euclidean space ##E^3## and consider the following lines:
$$r: \begin{cases}
x = 3 \tau \\
y = 1 + \tau \\
z = 3 - 2 \tau
\end{cases}s: \begin{cases}
x + z - 4 = 0 \\
x - 3y + z + 2 = 0
\end{cases}t: \begin{cases}
4x - 2y + 5z - 3 = 0 \\
2y + z + 1 = 0 .
\end{cases}$$
Find the mutual position of each possible couple of lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the mutual positions of the three couple of lines(##r## and ##s##, ##s## and ##t##, and ##r## and ##t##) but I'm not sure about it so here it's how I proceeded:

Before starting, I transformed $r$ from the parametric form into the Cartesian form, so:

$$r: \begin{cases}
x - 3y + 3 = 0 \\
2y + z - 5 = 0 .
\end{cases}$$

Now, to know if the lines are parallel, orthogonal, etc, I first find out about the directional vector of each line by finding the determinant of the matrices made of the components of the lines:
##\begin{vmatrix}
\hat i & \hat j & \hat k \\
1 & -3 & 0 \\
0 & -2 & 1
\end{vmatrix} = (-3, -1, -2)

\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 1 \\
1 & -3 & 1
\end{vmatrix} = (3, 0, -3)

\begin{vmatrix}
4 & -2 & 5 \\
0 & 2 & 1
\end{vmatrix} = (-12, -4, 8)##

Then I find a point for each line:
##P_r (0, 1, 3), P_s (2, 2, 2), P_t (-1, -1, 1)##

After that I do the determinant with the first row as the difference between the two points of the two lines, and on the second and third raw I put the directional vectors of the two lines.
For ##r## and ##s##:
##\begin{vmatrix}
0-2 & 1-2 & 3-2 \\
-3 & -1 & -2 \\
3 & 0 & -3
\end{vmatrix} = 12##
Non-coplanar.

##\begin{vmatrix}
2-(-1) & 2-(-1) & 2-1 \\
3 & 0 & -3 \\
-12 & -4 & 8 \\
\end{vmatrix} = -10##
Non-coplanar.

##\begin{vmatrix}
0-(-1) & 1-(-1) & 3-1 \\
-3 & -1 & -2 \\
-12 & -4 & 8 \\
\end{vmatrix} = 80##
Non-coplanar.

The thing is that all three of them are askew (non-coplanar). Could someone check it out and tell me if they are really all non-coplanar or maybe I did it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, finding the directional vector of the first line ##r##, in the determinant the third line is ## 0 \ \ 2 \ \ 1## and not ##0 \ \ -2 \ \ 1##, this can change something later ... the procedure seems reasonable ...

Ssnow

Likes Kernul
Wow... that sign changed everything...
##r## and ##s## are intersecting lines.
##s## and ##t## are still non-coplanar. (because the directional vector wasn't needed here)
##r## and ##t## are parallel.
Thank you very much for noticing that mistake.

Related to Checking if the following lines are coplanar

1. How do you determine if three lines are coplanar?

To determine if three lines are coplanar, you can use the following methods:

• Check if the lines lie in the same plane by visualizing them.
  • Calculate the slopes of the lines and see if they are parallel.
  • Find the point of intersection between each pair of lines and see if they all lie on the same plane.

2. What does it mean for lines to be coplanar?

Lines are coplanar if they all lie on the same plane. This means that they do not intersect and can be visualized as lying on top of each other on a flat surface.

3. Can more than three lines be coplanar?

Yes, any number of lines can be coplanar as long as they all lie on the same plane. For example, four lines can be coplanar if they form the edges of a rectangle lying on a flat surface.

4. What are some real-life applications of determining if lines are coplanar?

Determining if lines are coplanar has many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, in architecture, it is important to ensure that all the beams and support structures in a building are coplanar to ensure stability and structural integrity.

5. Can lines that are not coplanar ever intersect?

No, lines that are not coplanar can never intersect. This is because they lie on different planes and therefore do not share any common points. If two lines intersect, it means they lie on the same plane and are coplanar.