Use chain rule to find rate of area increase

In summary, at 10 seconds the area of the circle is increasing at a rate of 2500 square metres per second.
EricPowell

Homework Statement

32) A stone dropped into a pond at time t=0 seconds causes a circular ripple that ravels out from the point of impact at 5 metres per second. At what rate (in square metres per second) is the area within the circle increasing when t=10?

Homework Equations

I need to use the chain rule dy/dx = dy/du x du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The area of a circle is A=∏r2
Differentiating this formula will tell me the rate at which the area increases for a specific radius
dA/dr=2∏r

The rate at which the radius increases is 5 metres per second, so I think that would be expressed as
dr/dt=5m/s

I need to find the rate of change of the area of the circle at 10 seconds. Using this chain rule, I think this would be found with
dA/dt=dA/dr x dr/dt
where dA/dt is the derivative of area as a function of time. So multiplying these derivatives gives me
dA/dt=dA/dr x dr/dt
=(2∏r)(5m/s)
=(50∏rm)/s
The radius at 10 seconds by multiplying 5m/s x 10s =50m. So I substitute 50m in for r.
=(50∏(50m)m)/s
=(2500∏m2)/2

I'm struggling a bit in my calculus class and I'm a bit unsure about all of this. Am I going in the right direction with my solution attempt above?

Also I noticed on these forums that people are entering equations and formulas in "fancy text", if I may call it that. What I mean is making math stuff look like what one would see in a textbook, as opposed to using unicode characters like I did above. How can I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
## A = \pi r^2 ## and ## r = vt ##, so $$ \frac {dA} {dt} = \frac {dA} {dr} \frac {dr} {dt} = 2 \pi r v = 2 \pi v^2 t $$

You did well till this point. But you made a mistake in arithmetic then.

To see how to write in the "fancy text" (which is properly called LaTeX), hit the Quote button on my message.

How did you get ##r=vt##?

I got that exactly the same way you got "The radius at 10 seconds by multiplying 5m/s x 10s =50m. So I substitute 50m in for r." I just used letters instead of numbers.

Ah of course. ##v## for velocity and ##t## for time.

I'm still a bit confused about what you did after though. What does ##dr / dt## equal?

$$ \frac {dr} {dt} = \frac {d(vt)} {dt} = ? $$

I am so confused by all of this T_T

Okay so...if I am understanding this right ##dr/dt## is the rate at which the radius changes with time. If the radius is changing at ##5m/s##, does that mean that ##dr/dt=r/t##?

Wait I think I get it.
##\frac {dr}{dt}= \frac {5m}{s}= \frac {r}{t}= \frac {vt}{t}= v##

EricPowell said:
Wait I think I get it.
##\frac {dr}{dt}= \frac {5m}{s}= \frac {r}{t}= \frac {vt}{t}= v##
Why are my fractions so tiny?

If you agree that ## r = vt ##, then you obtain the derivative by just following the rules.

If you do not know what ## r ## really is, you need to make some assumption. The assumption in this problem is that the wave propagation speed is constant, which brings you back to ## r = vt ##.

## foo ## makes inline expressions (small). $$ bar $$ makes "display" expressions (big).

$$\frac {dA}{dr}=2πr$$
$$\frac {dr}{dt}=v$$
$$\frac {dA}{dt}=2πr×v$$
$$=2πvt×v$$
$$=2π \frac {5m}{s}×10s× \frac {5m}{s}$$
$$=2π×50m× \frac {5m}{s}$$
$$= \frac{1570.796m^2}{s}$$

Is this correct?
Oh I messed something up there with my formatting.
Ok fixed my formatting.

Last edited:
##π∏## Just testing different pi symbols
$$π∏$$

Your answer is correct. Good job!

Thank you so much for helping me Voko :)

One more thing. You can have multiline math text in the display mode:
$$
line \ 1
\\
line \ 2
\\
etc.
$$

Related to Use chain rule to find rate of area increase

1. What is the chain rule used for in finding the rate of area increase?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that is used to find the derivative of a composition of functions. In the context of finding the rate of area increase, the chain rule is used to calculate the derivative of a function that represents the area of a shape, where the shape is changing with respect to time.

2. How is the chain rule applied in finding the rate of area increase?

The chain rule is applied by breaking down the function that represents the area into smaller functions, and then finding the derivative of each function individually. The derivatives are then multiplied together to get the overall derivative.

3. Can the chain rule be used for any shape?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for any shape as long as the function representing the area of the shape is differentiable. This means that the function must be continuous and have a well-defined derivative at every point.

4. Is the chain rule the only method for finding the rate of area increase?

No, the chain rule is not the only method for finding the rate of area increase. Other methods, such as implicit differentiation or differentiating with respect to a variable other than time, can also be used to find the rate of area increase.

5. How can the chain rule be applied in real-world situations?

The chain rule can be applied in many real-world situations, such as calculating the growth rate of a population, the rate of change of a stock price, or the rate of change of a chemical reaction. Essentially, the chain rule can be applied whenever a quantity is changing with respect to another quantity.