Using Continuity to evaluate limit of a trig function

In summary, we found that the limit is equal to the cosine of the pi-th power of the limit, or -sin(3.14*pi+sin(3.14*pi)(1+cos(3.14*pi)))
riri
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could expand upon and help me with this as I'm struggling
"Use continuity to evalute \(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi}}\cos(x+\sin(x))\)"

I do remember faintly how to do limits of "normal" numbers, but with trig I did not learn at all so I'm confused. This is same as finding the derivative right? But I need to show it in limit form so
\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi}}\cos(\pi+\sin(\pi)\)?

or Expand it first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We are given to find:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{x\to\pi}\left(\cos\left(x+\sin(x)\right)\right)\)

Given a continuous function $f:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$, we have:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a} f(x)=f(\lim_{x\to a} x)\)

We can justify the claim that $f$ is continuous if we can show that $f$ is differentiable at every point in $\mathbb{R}$.

After having done so, can you now rewrite the given limit?

By the way, this is a calculus problem, so I am going to move it to our Calculus forum.

Thank you :)

So... \(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi}}f(x)? = \cos(\lim_{x\to\pi}x+\sin(x)\) ?

\(\displaystyle x(\lim_{{x}\to{a}}\cos+\sin)\)? :confused:

I edited my post to include how we can justify the claim that the function is continuous. We should address that first.

Also, to get your $\LaTeX$ to display properly, you need to wrap your code in [MATH][/MATH] tags.

Hmm.. so prove that it's differentiable :confused:
So would I draw it or something the graph of cos and x?
Or
I think I'm just getting carried away on random ideas
cosx+cossinx?
I wouldn't use the product rule here because I need to use limits, right?
lim(cosx)+limx+sinx

We have:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\cos\left(x+\sin(x)\right)\)

So, to find $f^{\prime}(x)$, we need to begin with the rule for differentiating the cosine function and the chain rule:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\cos(u(x)))=-\sin(u(x))\frac{du}{dx}\)

What do you find?

Oh! The chain rule needs to be used here? We didn't learn the chain rule yet:( unless it's f(ax))'=af'(ax), is this right?
So -sinx(x+sinx)x(1+cosx)

? I just watched a quick video which said chain rule as outside derivative x inside derivative and this is what I got :confused:

riri said:
Oh! The chain rule needs to be used here? We didn't learn the chain rule yet:( unless it's f(ax))'=af'(ax), is this right?
So -sinx(x+sinx)x(1+cosx)

? I just watched a quick video which said chain rule as outside derivative x inside derivative and this is what I got :confused:

You are almost correct...you have an extra x there, it would be:

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(x)=-\sin(x+\sin(x))(1+\cos(x))\)

Is this defined for all real $x$?

I'm assuming...yes?
Wait... except 0?

Is this chain rule method you showed me how you evaluate using continuity to evaluate this kind of limit? :)

So here's where I have another question. So I'm not done yet I need to use the limit x-->\pi
so it becomes -sin(pi+sin(pi)(1+cos\pi\)
And then...what would would be my next step?
I wouldn't actually evaluate using the real pi number of 3.14 because we're not given calculators
OH! So I would have to find it on the unit circle?
sin(pi)= 0
cos(pi)=-1
So
-sin(pi)(0)?
-sin(pi)?

Is that the final answer? :)

Last edited:
riri said:
I'm assuming...yes?
Wait... except 0?

Is this chain rule method you showed me how you evaluate using continuity to evaluate this kind of limit? :)

The chain rule was used only because it was needed to differentiate $f$.

We have:

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(0)=-\sin(0+\sin(0))(1+\cos(0))=-\sin(0+0)(1+\cos(0))=-\sin(0)(1+\cos(0))=-0(1+1)=0\cdot2=0\)

So, it is defined...and in fact it is defined for all real $x$, so we know $f$ is continuous. So, now you may write:

\(\displaystyle L=\cos\left(\lim_{x\to\pi}\left(x+\sin(x)\right)\right)\)

For a continuous function, we may use:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a}f(x)=f(a)\)

Can you proceed?

riri said:
...So here's where I have another question. So I'm not done yet I need to use the limit x-->\pi
so it becomes -sin(pi+sin(pi)(1+cos\pi\)
And then...what would would be my next step?
I wouldn't actually evaluate using the real pi number of 3.14 because we're not given calculators
OH! So I would have to find it on the unit circle?
sin(pi)= 0
cos(pi)=-1
So
-sin(pi)(0)?
-sin(pi)?

Is that the final answer? :)

Sorry, I didn't notice you had edited your post until now. This is how I would finish...we have:

\(\displaystyle L=\cos\left(\lim_{x\to\pi}\left(x+\sin(x)\right)\right)\)

And using \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a}f(x)=f(a)\) we then may write:

\(\displaystyle L=\cos\left(\pi+\sin(\pi)\right)=\cos\left(\pi+0\right)=\cos\left(\pi\right)=-1\)

Related to Using Continuity to evaluate limit of a trig function

1. What is continuity in relation to evaluating the limit of a trig function?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function. In the context of evaluating the limit of a trigonometric function, continuity ensures that the function approaches the same value from both sides of a given point.

2. Why is continuity important when evaluating the limit of a trig function?

Continuity is important because it allows us to accurately determine the limit of a trigonometric function at a specific point. Without continuity, the limit may not exist or may produce an incorrect result.

3. How do you use continuity to evaluate the limit of a trig function?

To use continuity, we first need to check if the function is continuous at the given point. If it is continuous, we can simply evaluate the function at that point to find the limit. If it is not continuous, we can use algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities to manipulate the function and make it continuous.

4. Can you provide an example of using continuity to evaluate the limit of a trig function?

Sure, let's say we want to find the limit of the function f(x) = sin(x)/x as x approaches 0. Since this function is not continuous at x = 0, we can manipulate it using the trigonometric identity sin(x)/x = 1 when x = 0. This gives us the new function g(x) = (sin(x)/x) * (x/x) = sin(x). Now, we can evaluate the limit of g(x) as x approaches 0, which is equal to 0. Therefore, the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 is also 0.

5. Are there any special cases where continuity may not apply when evaluating the limit of a trig function?

Yes, there are a few special cases where continuity may not apply, such as when the function has a vertical asymptote at the given point or when the function has a removable discontinuity at the given point. In these cases, we need to use different techniques, such as L'Hopital's rule, to evaluate the limit.